Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 29-12-2016, 01:15 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
Why not be confidently arrogant or arrogantly confident?

I think you and I could play
Old 29-12-2016, 01:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
In my opinion, self-confidence is about knowing what one can and can't do and having trust in yourself. Arrogance is all about impressing people and claiming to be more than you are while looking down on others.
Yeah, I like this definition too. Self-confidence stems, as you say, from an honest appraisal of one's abilities, whereas I think arrogance has insecurity at its root.
Old 29-12-2016, 06:53 AM
Suspended
To quote Mike Tyson.

"To become great you have to be arrogant, when you've become great, you're confident."

People will seek to make you feel smaller when you feel great, but those people are doing that for the exact reason that they don't feel that they can be great, or they have great qualities. Arrogance can be a very useful quality when you have a goal, to think 'yep, I'm the best for that position' for a job, I guarantee it'll help you get it.

Imagine you run a business and someone turns up with total confidence in their ability, but you interview that person with a small person beside you. Someone who doubts themself consistently and genuinely thinks this is useful to them. Then this confident individual comes in, says 'I can do everything required in this job, and I can do it brilliantly' - the small person will call that confidence arrogance.

arrogance is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 29-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei
To quote Mike Tyson.

"To become great you have to be arrogant, when you've become great, you're confident."

People will seek to make you feel smaller when you feel great, but those people are doing that for the exact reason that they don't feel that they can be great, or they have great qualities. Arrogance can be a very useful quality when you have a goal, to think 'yep, I'm the best for that position' for a job, I guarantee it'll help you get it.

Imagine you run a business and someone turns up with total confidence in their ability, but you interview that person with a small person beside you. Someone who doubts themself consistently and genuinely thinks this is useful to them. Then this confident individual comes in, says 'I can do everything required in this job, and I can do it brilliantly' - the small person will call that confidence arrogance.

arrogance is in the eye of the beholder.

hi this is all very true it seems to me for the people you talk about
but not for me I found there is a an other possibility to be all i am
that does not lie in one or the other at all its not great or small
or such things
but some thing else altogether and it works an is real and i have to do nothing for it ,its just what i am myself
Old 29-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighter
Where goes the limit between good self-confidence and arrogance?

For me true self-confidence is something which is not dependent on outside circumstances (including feedback from others). Other ways it could easily be taken away again and you would have no influence on it.

Arrogance is where people mistake their achievements or possessions for who they are and try to show it off to other people. And this need to show it off can only come from a place of lack of self-confidence... because you are seeking for validation from others to feel good about yourself.
Old 29-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighter
Hi everyone!

Where goes the limit between good self-confidence and arrogance?

I personally have never had any appreciation of what self-confidence actually feels like.

Self-confidence comes about when one doesn't feel any less valuable than the next guy. One knows who they are for the most part and carries him/herself with head held high. I believe the person with self-confidence draws more people to them, because they are confident with themselves, but not belittling of, which people respect.

But arrogance (which usually is a form of over-compensation for a low self-esteem), can hurt other people if that arrogance makes others wrong at ones expense. Arrogance, even when it's a spiritual person, can be hard to stomach and I would think over time, the arrogant person would find less and less people wanting to be around him/her.
Old 29-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Pathfinder

As seen here, self-confidence is arrogance. No personal self is required in confidence as you are fully aligned with Self.
Old 29-12-2016, 10:35 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
In my opinion, self-confidence is about knowing what one can and can't do and having trust in yourself. Arrogance is all about impressing people and claiming to be more than you are while looking down on others.

I agree with this!..:)...In my opinion, the difference comes down to the person's intent...Just by listening and observing, I can either feel someone who's just plain being Real/being authentic/self-aware vs someone who's trying to convince me of something/sell me something/trying to shove something down my throat, etc...
Old 29-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Master
While arrogance has no room for humility confidence can, and often does, express itself with humility.
I humbly have confidence because of the connection I have with my deeper being; a foundation which
I can depend on and that gives me great confidence.
Old 29-12-2016, 11:18 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfor
As seen here, self-confidence is arrogance. No personal self is required in confidence as you are fully aligned with Self.

it is all lines in the sand. But self confidence is like money, that you use to attract others to yourself. If you want to learn something, let it go and let the others go with it.