Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 17-05-2015, 10:00 AM
Knower

Hipacritical mind

I've noticed that when I'm in a situation when I know I have to think positive, my mind will think of something terribly negative. For example: when in a Buddhist temple receiving a teaching we were told to imagine Buddha himself in front of us. When I did, my mind imagined doing somthing horrible to him.. But I didn't want to think that. In no way would I ever want to think violently. I'm not a violent person at all.

So why does the mind contradict and do thing contrary to our morals?
Old 17-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanb
I've noticed that when I'm in a situation when I know I have to think positive, my mind will think of something terribly negative.

Its a combination of learned behaviours, childhood conditioning, ingrained beliefs and possibly trapped energy from unwanted experiences. Its not uncommon, each of us in some way has a form of or awareness of an underlying knowing.

Visualising within a relaxed state can sometimes be ideal situation for blockages to raise to awareness. This could cause confusion and frustration as the activity meant for positivity seems to become tainted by a subtle negative awareness.

The negative image you had may not be as you believed it to be, but more so of a symbolic nature triggered from blocked energy. In a way there is a positive aspect here as experiencing this is a way of your inner self asking you to look at this and not to fear what may have been put away through choice and is working to make you aware correctly.

As I said its not uncommon and that each of us has a form in some way. Don't be too hard on yourself with this image, consider this to be a mere fraction of what immense positive goodness you have that overwhelms this awareness.

Part of your practice here may also be raising your negative experience here for healing, continuous spiritual development requires healing old wounds. Consider being the observer, acknowledge the image as it flows past your awareness as you remain with your essential goodness.
Old 17-05-2015, 10:45 AM
celest

Quote:
I've noticed that when I'm in a situation when I know I have to think positive, my mind will think of something terribly negative. For example: when in a Buddhist temple receiving a teaching we were told to imagine Buddha himself in front of us. When I did, my mind imagined doing somthing horrible to him.. But I didn't want to think that. In no way would I ever want to think violently. I'm not a violent person at all.

Where you thinking of the Zen koan, 'if you meet the Buddha on the road kill him ' ? Which is meant to dissuade us from following a spiritual guru, mybe in your subconscious mind your questioning your Teacher. Just my thoughts, I could be wrong, others will come up with other ideas.
Old 17-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by celest
Where you thinking of the Zen koan, 'if you meet the Buddha on the road kill him ' ? Which is meant to dissuade us from following a spiritual guru, mybe in your subconscious mind your questioning your Teacher. Just my thoughts, I could be wrong, others will come up with other ideas.

No, i wasn't thinking about the zen koan.

What i am referring to is, when i tell myself i should not think bad thoughts, that's exactly what i do. It's like the scene from "Inception"

He tells a guy not to think of elephants, then he asks the guy what he's thinking about.. He replies "Elephants"

The mind can be comparable to a child's behavior.
Tell a young child not to throw a stone and the likelihood of the child doing exactly that is pretty high.

But... i think the question is.. if my mind is really me then why is it doing things i don't want it to do?
Old 17-05-2015, 12:40 PM
celest

Stop telling your mind to stop thinking bad thoughts and see what happens, simples
Old 17-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Master

Hello Humanb,

These are the intrusion of negative forces which deliberately resist the Divine, especially assertive when people are awakened and begin to transform their lives consciously.

It may seem like it is originating in you because the mind attaches to it and identifies with it 'automatically' (out of habit) once it intrudes. One of the goals of meditation is to focus consciousness to break this habit of mind which does the same thing in other ways you may not even notice. This case is noticeable because it is disturbing.

Since all is one, these forces are also part of the 'inner landscape' - not just 'outer', 'real-world' phenomena. As such, they must be rejected or ignored when they arise in the conscious awareness. After some practice they will subside, but sometimes they put up a terrific fight to remain. Spiritual aspirants just have to be patient, vigilant and persistent, e.g. practice this, in order to transcend the negativity. It is part of the ignorance in physical existence where all forces and motives have expression - but the key is - you don't have to participate in it.

As usual, I recommend the writings of Sri Aurobindo to clarify and gain insight, specifically on this subject .

~ J
Old 17-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir
Hello Humanb,

These are the intrusion of negative forces which deliberately resist the Divine, especially assertive when people are awakened and begin to transform their lives consciously.

It may seem like it is originating in you because the mind attaches to it and identifies with it 'automatically' (out of habit) once it intrudes. One of the goals of meditation is to focus consciousness to break this habit of mind which does the same thing in other ways you may not even notice. This case is noticeable because it is disturbing.

Since all is one, these forces are also part of the 'inner landscape' - not just 'outer', 'real-world' phenomena. As such, they must be rejected or ignored when they arise in the conscious awareness. After some practice they will subside, but sometimes they put up a terrific fight to remain. Spiritual aspirants just have to be patient, vigilant and persistent, e.g. practice this, in order to transcend the negativity. It is part of the ignorance in physical existence where all forces and motives have expression - but the key is - you don't have to participate in it.

As usual, I recommend the writings of Sri Aurobindo to clarify and gain insight, specifically on this subject .

~ J

Thank you for the reply. I agree with what you say as it seems to ring true with my experiences and i must admit that it seems more dominant since i began my path of spirituality. I think the only way to overcome these negative cognitive patterns is with great determination and Diligence.

I know that i have made great progress since i spiritually awakened and personally i believe it's important to not doubt or down yourself. I know i do sometimes but i forget the person i used to be and that's when i realize i just need to be patient and remain determined.
Old 17-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Kamila

Quote:

Because ur worried that u might think something thats the opposite of who you are ...i do the same thing and ppl pick up on it and think thats wat i actually think wen in fact i dont i just worry that someone will assume such about me...i guess its like projecting thoughts at ppl but you dont mean it im pretty sure it has something to do with worrying too much :P (((hugs)))
Old 17-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Quote:
LOL...that mind!! That crazy mind!

It is it's nature. (resisting the Divine, thank u, J.)

Like the nature of a scorpion or a lion...their nature is different
than a sparrow's or a squirrel's or even an elephant's.

I laugh at those silly thoughts...I used to trick the mind (I don't need to anymore)...
so if I pictured stabbing Buddha, let's say,
I would then take the knife and cut him up into little ittybitty, teeny pieces until
he vanished and there was nothing left of him, poof...
there, Mr. Mind...
nothing to scare me with anymore! So there!

Ok, so let's continue in peace now.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru