Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 24-05-2020, 07:31 PM
Experiencer

Problem with Strongs Exhaustive Concordance

While I do find the Strongs Exhaustive Concordance to be a useful tool.. I have a hard time with it because it is based on the King James and they both have added or wrongly translated something to support Dogma. For example they translate the word Pharmakon as Sorcery.. But I looked up Greek History on the subject and from what I can tell the word means The Administration of Food, Drink, Herbs or Salves as poison or medicine. Also the old testament Kashaph also defined as Witchcraft but it really means Herb User.

I'm just looking for a Dictionary of Hebrew that isn't biased to religious Dogma.
I'm looking at the Websters New World Hebrew Dictionary on Amazon.
Old 24-05-2020, 08:11 PM
Master

I believe that we should approach religious texts not at an intellectual / rational level, but at a direct cognition level, so we can understand the allegoric meaning of the message, and not to be blinded by the symbols used to convey that message.

In my opinion, any mechanical / one-to-one interpretation of religious texts misses completely the intended message.

Surely, it is better to have access to the most original version of the text you're studying, but to understand a foreign language with all its nuances, and especially an ancient language, requires an expertise you can't acquire in a reasonable amount of time, and anyway, the benefit will be insignificant if you look at it from the wrong perspective.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 25-05-2020, 04:21 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex
While I do find the Strongs Exhaustive Concordance to be a useful tool.. I have a hard time with it because it is based on the King James and they both have added or wrongly translated something to support Dogma. For example they translate the word Pharmakon as Sorcery.. But I looked up Greek History on the subject and from what I can tell the word means The Administration of Food, Drink, Herbs or Salves as poison or medicine. Also the old testament Kashaph also defined as Witchcraft but it really means Herb User.

I'm just looking for a Dictionary of Hebrew that isn't biased to religious Dogma.
I'm looking at the Websters New World Hebrew Dictionary on Amazon.

I think the Strong's concordance has stood the test of time.
It is what it is (reference material). It takes the King James and shows what
Greek and Hebrew words where used in the translation of the
King James based on the text and knowledge they had at the time.
It seems to me NOT very biased.Though everything is biased to a degree IMO. It is not an extensive word study.

Sorcery appears once in the new testament KJV. I know this because i used the Strong's.
It also tells me that it appears in acts 8:9

Quote:
9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:

Many believe the book of acts was written by Luke.So maybe you have a problem with Lukes writing.
Alright I can buy that.

Quote:
Strong's No.: G3096
Greek: μαγεύω
Transliteration: mageuō
Phonetic: mag-yoo'-o
Word Origin: From G3097
Bible Usage: use sorcery.
Part of Speech: Verb
Strongs
Definition:
to practice magic

Thayers
Definition:
1. to be a magician, to practise magical arts

Bible References:
Sorcery Act 8:9
Translation
Occurrences: sorcery ( 1 )

Now you can also see that there are other words related to sorcery.
Such as sorceries,sorceress,sorcerers,sorcerer
which use G5333,G5332,G5331
also G3097,G3095

So this statement of yours seems inaccurate.
Quote:
For example they translate the word Pharmakon as Sorcery
They translate Sorcery from the transliteration mageuō. (G3096)
Old 25-05-2020, 05:11 PM
ImthatIm

Tirisilex

Witchcraft in the Strong's is translated from kashaph H3784
which means whisper as in a spell.
Quote:
Strong's No.: H3784
Hebrew: כָּשַׁף
Transliteration: kâshaph
Phonetic: kaw-shaf'
Word Origin: A primitive root
Bible Usage: {sorcerer} (use) witch (-craft).
Part of Speech: Verb
Strongs
Definition:
properly to whisper a {spell} that {is} to inchant or practise magic

Brown Driver
Biggs Definition:
1. (Piel) to practice witchcraft or sorcery, use witchcraft

a. sorcerer, sorceress (participle)

Bible References:
Witch Deut 18:10
Translation
Occurrences: sorcerers ( 3 ) witch ( 1 ) witchcraft ( 1 )
Witchcraft is also translated from kehsem H7081 to divine as in divination.
Quote:
Strong's No.: H7081
Hebrew: קֶסֶם
Transliteration: qeçem
Phonetic: keh'-sem
Word Origin: From H7080
Bible Usage: (reward of) {divination} divine {sentence} witchcraft.
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Strongs
Definition:
a lot; also divination (including its {fee }) oracle

Brown Driver
Biggs Definition:
1. divination, witchcraft

a. of the nations, Balaam

b. of false prophets

c. in a good sense (king's lips as oracles)

Bible References:
Divination Num 22:7 Num 23:23 Deut 18:10 2 King 17:17 Jer 14:14 Ezek 13:6 Ezek 21:21 Ezek 21:22
Translation
Occurrences: divination ( 8 ) divinations ( 1 ) sentence ( 1 ) witchcraft ( 1 )

As far as other sources for information, I am sure there our thousands
of books and resources that will help you in your endeavor.
All IMO will have a bias. Good luck.