Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 20-06-2013, 03:23 PM
32silver

Help

I need some ways to meditate I'm not sure where to begin
Old 20-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Experiencer

There are many different ways to meditate. I started out with guided meditations when I was a beginner. These are meditations where there is music and a person speaking, guiding you through the meditation and visualizations. It helps you to develop visualization skills.

There are meditations with just music or tones, such as Tibetan singing bowls, didgeridoo, or binaural beats. You can meditate with crystals. You can repeat a mantra over and over. A very popular one is "Om Namah Shivaya". Or you can just meditate in silence, which may be the hardest for beginners.

If any of these stick out to you, I'd suggest going to Youtube and typing in the keywords for the type of meditation and you'll find plenty of results.
"It will remain remarkable, in what ever way our future concepts may develop, that the very study of the external world led to the scientific conclusion that the content of the consciousness is the ultimate universal reality." -Eugene Wigner, physicist and Nobel Prize winner.
Old 23-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Master
Yep, if you're a beginner then guided meditation's a good idea - it's all about physical and mental stillness, and a good guide will talk you through it, step by step, to help you achieve this.

Your sitting position's very important, there's a good guide to different positions here. The important thing is that you're comfortable and alert.
Old 23-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Pathfinder
I wrote this post a long time ago. I hope it can help you.

I sometimes think, just the word 'meditate' can send lots of people off in a tizzy as if it was some really hard state to obtain where only those seasoned and taught in the art of meditating can do. Yes there are more advanced forms of meditation that require some knowledge, but for our purposes I'm going to give you a basic form of meditation that can help bring your mind and body into a state that we need you to be in to best sense your psychic senses (which I will explain below).
I am however, fully aware, that mediation even in its simplest form can be difficult for some people. Remember, I mentioned above that to be effective in the exercises in this group, we need your body in a relaxed state and your mind fully alert. Meditation is only one way to achieve this. If you find you cannot get yourself into the relaxed state needed through meditation find other ways to relax yourself. Use things that help you relax. Some people like to light a candle and the soft ambient light that flickers lightly is enough to relax the body. To others using the scent of aromatherapy helps sooth the senses and calm the body. Even music can be used to help transform the mind into a more calm state. (although using thrash metal or the like might not be conducive to calm the mind. :))

The idea is to use the method you feel most comfortable with to bring your body into a restful state and your mind fully awake and aware.

Basic Meditation Technique:
  • Get yourself comfortable. You can sit or lie down. It is often suggested to sit, because sometimes when we lie down and begin this process we can fall asleep. That is how relaxing this exercise can be.
  • When you are comfortable, close your eyes and begin to take several deep breaths. When you breath in make sure to take in enough breath to expand your diaphragm. Then when you exhale, push out the air from your diaphragm. This is also called.. breathing from deep within your belly. Take as many breaths as you need and with each breath just focus on relaxing your body.
  • Now begin to imagine a bright white light above your head. Imagine the light coming down and entering your body from the top of your head (crown) As it fills your mind, focus on your third eye (inner eye). You can feel tingling on the head when this happens, this is nothing to be alarmed about. Let the light fill your mind allowing it to sharpen your mental senses.
  • Now imagine that light begin to travel down your body filling and enveloping every cell within your body. Feel the warmth surround you as you continue to bring your body into a more relaxed state and your mind fully awake.
  • Start to move systematically through your body and tell it to physically relax or go to sleep. Mentally tell your neck and shoulder muscles to relax and go to sleep. Feel the muscles physically relax. Then move to your arms and tell those muscles to physically relax and go to sleep. Continue to your chest muscles, then your lower abdomen, your legs until you finally reach your toes. Tell every muscle in your body to physically relax or go to sleep and then feel it while keeping your mind fully alert.
You should now be in a complete relaxed state but your mind fully awake and aware. You are now ready to begin the exercises into discovering and exercising your psychic muscles.

To bring yourself out of this state.. if you haven't fallen asleep ;).. use the counting system. chose a number to count to, like five. and mentally say to yourself as I count to five, my physical body will waken. When you get to five your body will be fully awake once again. Start counting.

Now word of advice: If you do any type of relaxing technique where you bring your body into a complete relaxed state. After you bring yourself out of this state.. don't go running out to operate machinery immediately. Everybody comes out of a relaxed state at different rates. Make sure you are fully awake and aware before you go for a drive.

What I would like you to do, is practice... practice practice practice! Get used to bringing yourself into this state of being, for the more you do it.. the easier it gets. It is also in this state where you are most sensitive to the energies around you.
Old 23-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjemacdonald
I need some ways to meditate I'm not sure where to begin

Find a book called: "The Book of Secrets" by OSHO

it contains detailed explanations for nearly every meditation technique that there is

the best advice that I can give you, is for you to not take meditation so very seriously

make it like an earnest play, the way a child plays a game

Why is it that you have developed an interest in meditation?

What do you hope to gain from it?

:-)
Old 23-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Steven

There are as many ways to "meditate" as there are activities in the human experience ;-)

Understanding "why" you want to meditate, or what you want to get out of it helps to narrow things down a bit, in terms of helping you find a starting point :-)

Last edited by Steven : 24-06-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 24-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Summer Foxx

That is correct. There are many different ways to meditate. And you have to find the very one that works for you. I like amylou's answer. Guided meditation. :) When you are starting out meditating, I think it is best to listen to someone guide you through it. YouTube has a bunch of guided meditations that I listen to. Find the one that has a person who has a very soothing voice.
Old 29-06-2013, 06:08 PM
32silver

Meditation

Just wanted to thank you for the advise