Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 17-07-2016, 05:22 AM
Master
It's Holistic

I came to say something about my life change to daily exercise and there were two forum sections: Exercise and Health. Good health is not any one thing, but everything, so I talk about health rather than exercise.

I joined a gym. I'm not into yoga styled things, but I have a history with martial arts. I'm into body strength, rock music and grunting. I can't stand sitar and whale-song and people who emphasise the 'ssss' when they say 'universe'.

You have to understand how diametrically opposed the rock and sweat mentality and the relaxation music and incense mind-set are, so this about personality type. In which case, for me, there's no use for doing yoga because those clowns want to hug everyone and I want to crush the life out of them, right? It's not that I'm better than or hateful toward that other approach to health, or, more importantly, vice versa; it's just ones health has to be a real sincere expression of one's personality - to suit who you are.

The guys at the gym are much stronger than I am, because I'm just starting, so there is a self conscious embaressment about looking like a weakling and lifting such light weights, but that's all part of the fun. Those blokes represent my potential and inspire me with aspiration, but I'm not in competition with anyone else; I'm just in it to find my limit and surpass it - do as best I can.

OK, so where does it start? People talk about the discipline involved, but I don't think that's the way to approach it. Building on personality type, it is about doing what one really wants to do. I want to be in there with muscles and metal. I don't want to be in a yoga type setting. Others may like the outdoors and go that way. I hate the outdoors and like it inside. What ever it is that is liked depending on whoever's personality. Do not do something you hate doing in the name of 'health'.

Health is a part of being yourself, and not only that, but being the best self you can be. It has the psychological and physical side, and a practice of spirituality. How centred I can be, how patient I need to be, how concentrated I need to be, how determined I need to be, and of course on off days when my head is a mess, I just need pure discipline... all of that is being exercised, practiced, and built up along with these hunky muscles which sate my depraved state of vanity.

I'm pretty amped with this life change from chair bound navel gazer to muscle bound ranter and raver, and if any reader is feeling the inspiration to 'get off the couch' so to speak, then more power to ya!
Old 18-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Master
I started out with a general workout, without knowing which movement works on what muscles, but just generally using the machines to get the body moving, but after a month it stopped hurting so I decided to be more focused and get a proper training schedule going.

I watched you tube videos to get some idea, and started to work more seriously. The first day I went in just to work on legs, to learn how to do proper squats etc, and just be more controlled in motion rather than lifting any heavy weights. Big difference, and it really hurts now. Today I went in to work on abs and chest, and I'm just starting with the free weights rather than the machines. I was fun, and again I used light weight to make sure my movement was just right. I'll see how that feels tomoz. I expect it's gonna hurt.
Old 18-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Master
Good for you, Gem! I'm one that prefers the outdoors, but I do workouts inside with certain workout programs. I have done some things at a gym with a buddy of mine but I got tired of the unpredictable nature of my friend(s) going. Not disciplined to go weekly. Years back, but not so much now. I tend to get self-conscious myself so I give you loads of credit for going. I do the trail running but like to go when no one is around. Going to start bike riding too. Got my old 10 speed completely refurbished. The loner in me creeps up a lot.

I need to do more strength training. I need to be more disciplined like getting up at 5 and putting in the time.
Old 19-07-2016, 01:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarian
Good for you, Gem! I'm one that prefers the outdoors, but I do workouts inside with certain workout programs. I have done some things at a gym with a buddy of mine but I got tired of the unpredictable nature of my friend(s) going. Not disciplined to go weekly. Years back, but not so much now. I tend to get self-conscious myself so I give you loads of credit for going. I do the trail running but like to go when no one is around. Going to start bike riding too. Got my old 10 speed completely refurbished. The loner in me creeps up a lot.

I need to do more strength training. I need to be more disciplined like getting up at 5 and putting in the time.

Right. I started o the gym on mid year break so I get up and 9:30, have a two hour breakfast and then get to the gym, so it's pretty easy when it's the one thing that I have to do on any day. As it turns out my abs and chest aren't in much pain today after yesterdays, but I guess that's because I didn't put any weight on and was just gettig the movement right. Today it's 20 minutes each on treadmill, bike, orbital and rowing machine... but I'll miss the rowing machine today because I think it has too much motion in the lower back and I don't have the right kind of core strength for it... yet.

In martial arts we were trained to feel right through movements and know body's natural flow, so I can tell when it's just a stress on bones, tendons and joints rather than the tension in muscle. Weight machines were good in one way because they hold you in place and have fixed motion, but the free weights and cables have to be controlled in all directions down to the little wobbles. Using free weights I can feel everything, and I use hardly any weight until the whole motion of exercise is correct.
Old 19-07-2016, 01:43 AM
Deactivated Account

Keep your core strong; that is where A LOT of power is, it's a stabilizer and it will keep your body balanced in ANY activity you dedicate yourself to.It's not an easy area to work though, however, I promise lifting or running will become manageable and easier by putting time and dedication into that area.. When I get sloppy or my body starts to become disoriented during a training our instructors always yell, " Keep you core strong, push through the core"! ( hehe) When reminded it puts be back into focus.

For the inquiring mind, the core muscle is also the Solar Plexus chakra:

Quote:
The third chakra is called Manipura, which means “lustrous gem.” Located around the navel in the area of the solar plexus and up to the breastbone, it is a source of personal power and governs self-esteem, warrior energy, and the power of transformation. The Manipura chakra also controls metabolism and digestion.

It's calling for you
Old 19-07-2016, 02:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover
Keep your core strong; that is where A LOT of power is, it's a stabilizer and it will keep your body balanced in ANY activity you dedicate yourself to.It's not an easy area to work though, however, I promise lifting or running will become manageable and easier by putting time and dedication into that area.. When I get sloppy or my body starts to become disoriented during a training our instructors always yell, " Keep you core strong, push through the core"! ( hehe) When reminded it puts be back into focus.

For the inquiring mind, the core muscle is also the Solar Plexus chakra:

It's calling for you

Yes indeed that core strength is the essense of everything else. In my younger years I worked in horticulture, shovel and barrow, lifting heavy stuff and crawling around weeding and laying turf and so on. It's all 'backbreaking' work. The usual way of it was the lighter tasks were given to female workers ad the boys did the heavy loads. Most people in the industry has some problem with their back, but I went til the age of 37 without even a tweek because my history in martial arts brings all strength back to the core. After that I was full time musician and then I went back to study, so I haven't been moving much for well over a decade now, and am really unfit and weak. That decline accelerates as I approach the age of 50, so it is necessary now to either restore my health or become progressively older and weaker. The other aspect is I don't like the way I look, and also training for aesthetic reasons.

I'm not really a chakra oriented person, but more realistic in pushing movement through the core, which I think is lower down below the belly button. You can compress into that and explode from there, but still need abs, sides, lower back and glute muscles for it to mean anything... I guess that's part of why it's holistic.
Old 19-07-2016, 03:14 AM
Gracey

I work out at the gym too. I do a 2.5 hour routine that consists of 10 minutes cardio. Then a 40 minute arm and back routine with weights. Then 10 minutes cardio. Then a 30 minute ab routine with weights. Then 10 minutes cardio, then a 30 minute leg routine with weights. Then another 10 minutes cardio. Then I stretch out a bit.

I am approaching the big 50 in a few years here. I use to be in tip top shape in my 30's. Then I stopped exercising. I started again not long ago and it sure is harder as you get older, but I still love the feeling I get from pushing my body to its limits. I like the feeling of sore muscles.

I work my abs pretty hard. I use a 25 pound donut on an incline bench and do 100 sit ups. I also twist while on the incline bench. I also put 40 pounds worth of donuts on my abs while laying down and just breath. This is an exercise that boxers use. It really works your inner core really well. You can actually feel the heat in your muscles while doing it. The first time I did it was with 10 pounds and I pulled a muscle. :) There is more to my ab routine, but these two give the most strength.

Any who, enjoy!
Old 19-07-2016, 05:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey
I work out at the gym too. I do a 2.5 hour routine that consists of 10 minutes cardio. Then a 40 minute arm and back routine with weights. Then 10 minutes cardio. Then a 30 minute ab routine with weights. Then 10 minutes cardio, then a 30 minute leg routine with weights. Then another 10 minutes cardio. Then I stretch out a bit.

I am approaching the big 50 in a few years here. I use to be in tip top shape in my 30's. Then I stopped exercising. I started again not long ago and it sure is harder as you get older, but I still love the feeling I get from pushing my body to its limits. I like the feeling of sore muscles.

I work my abs pretty hard. I use a 25 pound donut on an incline bench and do 100 sit ups. I also twist while on the incline bench. I also put 40 pounds worth of donuts on my abs while laying down and just breath. This is an exercise that boxers use. It really works your inner core really well. You can actually feel the heat in your muscles while doing it. The first time I did it was with 10 pounds and I pulled a muscle. :) There is more to my ab routine, but these two give the most strength.

Any who, enjoy!

Yea I'm at the level where I can't do a sit up on an incline bench. The best I can do is lean into the tension and then stay still keeping the back solid. When it starts to waver, that's it. Rest and repeat. However, I haven't really got into it, and I only worked once just to get a feel. Once I feel how it is meant to be, I'll start to find my limitations, and then move past them. I have to start with plancks along with other real basic stuff, and take it from there. I might try that breathing one, cuz diaphram is needed for everything ad it's not usually a 'worked' muscle. Good Idea.

Today the treadmills hurt much more than usual, and I had a really off day, but tomorrow is back and shoulders, which is all brand new to me as well. It's a bit awkward not really knowing what to do, but I'll muddle through and make sure it's right...
Old 19-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yes indeed that core strength is the essense of everything else. In my younger years I worked in horticulture, shovel and barrow, lifting heavy stuff and crawling around weeding and laying turf and so on. It's all 'backbreaking' work. The usual way of it was the lighter tasks were given to female workers ad the boys did the heavy loads. Most people in the industry has some problem with their back, but I went til the age of 37 without even a tweek because my history in martial arts brings all strength back to the core. After that I was full time musician and then I went back to study, so I haven't been moving much for well over a decade now, and am really unfit and weak. That decline accelerates as I approach the age of 50, so it is necessary now to either restore my health or become progressively older and weaker. The other aspect is I don't like the way I look, and also training for aesthetic reasons.

I'm not really a chakra oriented person, but more realistic in pushing movement through the core, which I think is lower down below the belly button. You can compress into that and explode from there, but still need abs, sides, lower back and glute muscles for it to mean anything... I guess that's part of why it's holistic.

Gem - You talking about the horticulture work reminded me why I came in the house and nearly collapsed with exhaustion, with hands and back pain from yard work. It surprised me because I ellipitical 50 minutes 4 days a week and weight train 3 days a week. I also do over 100 different types of sit ups and legs lifts every day. I thought I was in good conditioning, but every time I do that darn yard work - whoa I'm sore for days.

The thing driving myself to keep exercising is probably somewhat vanity. I don't want to get obese like my sedentary parents, just because another birthday has gone by. I used to be a gymnast way back in high school and after that got into running and step aerobics. I read a great quote about exercising: "If you think exercising isn't doing anything for you, just stop and see what happens." I love that quote. It's what motivates me to keep moving. Plus I think the older one gets the more important it is to keep ones heart strong through some form of cardio and bones strong to prevent osteoporosis through some form of strength training.

I would like to get into martial arts though I no longer like working out outside of my home with others and would have to take a class, I think. Either that or get a video I can try at home. I've grown more reclusive through the years.
Old 19-07-2016, 03:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
Gem - You talking about the horticulture work reminded me why I came in the house and nearly collapsed with exhaustion, with hands and back pain from yard work. It surprised me because I ellipitical 50 minutes 4 days a week and weight train 3 days a week. I also do over 100 different types of sit ups and legs lifts every day. I thought I was in good conditioning, but every time I do that darn yard work - whoa I'm sore for days.

The thing driving myself to keep exercising is probably somewhat vanity. I don't want to get obese like my sedentary parents, just because another birthday has gone by. I used to be a gymnast way back in high school and after that got into running and step aerobics. I read a great quote about exercising: "If you think exercising isn't doing anything for you, just stop and see what happens." I love that quote. It's what motivates me to keep moving. Plus I think the older one gets the more important it is to keep ones heart strong through some form of cardio and bones strong to prevent osteoporosis through some form of strength training.

I would like to get into martial arts though I no longer like working out outside of my home with others and would have to take a class, I think. Either that or get a video I can try at home. I've grown more reclusive through the years.

There's something about dirt that requires a that special kind of fitness which farmers and landscapers have. It's more like moving the body according to what has to be done, as opposed to doing repetitions. There is something about gardening which has an affect in the mind. I remember when I first started out in nurseries I started thinking more visually - about root systems growing etc... and it was a happier way of thinking than I used to.

I have been feeling better since I started training, I mean psychologically. Studying at uni is so goddam depressing, and I dropped down to one subject so I'd have more time and less dreary reading and deadlines that rush me into substandard writing. It's not just a body thing, but after going through the pain of a workout, it just feels better to be alive. Going through the pain of reading and writing essays doesn't have that kind of glowing after effect. On the contrary, it makes me feel half dead.

Tomorrow I have to learn all these weight exercises for back and shoulders. The deadlift and the overhead press look like they'll take a bit of practice. It'll be a good focused session and it's something to look forward to for tomorrow.