Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 13-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Master
Chochma, Binah, Daat --- Can someone explain concisely?

I've been reading a book on the Hasidim and there was a brief explanation of Chochma, Binah, and Daat in the book which resonated with me. I went online to research further but it was not a satisfying quest for a variety of reasons.

I was wondering if anyone here has a concise explanation of this process.
Old 18-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I've been reading a book on the Hasidim and there was a brief explanation of Chochma, Binah, and Daat in the book which resonated with me. I went online to research further but it was not a satisfying quest for a variety of reasons.

I was wondering if anyone here has a concise explanation of this process.

From my reading, it appears that Chochma is the "beginning", a seed thought or object of meditation. Binah seems to be the "development", which appears to be discursive thought or pondering the object of meditation. Daat is the "conclusion" which appears to be the AHA moment where one finally understands that which is being contemplated.

This seems very analogous to the first two Buddhist jhanas (absorptions), a practice that I've found to be very useful for years.

Those are just my thoughts on what I read but it would be good to hear some one from the Jewish tradition comment on this from a Jewish perspective.
Old 21-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
From my reading, it appears that Chochma is the "beginning", a seed thought or object of meditation. Binah seems to be the "development", which appears to be discursive thought or pondering the object of meditation. Daat is the "conclusion" which appears to be the AHA moment where one finally understands that which is being contemplated.

This seems very analogous to the first two Buddhist jhanas (absorptions), a practice that I've found to be very useful for years.

Those are just my thoughts on what I read but it would be good to hear some one from the Jewish tradition comment on this from a Jewish perspective.

When one meditates, all is revealed in one way or another. Since posting here, I've come in contact quite unexpectedly with a prominent Jewish Rabbi who confirmed my intuition on this subject. However, he preferred the word "connection" to my expression of an "AHA moment". That works for me. The question has been resolved.