Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 13-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by passnthru2
I started reading books on physical mediumship because I am really good dowser, and I cant see I could ever do the stuff you see them on TV. ..

Passenthru--

Interested in your post (for many reasons) but particularly because I've been interested in dowsing, but can't quite decide how to do it and what to apply it to.

Can you share what you do, how you do it? For what purpose do you dowse?

And so, do you recommend the book you referenced?

Sorry to interrupt the thread. Yours is a very interesting case. I think past scientists/left-brained people are good spiritual experimenters once they allow in the possibilities.

Interesting post.

Lora
Old 13-05-2014, 03:23 PM
VisionQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
I am attracted to Spiritualism (have been for some time), but I have reservations due to its history of fraud, especially in its beginnings of table rappings and "spirit photography" (ie double exposures and old fashioned camera tricks). How prevalent is fraud in modern Spiritualism? Are there measures in place to prevent it?

As prevalent as it is in Churches, in Government, in Corporations, and in homes!

and .... No , not as long as people remain Ego centered.
Old 13-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
Dip your big toe in first to test the waters. Never be in a hurry. Keep an open mind but also be a skeptic. Be careful where you put your trust. Don't be the first one in line. Observe before you act. Think about what you want before you move forward. Have your desires clearly defined.

Can you find your own answers or do you need the help of a medium or psychic? I know I can find most of my own answers myself, but the fear of the unknown often motivates me to seek another's assistance.

I'm also rubbish at ascertaining for myself. My mind, my big fat hairy mind, gets in the way. But I'm getting better at emptying myself so I can hear for my self - but I prefer to get reinforcement from another source if it's important.

It's really really hard to know who and how to trust and also not to throw your own power away. By chasing charlatans, there is a lack of responsibility to the self and not engaging the mind, not listening to what is said and offered and considering whether the reading is of substance. So yes, we need to be very very careful about who we approach for readings. I have a bunch of people that I trust, some who just don't / can't read me (but taht doesn't mean I think they are rubbish) and some that I have used where it felt like Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark rather than an opening of a door.

It does exist, we have a responsibility to our own self not to give ourselves away, not to trust where we might otherwise be cautious. And not to go hunting reading after reading as we need to weigh up the words given a little and engage with them - even if it doesn't sit right we have a responsibility to try and look at the words carefully before discarding the reading.

A lot of the time a metaphor might be used which can be confusing. Timing is often far out which throws off a reading.

we have brains - we can use them.
Old 13-05-2014, 03:59 PM
LadyTerra

I ran across a group of them--about 10 years ago.

Money can be a good indicator--however--the smart ones know this and ask for donations (instead).

What sent-up the red flags for me was the controlling and abusive behavior of their leader. She would criticize people for stating their impressions--or beliefs--if those beliefs differed from theirs.

She even told me that I should abandon my Guardians and Guides and follow hers (instead).

She (also) demeaned my Solitary Path in a public Circle Gathering.

My best advice is to remember that they are only human beings--no matter what their Gifts may (or may not) be. Be aware of the signs of an over-active ego--which begins (IMHO) with an insatiable need to be the center of attention and to be in control of everyone and everything.

Above all...follow your own instincts and inner-guidance--above all others.
Old 13-05-2014, 04:03 PM
LadyTerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
I am attracted to Spiritualism (have been for some time), but I have reservations due to its history of fraud, especially in its beginnings of table rappings and "spirit photography" (ie double exposures and old fashioned camera tricks). How prevalent is fraud in modern Spiritualism? Are there measures in place to prevent it?

My previous post was for you--Nova. I hope it helps.
Old 13-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Ecthalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazulu
The difference between skeptics, like yourself, and mediums is that skeptics don't give a darn about how people feel inside.
That is not true. I care a great deal about how people feel. That is why, when I see a distraught mother who has paid a lot of money to a con artist in a desperate attempt to hear from her child, I get angry on their behalf.
Quote:
In other words, psychics and mediums add value to people's lives by giving them hope. Skeptics destroy value, skeptics destroy peace of mind, skeptics destroy happiness.
I ask again - forgetting the honest mediums - what about the frauds, the con artists, the liars who say they are talking to spirits, but in reality are cold reading people. Are they better than sceptics?
Is it better to believe a lie (one which costs you financially) in order to be happy?

Quote:
Skeptics have their own propaganda campaign going. It's called cynicism.
Again, lies. I am a sceptic - that is true. I have an open mind and base my opinions on my experiences.
The only "propaganda" campaign, as you put it, that I have, is a search for honesty and truth. What is wrong with that Mazulu? Would you prefer it if I promoted dishonesty and lies?
Old 13-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Mazulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecthalion
That is not true. I care a great deal about how people feel. That is why, when I see a distraught mother who has paid a lot of money to a con artist in a desperate attempt to hear from her child, I get angry on their behalf.

Do you also get angry when a waiter is not very good and forgets your order? People have the skills that they have. If they're not good, then economic forces will force them out of that line of work.

Quote:
I ask again - forgetting the honest mediums - what about the frauds, the con artists, the liars who say they are talking to spirits, but in reality are cold reading people. Are they better than skeptics?
Honestly, I don't find too many mediums who impress me. Once again, if they stink at their job, they won't last.

Quote:
Is it better to believe a lie (one which costs you financially) in order to be happy?
We all believe lies. Even the physics community believes lies. A universe from nothing, an uncaused cause, is a lie. But we all do the best we can.

Quote:
Again, lies. I am a sceptic - that is true. I have an open mind and base my opinions on my experiences.
The only "propaganda" campaign, as you put it, that I have, is a search for honesty and truth. What is wrong with that Mazulu? Would you prefer it if I promoted dishonesty and lies?

When I was about 9 y/o, I lived in the French Quarter, New Orleans, Louisiana. There were Tarot readers who spent about 45 minutes with a client in return for a fair wage. The better ones got more business, as it should be. They were the seers who could give people insight and access to the spirit world. Of course the whole place was haunted anyway. The voodoo museum had its own tarot readers. It seemed like they were getting a boost from the other side; and from the strange entities that we saw, or the thing that chased my mom home one night, we had no reason to doubt this.

As in all professions there are skilled and gifted psychic mediums who help people feel better about their lives, and there are terrible ones that have been described by Lady Terra and others. The ones that you pay money to and return business are the ones that have the talents, skills and abilities to bring you hope and a sense of guidance from a place beyond this world. If you're not feeling positive feelings from the session, then don't return to that medium.

As for dishonesty and lies, there are probably psychic mediums who just don't have the talent, who apply their trade and find that they just don't get the business. I can imagine a really terrible reader who speaks only the truth (as they perceive it) but only says things that make their sitter feel worse; is this the kind of mediumship you are promoting?
Old 14-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Ecthalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazulu
I can imagine a really terrible reader who speaks only the truth (as they perceive it) but only says things that make their sitter feel worse; is this the kind of mediumship you are promoting?
No. I am not promoting anything.
Old 15-06-2014, 06:28 PM
The Wanderer

Hello Nova,

Here's my views. Lets hope I can get this right, I went a little off topic on my last post, but I am new on here!!!.

In over 40 yrs associated with Spiritualism, fraud exists. Now, how deliberate it is is another matter. What I have found is little deliberate fraud, but a good deal of self delusion.
Physical mediumship, of which I am happy to say I have had considerable experience of is particularly prome to criticisms. Now, over all this time I can make some observations:

In the average Spiritualist 'Church' I have found little fraud, in fact I doubt I have seen it. I have seen lots of people who THINK they are mediums and are of mediocre quality. This is not fraud as such, but people simply trying to demonstrate mediumship before they are ready and properly developed.

They are just not good enough links. This is common, so be aware of it. Its a question of quantity over quality.

Physical mediumship is another matter. I cannot say I have met much of it; but the dynamics are totaly different, and the conditions for a succesful seance are very different.

In the past, some mediums have been known to 'help the phenomena along' when they were getting very little, or were having a bad night.
Eusapia Palladino was known to do this, yet at other times was shown to be genuine. I have sat with one physical medium who demonstrated this, and genuine phenomnea also.

I have also sat with another well known physical medium demonstrating today who in my mind was an out and out fraud; and another one, who is a nice guy who 'THINKS' he is a physical medium and is nothing of the sort.

My mate sat with a physical medium in Preston many years ago who claimed to produce materialisations only to be confronted by a white robed figure during the seance wearing a pair of brouge's !!

Similarly, the physical medium whom I sit with most often is in my view 100% genuine. Always go with an open mind, and if it does not feel right and you are uncomfortable, then it probabaly is not. Yes, fraud exists (as in many things, there are the good and bad), but so does the real thing.

The Wanderer
Old 03-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Pathfinder
I believe that a lot of the "Fraud" was manufactured by some specific religious fanatics at the time. they hounded the sisters into abject poverty and alcoholism by constant nuisance lawsuits allowed to continue thru a conspiracy with the local judge. they finally said that if the sisters would admit to fraud they would stop harassing them and give them financial compensation in return. the sisters were destitute and homeless so they signed the confessions but never got a penny, they died soon after.