Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 25-12-2015, 10:12 PM
Newbie ;)

I'd love to learn about Native American traditions but there's so many lies out there

So many people who have not an ounce of blood from any Native tribe in them (as I myself do not) claim to have "native american spirit guides" and to have been trained by "real medicine men" and all that, that it's difficult to find real information. Are there any people who are actually, truly of Native American descent on this forum, who know about REAL "shamanism", whom I could talk to to learn more about this stuff?

I really hate it when people steal the traditions of other cultures, but at the same time I believe we have a lot to teach each other. Properly I am in the European witchcraft tradition (though as a solitary practitioner who has yet to meet or work with any others, or even really to scratch the surface) but I feel that some form of "shamanism" would suit me in what I want to do - totem animals, spirit journeys, etc - especially as my distant ancestors, worshipping the Great Goddess and the Horned God, would have been doing similar things.

I feel that it is part of my destiny to learn how to interact with and receive wisdom from spirits of all kinds - ancestors, plant spirits, animal spirits in particular, which is an important part of the Witch Cult as well. My goal is to learn how to be a conduit for spiritual power for healing, especially emotional or spiritual healing, as I long to bring light to the world.
Old 26-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Administrator

I Have Native blood in me and Thunder Bow is Navajo. its surprising how many people claim to be Native and are not.you need to learn the ways of a certain tribe one at a time.

Namaste
Old 26-12-2015, 04:09 PM
Suspended
"Real" Shamanism ? If your a "Shaman" you will already know it. Seems you are seeking an old world Celtic Pagan path.
Old 26-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
I'm Canadian First Nations (Canadian Native American) and there are quite a few Native members on Sf. If your European based you could take look at Celtic Shamanism as its more compatible with Witchcraft from I've been led to believe.

Though I'm like most of my people and we don't tend to share our beliefs much with outsiders because we have been burnt by it in the past. We also don't charge for medicine work. Other tribes might but my people don't as it's against our belifes.

Makoiyi

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!
Old 26-12-2015, 05:54 PM
Knower

As Thunder Bow said, shamanism is not really something you can choose to do. You may want to interact with the spirits, but what do they think about it? World-wide it's quite uncommon, and circumpolar: Scandinavia, Central Asia, Japan, northern North America.

The Native American shamanism was the most "democratic", with most men achieving some spirit contacts via a vision quest. That involved fasting in a sacred place under the guidance of experts. Messing with spirits without such guidance may fall in the "don't try this at home" category. Certainly, if you live in the US there's evidence that some local spirits can take a dim view of Anglos:
http://www.paganachd.com/articles/killyouandeatyou.html
Old 26-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann
As Thunder Bow said, shamanism is not really something you can choose to do. You may want to interact with the spirits, but what do they think about it? World-wide it's quite uncommon, and circumpolar: Scandinavia, Central Asia, Japan, northern North America.

The Native American shamanism was the most "democratic", with most men achieving some spirit contacts via a vision quest. That involved fasting in a sacred place under the guidance of experts. Messing with spirits without such guidance may fall in the "don't try this at home" category. Certainly, if you live in the US there's evidence that some local spirits can take a dim view of Anglos:
http://www.paganachd.com/articles/killyouandeatyou.html

As politically incorrect as it may be i have have a tremendous amount of help from spirits from various cultures and probably primarily native and jew. I am not a jew. I am not a native. I am a person whom was not into any particular spirituality, cultural, or religion I did have an interest in my own journey. And if it was my choice maybe i would of decided something more familiar to my back ground.

But it is whatever it is. The spirits from what i can gather arent into the politics like we are down here. They are into helping those whom they wish to. Weather anyone wishes to acknowledge that or not doesnt change anything. They are not bound to the things that some become bound to down here imo.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 26-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Deactivated Account
Just so its clear. Im not referring to cultural preservation

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 26-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel91
I really hate it when people steal the traditions of other cultures, but at the same time I believe we have a lot to teach each other.

I think people are unconsciously drawn to their origins and not so much "faking it". I am not one who is drawn to anything native american but I think I can relate to people, say white, European types who have native american guides and wear Navajo jewelry for example. We are all fragmented essence. Some folks are drawn to Atlantis, Lemuria, Asia, Africa yet they have no known connection. there's a reason for that. Long lost memories or past associations.
Old 26-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Newbie ;)

Thank you all for your replies. As for Celtic Shamanism, I'll look it up, but I don't think of myself as specifically Celtic. I am a syncretist - I prefer looking for the God and Goddess in all faiths, which is why I feel comfortable with the idea of taking inspiration from traditions not of my own ancestors. After all, Andrew Chumbley was the founder of the Cultus Sabbati, a group dedicated to the Witch Cult, and he combined stuff from Sufism, Aztec beliefs, and all sorts of things into it.

As for the idea of native spirits of this country being uncomfortable with or harmful towards people of European descent, I don't mean to be rude, but that sounds like a projection resulting from white guilt, a disorder from which I do not suffer. Any spirits of any country will be kind to true seekers who can prove - possibly through sacrifice - that they deserve it and that they care for the spirits and traditions of that land. I intend to prove my worth to the spirits long before I start attempting to seriously interact with them.

Furthermore, the various branches of my family have lived in the American South for several generations now, and it feels, in my blood, like my home - no matter where I go, part of my soul will always be here and will always love this region. I suspect, based on this feeling, that whatever spirits are here know me and accept me, because I would not be able to feel comfortable in this place otherwise. Admittedly I hate the climate, but the land though - the land is wonderful. Also I have always, since childhood, had this feeling of a protective energy, almost a mildly sentient force, around my home and yard that I have felt seems to love and protect my family. I cannot back this intuition up at all, it's just a little feeling, but it's more evidence that I am accepted here, by the land and its soul.

Thunder Bow, could you clarify your statement? I don't understand what you mean when you say, "if you're a shaman you would already know it." I'm aware that for most shamans there is a calling, a shamanic sickness, etc., you're sort of forced into it. However I have never been gifted with any sort of calling. I called myself. I am aware this means my path will be much more difficult, but it is the only worthwhile path for me. I have no interest in Celtic Paganism any more than any other faith, as I see it as only a single manifestation of a universal faith which is interpreted in many ways in many cultures.

As for guidance from experts, unfortunately there is no way I could access such guidance, at least in my present position in life. Perhaps someday. Until then I shall be guided by dreams, visions during meditation (which are not uncommon for me, though never hallucinatory), and other sources of inspiration. I shall not embark on anything like a vision quest until I can be utterly certain that I am ready and that I can achieve it - which will not be for QUITE some time yet. I have a lot of growing, maturing, and self-improving to do before then.
Old 26-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Suspended
"Native American" forum is probably not the right place for your inquiries. Your posts are covering a wide rage of spiritual topics. Much that I am not familiar with as an Navajo. Example: A "Witch" to us Dine' is much different than what you are describing here.