Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 31-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
Sky, by dharma I mean the truth, the path, 'the teaching'. I probably should have used another word because I wasn't referring only to the ideas taught in Buddhism, but spiritual teaching in general.

Markings, basically, the idea is that we're ALREADY aware, and when we deeply recognize that, mindfulness happens naturally and effortlessly. Of course, he goes into great detail, being a full length book. But that's the main idea in a nutshell.

BT, I was just trying to emphasize how highly I recommend the book. And I basically agree that there are no shortcuts. On the other hand, certain practices are more effective than others, although as sky noted, not every practice is right for everyone.

Thanks HS, I understand what you mean now. You will find in Buddhism that they usually use Dharma ( capital D ) for the Buddha's teachings, I will check your book later now I have a sample
Old 31-10-2017, 06:10 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Markings, basically, the idea is that we're ALREADY aware, and when we deeply recognize that, mindfulness happens naturally and effortlessly. Of course, he goes into great detail, being a full length book. But that's the main idea in a nutshell.

BT, I was just trying to emphasize how highly I recommend the book. And I basically agree that there are no shortcuts. On the other hand, certain practices are more effective than others, although as sky noted, not every practice is right for everyone.

It's an idea? Wow it's effortless? Go Marketing! Whatever helps you sell the books, Stephen.
Old 31-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree
It's an idea? Wow it's effortless? Go Marketing! Whatever helps you sell the books, Stephen.

Yes sometimes people change their names
Old 01-11-2017, 03:47 AM
Experiencer

I didn't write it. My name is David.

I just wanted to recommend it because it really helped me.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 AM
Guide

Quote:
Sky, by dharma I mean the truth, the path, 'the teaching'. I probably should have used another word because I wasn't referring only to the ideas taught in Buddhism, but spiritual teaching in general.

Aren't we ALREADY aware that we are ALREADY aware? Isn't that a Buddhist core idea going back centuries, if not millennia?
But then, spelling that out would not be a good marketing plot for a new book.

What really gets to me is that we use the internet, the greatest global communications system we ever had, to disseminate a huge amount of information but very little that contains some substance.

It just becomes more noise in an already noisy world.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:43 AM
Master
Quote:
I didn't write it. My name is David.

I just wanted to recommend it because it really helped me.

As they only give you a little taster in a sample I can't judge this book, but from what I got it's like any other, different ways of looking at things which is what is normal, if it works for you HS that's good.

As for the Author.... he certainly has quite a good business going. I noticed his very expensive Courses & Retreats. His 'School for Awakening ' made me
Old 01-11-2017, 11:24 AM
Experiencer

Markings, I agree probably any sane person knows they're aware. It's more like a conscious noting. With mindfulness, you note the objects of awareness. But it may be easier to note awareness itself.

Sky, well, it's not like ANY other, it's just like SOME other books. Before reading this book I was already familiar with the teaching to 'be aware of awareness', and I knew of teachers who taught that. So yes, there's definitely similar material out there. I found this book particularly readable though.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Markings, I agree probably any sane person knows they're aware. It's more like a conscious noting. With mindfulness, you note the objects of awareness. But it may be easier to note awareness itself.

Sky, well, it's not like ANY other, it's just like SOME other books. Before reading this book I was already familiar with the teaching to 'be aware of awareness', and I knew of teachers who taught that. So yes, there's definitely similar material out there. I found this book particularly readable though.

The book is about mindfulness so it's like any other book about mindfulness, same basic ideas, that's what I meant.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
Aren't we ALREADY aware that we are ALREADY aware? Isn't that a Buddhist core idea going back centuries, if not millennia?
But then, spelling that out would not be a good marketing plot for a new book.

What really gets to me is that we use the internet, the greatest global communications system we ever had, to disseminate a huge amount of information but very little that contains some substance.

It just becomes more noise in an already noisy world.

+1

There are plenty of free Buddhist books which point simply and concisely to awareness/enlightenment.

Luang Por Sumedho in particular comes to mind: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/in...-awareness.pdf

I have nothing against books and authors but this idea that it is some new butter on a stick, or makes things "easier", is marketing intended to line the pockets of the author. Ergo, I am not a fan
Old 01-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:

Hi happy soul

Please forgive my assertion yesterday that you are the author.

I wrote hastily but I had felt that many of the phrases you referenced sounded like a marketing ploy. I use the word "ploy" because I felt that it sounds like you are saying this book introduces something new, when in fact, like sky123/markings allude to, these concepts are centuries old and there are many thousands of teachers who have spoken/written about it, some - such as from Luang Por Sumedho - who are genuinely realized/advanced teachers {a much safer bet, as there are nuances to Buddhist practice which only a genuinely realized teacher can know}.

Also, your use of the phrase "notes awareness" leads me to believe that, if this is what the author references, he is misleading in his guidance. There is no greater oxymoron in Zen Buddhism so I urge any other readers to refrain from such a great marketing book. I am glad it worked for you however.

Thanks for listening,
BT