Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 21-11-2011, 02:44 PM
BlackWolf

Question Questions about Vision Quests

Does a Vision Quest usually take place in the Spring and Summer or can it take place in the Winter? Are ANY type of weapons typically carried on a Vision Quest? What about food?

When is the earliest in the year a Native American would typically go on a Vision Quest?

Reason for the questions: I am doing some research on this for a paper and these are just some questions I simply cannot find answers for elsewhere on the internet. Everywhere else explains what it's for, which I have already known that, duh. I am assuming no food, water or weapons of any kind are carried on a Vision Quest, but I need to ask the pro's first, and that would be you!

Thanks!
Old 22-11-2011, 03:41 AM
pre-dawn

From what I know about VQ's to carry no food or water would be highly irresponsible, purely from a medical/survival point of view. The same would go for doing it in extreme weather conditions.
The outcome of a VQ program should be inspired and motivated people, not dead ones.
Old 22-11-2011, 10:54 PM
BlackWolf

I suppose you're right. I just figure they would have to gather their own sustenance while they are out there.
Old 22-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Master
May I ask what kind of paper are you doing research on this for?
James
Old 23-11-2011, 02:42 AM
pre-dawn

As far as I understand a VQ is an extended period of aloneness in nature, without distractions such as radio, TV, books, fancy foods or an overabundance of foods, etc. The chosen environment and conditions allow realizations to surface which we usually keep under wraps.

Any very serious deprivation will result in self-preoccupation, anxiety and maybe panic. This will stall the processes a VQ is designed for.
VQ's are not survival courses, although the food supply may be such that one is encouraged to supplement it with what can be found.
Old 23-11-2011, 05:19 AM
BlackWolf

Shaman-I have to write a story for my last English class! I am so excited because I hate english! Whoo Hoo! lol. But I am really looking forward to writing this because it is actually something I care about and have an interest in. My great grandmother was Cherokee so it really lets me learn more about that part of the family. The rest of my family is all from England and Holland so it's kinda boring. Although I did just find out my great grandmother x 6 was accussed of being a witch back in the 1600's.

Dawn- When you put it that way it makes a lot more sense. Thank you very much for your help.
Old 23-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Celtic Goddess

As far as I know, according to Lakota tradition, a vision quest can be two days and two nights or up to four days and four nights. During the vision quest, the seeker is to fast--NO FOOD or water. No weapons are taken on vision quest and quests are usually made in warmer weather months. A person who goes on quest typically has a "helper"--sort of like a sponsor, who retrieves them from the quest spot and helps them afterwards, ie with taking food again, etc.
Old 23-11-2011, 05:07 PM
BlackWolf

Awesome Celtic Goddess!

Thank you!
Old 23-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWolf
Shaman-I have to write a story for my last English class! I am so excited because I hate english! Whoo Hoo! lol. But I am really looking forward to writing this because it is actually something I care about and have an interest in. My great grandmother was Cherokee so it really lets me learn more about that part of the family. The rest of my family is all from England and Holland so it's kinda boring. Although I did just find out my great grandmother x 6 was accussed of being a witch back in the 1600's.

Dawn- When you put it that way it makes a lot more sense. Thank you very much for your help.

Very cool!
Old 23-11-2011, 09:34 PM
CaramelDancer

From my experience with my own Vision Quest---no food, no water, four nights, five days, no weapons, no fire, no leaving your spot...unless you need to go to the 'bathroom'. Five nights if you include the preparatory night. Sweat before and after, in the first honouring the east and south directions, and after honour the west and north directions.
There is then a sharing and assimilation period, and finally, food! :)
Some traditions pierce in a very sacred manner as an offering during their Vision Quests. I did not because of my own preferences.
If someone does pierce though they might bring a small weapon for that.

It's an incredibly sacred experience.
It's something I doubt I'd do again because it is just quite hard, but it was an invaluable experience.

xo~