Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 07-06-2017, 11:50 AM
Lorelyen

I think it just happened. Early in teens my curiosity about dreams was awakened. I started asking questions. Mid teens - because of a mention of dreams and a few other issues I met a family friend who inspired my interest in "the universe within" giving enough suggestions to point to a path but warned that paths can develop and change. A good start al the same. The search for Self. The "rising above" social conditioning.

But now I realise I "was spiritual" a lot earlier in pre-teens being a rebel against my parents and, looking back, the thing I missed at the time was that I was my own being, not my parents'. It was a rebellion that came to crisis point. It had its advantages like steering me clear of religion although I initially paid it lip service. Still do, in some ways but don't subscribe to it.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
What happens when a 'belief' chooses a person, Baile?
Good question and I would explain it this way... What you are describing is a 'truth.' I call them soul-depth understandings.

Belief: Jesus was crucified and died for our sins.
Truth: Whether Jesus existed or not, makes no difference with regards to his message of loving each other.
Beliefs are always bound by the belief-system that created them.
Truth is universal and is not bound by belief-system limitations.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Master
I think what Baile is saying, ill use me for an example, i was taught to believe in a certain religion most of my peers also believes in that religion. One thing that religion strictly teaches is that is the only way and all the other ways to believe is wrong. But we really do have choices. One day i did open up and explored, i am still exploring and growing. Another little belief of mine is like a tree,you eather grow or die.my thoughts on beliefs in general are, if it gets you through the day without hurting anyone or yourself its a good one. If it helps you to become a better person. Even better! Please correct if i am wrong. Oooops balie you posted before me.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Good question and I would explain it this way... What you are describing is a 'truth.' I call them soul-depth understandings.

Truth: Whether Jesus existed or not, makes no difference with regards to his message of loving each other.
We must of been writing at the same time to answer the same question. Sorry Baile
Old 07-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
my thoughts on beliefs in general are, if it gets you through the day without hurting anyone or yourself its a good one.
Good one. This another way to distinguish belief from truth. Belief very often is about judging, recrimination, breaking down and destroying even. Think religious apocalyptic belief for example.

Whereas truth raises up and inspires. There is instant recognition of some higher inspiration at work, something constructive that adds to creation. I've used this example a couple times this week, Goethe's write-up about commitment: "The moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred." Instantly recognizable soul-truth. And as you can see, without any specific religious belief-affiliation.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
What else is there? This place? No.
No story; it is a sense that is inside each of us...we follow it or we don't.
We are hardened or we are thirsty and open, full of wonder and eager to learn more.

This ^^^^

I was a very open child, which is amazing considering the environment I was raised in. I talked to God quite naturally from the word go so I was always in touch with something more. I did have a crisis in my teens but that's another story. I had to rediscover spirituality later on and I turned to more new age practices as an adult.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Master
Quote:

What about personal truths vs beliefs then? what of that?

For example, I may say that God exists. You may disagree with me.

You may say "It's only your belief that makes God exist for you because He does not exist for me".

Then, I could say "I don't have to believe in God to know God exists because it is one of those 'soul-depth understanding' things you speak of".

You may say "I don't have the same soul-depth understanding that you do and ergo, it is only your belief, not mine and you are seeing God because you believe and without belief, God doesn't exist".

Then I will say "This is a personal truth that is self-evident and you believe God does not exist, but I know he does".

So then it all becomes a matter of perspective - yours vs mine irrespective of the fact that I am aware that God is a universal truth and you do not.

I just feel that something got way simplified in your attempt to put everything in a nice little box that 'explains everything'.

Then again, I can fully accept that I am totally different from the collective human psyche as you understand it - the total exception to the rule, as it were.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Suspended
Guide
Hello,
I am spiritual because " I AM "

KRB
Old 07-06-2017, 03:12 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
For example, I may say that God exists. You may disagree with me.

Then I will say "This is a personal truth that is self-evident and you believe God does not exist, but I know he does".
I guess I would simply point out that it's a non-argument. Nobody can prove the existence/non-existence of God. It's an opinion, either way. Using my Jesus example: the belief Jesus died for our sins is an opinion. It can't be proven. Whereas the truth (his message of love) is recognizable as universal. Truth is just true, it doesn't require belief in any particular religious tenets.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Master
Quote:
I guess I would simply point out that it's a non-argument. Nobody can prove the existence/non-existence of God. It's an opinion, either way. Using my Jesus example: the belief Jesus died for our sins is an opinion. It can't be proven. Whereas the truth (his message of love) is recognizable as universal. Truth is just true, it doesn't require belief in any particular religious tenets.
So are you saying that anything that can't be proven is just a belief then? because I have to disagree with you there - but this is the classic to and fro that Theists and Atheists have been having for millennia.

I just know that I did not 'believe' Shiva into existence - He's been around since the dawn of time and was spoken about even before I arrived on the planet.