Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Books

Old 13-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator
Amazon self publishing -anyone?

I know this isn't strictly "spiritual" -more technical I suppose.

But does anyone have any experience with Amazon Kindle self-publishing?

I have a book 3/4 finished. It should be complete before Christmas. I am researching the Kindle self-publishing option for it, and am a total newbie at this.

If anyone has tried this, or done a book this way -all ideas, and feedback would be interesting and welcome.

My book is about my quite dramatic life with a rescue dog. I am not looking to get rich, but would just like the book out there, and would obviously like it to do well.
Advice and ideas welcomed!
Old 13-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Ecthalion

I shall keep an eye on this thread. I myself am writing a novel and should soon be finished. I would love to get it published but I know that will be hard. Self-publishing may be expensive though. Hope someone can enlighten us.

Good luck Tobi, I wish you every success.
Old 13-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
I know this isn't strictly "spiritual" -more technical I suppose.

But does anyone have any experience with Amazon Kindle self-publishing?

I have a book 3/4 finished. It should be complete before Christmas. I am researching the Kindle self-publishing option for it, and am a total newbie at this.

If anyone has tried this, or done a book this way -all ideas, and feedback would be interesting and welcome.

My book is about my quite dramatic life with a rescue dog. I am not looking to get rich, but would just like the book out there, and would obviously like it to do well.
Advice and ideas welcomed!

Can't help you I'm afraid, though I wish you the very best of luck with that.
Good for you!

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 13-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Master
Hi Tobi and Ecthalion

I don't know anything about the Amazon publishing,,,

I used Lulu:

http://www.lulu.com/gb

It's really easy,,,

You can design a hard copy and an e-book, pdf version which works on all e-readers,,,

Once you design it and are happy with the layout it can go onto Amazon to extend your selling range,,

All the best with your publishing

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx
Old 13-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Master
Also it's FREE!!

The books are printed to order,,,,

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx
Old 13-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Master
Good luck Tobi!
Old 14-10-2013, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks Saggi, for that as-yet-unthought-of-idea!

I have been doing more investigation into the Amazon Kindle option tonight. It's free, of course, for absolutely anyone who wants to self-publish their work (except it appears that Microsoft "Word" is the optimum software required for the word-processing -and download of Word can cost a small amount of money.) I am looking into other possible free options for this. Apparently Amazon do have something which will set up the text, to make it Kindle-friendly....but I am in the midst of researching this tonight, and haven't worked it out yet.
It has all become so technical suddenly.

Meanwhile, all I feel like doing is writing like a demon! haha! Not really in the mood for all this 'office' stuff !

As I discover new info. about Amazon Kindle publishing, I will drop it in here, in case it is of any use to anyone.
Old 16-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Gryneos

I want to do it, too, whenever I finish my own book (technical difficulties at home at the moment.)

I sometimes read J. Konrath's blog, and he has a good eBook on self-publishing. Most of his sales come from Amazon, and he's become quite successful through eBook sales, versus when he was "traditionally" published. Take a look at his blog. You may have to search his archives for those posts that are more about the publishing aspect, but there are some other good blogs he recommends for help, too, such as David Gaughran's Let's Get Visible

My only problem with reading all these blogs and ebooks is that I'm then not writing
Old 17-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator
Interesting ideas, Gryneos. I'll take a look at those.

Yes, the problem with self-publishing (which I've never tried before ) seems to be that you have to be "head cook and bottle washer" all rolled into one, and have to involve oneself in text format, advertising, copy-editing, sales, marketing, etc etc....when all you really want to do is write! I would prefer not to have to do any of these techie, or 'office' things, and just get on with what I'm better at, the creative stuff...but I have to admit, it is a great opportunity for unknown writers to have a chance.
The old ways were soul-destroying! Finishing the book, writing a treatment (synopsis) then sending this off to umpteeen agents/publishers in the post, along with at least 4 or 5 sample chapters (all quite expensive to do) -getting everything continually rejected, and having to start all over again...it cost a fortune.
I once got a book published, in the 1990's. It was beginning to do ok -ish, with some international sales, and just covering my advance.... and then my publisher went out of business in a spectacular way -owing thousands to everyone...

Then oddly enough I discovered that anyone who had already been published (especially if they had written anything which had crashed-and-burned) had a very much harder job getting any new work accepted! And that it was, in fact easier for new writers!

So I can't help thinking that the self publishing idea might work out ok, so long as I can get my head round the technical aspects. At least writers are given a chance. I feel there is so much good work out there, so many fascinating stories to be told, by people with some talents, who may never have been given an opportunity if the old ways still ruled.
Old 17-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Gryneos

Hi Tobi

Konrath also mentions editors and formatters he uses, people that will make the cover and format the book to whatever eBook format you desire. I'm sure there are plenty others out there they may be linked to his site as well.

One idea he had over a year ago was for a kind of eBook service that would do all of that stuff for a percentage of the returns, for the life of the eBook, which is usually perpetual. Considering that Amazon gives 70% royalties versus a maximum possible of 17.5% from "legacy publishers" even a percentage as high as 15% would still leave a writer doing far better through Amazon than any of the big-six publishers. I don't know if anyone has started such a business, but I'd like to find out. I could live with "only" 55% royalties