Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 14-01-2020, 09:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
The point being made here is the philosophical similarities and cultural interactions between the Indians and Greeks which continued during the time of Alexander in the fourth century B.C.
Quote:
It is hard to verify that India had no contact with rome and greece even at that time with new archaeological discoveries cropping up all the time now.
There was contact because of Alexander's conquest. There is no evidence for contact pre-Alexander.
Why would Pythagoras depend on India to believe in reincarnation? Can't he have come up with it by himself?

Quote:
Many Greeks in Alexanders time had themselves converted to Buddhism then.
How many? Which 'Greeks', the ones that travelled to the east? Interesting topic by the way.
Old 14-01-2020, 10:41 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
There was contact because of Alexander's conquest. There is no evidence for contact pre-Alexander.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancien...ndia_relations

Quote:
Why would Pythagoras depend on India to believe in reincarnation? Can't he have come up with it by himself?

The third-century AD greek philosopher Philostratus had claimed that Pythagoras also studied under Hindu sages in India.This could be due to the teachings of reincarnation and vegetarianism propounded by Pythagoras, which evidently had an eastern scent.

Modern scholars have also speculated that Plato may have also been to India or studied under Indian sages, due to the similarities between his philosophy and Indian philosophy.

Same goes for the identical similarities between the Shivalingam and the Orphic Egg.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 14-01-2020, 10:48 AM
Master
If they had been to India it would’ve been written down. Such a journey would be special in a time where people were relatively new to such faraway places. I also just don’t see why belief in reincarnation and a vegetarian diet (which is debatable) should come from India. Beliefs in creationism didn’t all have to come out of Israel either. You catch my thinking here?
Old 14-01-2020, 11:21 AM
Master

Quote:
If they had been to India it would’ve been written down. Such a journey would be special in a time where people were relatively new to such faraway places. I also just don’t see why belief in reincarnation and a vegetarian diet (which is debatable) should come from India. Beliefs in creationism didn’t all have to come out of Israel either. You catch my thinking here?

As shown in the links there has been references to each other country and traditions in the written scriptures and books.

Also Greece is not that faraway from ancient India, which included Afghanistan in those times both by land route and sea route.

There was strong trade and cultural relations between India and Mesopotamia as well, and this could also have further facilitated cultural and trading links between Greece, Rome and India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus-...amia_relations

I would say this is a possibility because they were the only civilized nations in those times and probably would have been interested in interacting with each other.

As the saying goes, “Birds of a feather flock together".

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 14-01-2020, 11:33 AM
Master
Quote:
As shown in the links there has been references to each other country and traditions in the written scriptures and books.
Yes, because they had contact. This was after Pythagoras. Where is the evidence of Indian food, goods and teachings in Europe, or Greek food and goods in India, before Alexander? Possibly indirectly through Persia as a proxy but nothing grand.

Later on, post-Alexander, Indian culture seem more impacted by Greek culture than the other way around.
Old 14-01-2020, 12:36 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
It is because they are so sure that they are God. I don't find it that obvious. I really struggle with the principle. I am much more at peace with it now but it caused great heart ache in the past.

There is this great movement going on in society lead by the New Age, Gnostics and Hindus which claim I AM God. I am like; really? Wait a minute are you sure?

As I said I am much more at peace with the idea now.

As far as I remember there have always been people claiming that they are God irrespective of relegion.
Also,want to add I am Hindu and I am not God.

God bless you
Old 15-01-2020, 04:44 AM
Master

Quote:
Yes, because they had contact. This was after Pythagoras.
How can you proclaim for sure this was after Pythagoras when the third-century AD greek philosopher Philostratus had claimed that Pythagoras also studied under Hindu sages in India.

Quote:
Where is the evidence of Indian food, goods and teachings in Europe, or Greek food and goods in India, before Alexander?

I have mentioned about Indian articles like the Shivalingam being exhibited in museums in Rome. Western scholars like Will Durant have speculated on the similarities between Plato's philosophy of the philosopher-king and the Rajarshi ( saint-king) of Indian philosophy.

Quote:
Possibly indirectly through Persia as a proxy but nothing grand.

Persia was a direct land route between India and Greece as well, and the Persians were a great civilization in itself then. This also could have brought about trade and cultural ties with the Greeks and not just the Mesapotamians.

Quote:
Later on, post-Alexander, Indian culture seem more impacted by Greek culture than the other way around.

India gained in terms of sculpture and astrology from the Greeks, and Greeks like the Greek king Menander and others were influenced by Buddhism. Menander is even considered to be a great benefactor to Buddhism on par with Ashoka the Great.

The dialogues between Menander(Milinda) and buddhist monk Nagasena is a great historical work available today as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milinda_Panha

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/milinda.pdf

Old 24-01-2020, 06:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Live and let live, others beliefs don't bother me at all as long as they don't hurt others. Anger is a waste of energy unless you use it for the good of yourself and others, for example..... standing up for the injustices in the world.

Being at peace with the idea is good but you should question why outside influences are causing you stress which comes from within not without...

Name a belief system that has not hurt others?

The only one that comes to my mind is Jains.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 24-01-2020, 06:42 AM
Master

Long before, Lumanians were vegetarians ...
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 24-01-2020, 07:21 AM
MAYA EL

So India is to blame for the terrible spiritual state the world is in