Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 15-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Blooms Bright

new deck ~ Thoth influence

I have been exploring and making connections with my deck. I love the art and resonate with the symbolism. However, discovered some challenges, as the artist combined or blended some of the Thoth characteristics with RW.

I really love this deck and would like to continue working with it. Can anyone suggest some reading materails that may help? The little book included was
not very informative and did not give any reasoning for reversed cards as well.

Any advice would be welcomed as I've come to a stand still.

~Bright Blessings
Old 15-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Medium_Laura

My advice is to not even think about the book and go with your gut feelings. The cards meaning change for me depending on the client. I've never read tarot with the traditional meanings and I do very well with clients.

As for reversals, you can see them as blocks to the card upright. So if the lovers comes up reversed. Think of that card as "You are afraid to make a choice, you fear you'll make the wrong one."

Hope that helps.
Old 15-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Blooms Bright

Thanks Laura, you are right...I tend to overthink my abilities. Not often do I question readings from others, but lack self confidence when reading for myself. Ugh...I know better, LOL!
Old 15-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Medium_Laura

hehe takes time to build that trust in self. Keep working on it :)
Old 15-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Adagio11

@Blooms: I agree with Laura completely. I have always been one for intuition over instruction--isn't that what all of this is all about?

@Laura: I like the way you think. I've read a lot of your posts and tend to agree with you a lot. Maybe it's our Northern Mid-West attitude? ;)
Old 15-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Medium_Laura

Hehe :) Yep probably so. I say it like it is and don't mince words :P I swear I should have been from NY :P
Old 15-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Knower

I understand what you guys are saying, since I started reading tarot I have just been using my instincts( sometimes using online tarot sites for meanings) but today for the first time I have decided to read a book on the tarot.

I think knowing the history of things can sometimes be informative and can bring out my thoughts ( intuition) and deepen understanding.

For instance as I ve been reading the book ive been making notes that have come form my own intuition.

Obviously 100% trust in oneself is where we are all heading but along the way guidance is somewhat needed.
Old 15-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Medium_Laura

I learned intuitively first and then after I could read for 4 months on my own, I was allowed to then read what "other people's" interpretations of the cards were. Remember that Tarot was once a card game. It later became a divination tool and has morphed and changed through the years. The books, are simply that decks creators "intuitive and historic" take on the cards :)
Old 15-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium_Laura
I learned intuitively first and then after I could read for 4 months on my own, I was allowed to then read what "other people's" interpretations of the cards were. Remember that Tarot was once a card game. It later became a divination tool and has morphed and changed through the years. The books, are simply that decks creators "intuitive and historic" take on the cards :)

I understand complete what you’re saying, I agree that one should go with one’s own intuition and that over reliance on using books etc to interpret would not be good.
I understand that these books are just ones persons perspective on the history etc. It can also be argued that using ones intuition is the same.

It’s just my own personal preference of wanting to know what’s already been written sometimes. But yes knowing too much can sometimes be a hindrance I.e. rely on that source instead of coming into your own.