Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 13-12-2017, 03:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
I guess there are exceptions to everything. But where I'm stuck is that MOST rich people will do no such thing, and MOST rich people will be very mean to people they think are less than them.

Furthermore you didn't address my issues with the rich essentially buying insulation from life. How can you learn about something if you deliberately insulate yourself from it?

Meanwhile there are many people who will never have the luxury of being rich. They have needs, but basicaly noone cares.

Ok..... I'll just say it.....I am a businessman and a distributor for a major oil company.....and very well off financially and you are stereotyping those who have achieved financial success through...frankly, one hell of a lot of hard work over the years.

I own some ranch property which like all the rest of Texas is over run with wild hogs.....at least once a month my grandson and I go out and spend a whole weekend killing and butchering hogs ( an enormous amount of physical work) and donate them to the food bank to feed the poor an.d the homeless

I've spent time in Africa and even lived for a bit over a month with the Tsemay tribe in Ethiopia....not as a wealthy tourist but working and hunting right alongside of everyone in the village...

I have travelled all over the third world.....have you ever heard of the Darien Gap??? I spent 3 weeks walking through it with nothing but a knife, back pack and a recurve bow!

And I started out as a farm boy who's entrepreneurial spirit pushed him to be successful.......

Perhaps you have been influenced by the media who push nothing but class warfare?

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!

Last edited by Lucky 1 : 13-12-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 13-12-2017, 08:01 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
But anyway in my experience if you have money it clutters up your 'thoughts' in a way that doesn't happen if you don't have it. But I guess you either see that or you don't. As a people we are pretty adamant that money is good even though those who are better than us have basically said it is a lie that you can get anywhere spiritually while having it.

I disagree. Why would having money clutter up our thoughts? We could equally say that a lack of money clutters up our thoughts because we are continually worrying about bills and rent and credit card debts. Having money removes all these worries, and gives us more choices. We can pursue our spiritual interests more easily because we can afford to do the things we want.

Money also gives us the luxury of time. We do not need to spend hours every day working at unsatisfying jobs just to pay the bills. Instead, we can meditate, do yoga, read books, go on retreats, etc.

There is nothing inherently spiritual about poverty. Maybe we need to let go of the idea of spirituality as monks living with no possessions or sadhus wandering the country with only a loincloth and bowl. Few of us live this kind of lifestyle.

And wealth does not necessarily mean insulation from the hard facts of life, unless you are born into a life of wealth and privilege. Many wealthy people did not start out wealthy, as Lucky1 has said. So we have experience of ordinary life with all its difficulties. If circumstances mean that we then become wealthy, we do not forget all our earlier experiences. For myself, I am filled with immense gratitude and a desire to help others, because so many people struggle with the practicalities of life.

Peace.
Old 13-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I disagree. Why would having money clutter up our thoughts? We could equally say that a lack of money clutters up our thoughts because we are continually worrying about bills and rent and credit card debts. Having money removes all these worries, and gives us more choices. We can pursue our spiritual interests more easily because we can afford to do the things we want.

Money also gives us the luxury of time. We do not need to spend hours every day working at unsatisfying jobs just to pay the bills. Instead, we can meditate, do yoga, read books, go on retreats, etc.

There is nothing inherently spiritual about poverty. Maybe we need to let go of the idea of spirituality as monks living with no possessions or sadhus wandering the country with only a loincloth and bowl. Few of us live this kind of lifestyle.
And wealth does not necessarily mean insulation from the hard facts of life, unless you are born into a life of wealth and privilege. Many wealthy people did not start out wealthy, as Lucky1 has said. So we have experience of ordinary life with all its difficulties. If circumstances mean that we then become wealthy, we do not forget all our earlier experiences. For myself, I am filled with immense gratitude and a desire to help others, because so many people struggle with the practicalities of life.

Peace.

Exactly!!! I couldn't agree more!!!

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 14-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Master
Excellent thread and provocative commentary, Fallingleaves.

I am reminded that I read (in relation to a 'new' translation of the gospels from the Aramaic) that the word for 'camel' is very similar (looking) to the word 'rope' as written in Aramaic. So the saying, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."(from most translations) should read ""It is easier for a rope to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

Whatever ...

The issue when evaluating the relative wisdom (or lack thereof) of such statement then becomes what did Jesus mean when he referenced "the kingdom of God."

My 'sense' is that he did not mean anything that depends on 'earthly' 'riches' for actualization/realization.