Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 17-04-2012, 02:55 AM
MaliMarie

It's nothing personal towards Jim Carrey, I just find it hard to laugh at him. But I'll give the movie a chance, Henri77. I like critiquing movies lol.
Old 17-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Master
Jim carey drives me nuts too......I've seen him in one serious role, and i loved him in that......and i loved Bruce almighty also.....but some of his other stuff...well.....not funny just too ridiculous for words......peace x
Old 17-04-2012, 06:02 AM
MaliMarie

LoL that's how I feel about him.. He laughs at himself too much I guess.
Old 18-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Master
I did like Eternal Sunshine as well and it was quite a different role for Jim Carey. I was never a fan of his movies either, although the Majestic is good. But his role in Eternal Sunshine was very good. You get to see him in a different light. As for Will Ferrell...blech...
Old 18-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Mountain-Goat

Another different role for Jim Carrey is Number 23

As for Will Ferrell, try Stranger than Fiction.
Old 18-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Henri77

Jim Carrey is a huge advocate of meditation, actually.

He's made gazillions on his over the top comic "gifts" , yet like Steve Martin is smarter than he let's on, though is a kid at heart.

never saw 23, but the truman show was a bit different for him.

I despised Steve Martin, playing an idiot....in early films... yet his true gifts were revealed when he tempered his humor with drama and writing...

Imagine my astonishment ,
when I discovered funny guy John Favreau , directed both Ironman 1 & 2

Who'd have guessed!!
Old 19-04-2012, 07:19 AM
hawkmoth65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri77
Jim Carrey is a huge advocate of meditation, actually.

He's made gazillions on his over the top comic "gifts" , yet like Steve Martin is smarter than he let's on, though is a kid at heart.

never saw 23, but the truman show was a bit different for him.

I despised Steve Martin, playing an idiot....in early films... yet his true gifts were revealed when he tempered his humor with drama and writing...

Imagine my astonishment ,
when I discovered funny guy John Favreau , directed both Ironman 1 & 2

Who'd have guessed!!
Oh yes Steve Martin,I thought it was just me that didn't like him.I've yet to see a film of his that is funny.
Old 19-04-2012, 08:53 AM
MaliMarie

number 23 was a wonderful movie. I forgot about it when I said 'any Jim carrey movie' lol. It was a serious role and I think that's why I liked him in it. When he's trying to be funny it's like he's trying too hard.
Old 19-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarian
Oh, good god, anything with 'the rock' in it has to be bad. lol... which reminds me of "The Pacifier" and AC if you are still with us for a time still...the horrid movies I've watched like White chicks... My daughter would rent movies and coax me into watching them with her...oh, the agony... I've seen plenty of really bad ones...
Actors like Dwayne Johnson(the rock), Vin Deisel, Arnie, Van Damn...
they are action actors, and the movies are merely vehicles for the persona/image they embody.
IE "it's an arnie movie or a van damn movie"
Some of these actors can only do one role while others have more of a range.

I've only seen 2 Dwayne Johnson movies and i quite like his acting chops.
He enjoys making fun of himself in order ot break free of the wrestling machoman persona he created there.

It's similar to if you are ultra handsome actor.
Jonny Depp and Brad Pitt were in danger of being type cast into particular roles but they both opted to stay clear of such things and took on unusual quirky roles to show they were more than pretty faces.

The same thing happens with beautiful actresses being type cast into sexy idealised female roles.

Sarian, you can simply stop watching the horrible movie your dawta coaxed you into watching.
Old 19-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri77
Ironman 2 , while Downey is similar in both...
has possibly the best sci-fi movie villain of the decade

Mickey Rourke as Ivan Vanko is superb.... brilliant, relentless, yet we still feel for him. And he's far more interesting-complex than Tony Stark.

not since Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) (Blade Runner) ... can I recall such an interesting, complex villain... one who we still empathized with

there probably are others (in a sci-fi film) but those 2 I couldn't help but love , empathize with. Now that's good writing.

The thing i have noticed with super hero movies, even right back to Superman I with Christopher Reeves, is that when the villian comes into movie, half the movie is dedicated to exploring their story.
The movie stops being a super hero movie and becomes super hero and super villian movie.

Sometimes, like The Dark Knight, it becomes a super villian movie.