Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 02-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Master
is meduimship limited to only seeing the dead?

or do you view beings on other dimensions? aliens faeres etc etc

does seeing those beings fall under meduimship as well?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:32 PM
münchen444

Very good question, Rosewater!

As I have always understood it based upon my experiences in the paranormal and spiritual world in general (and meeting a wide variety of people with talents in a wide-range of various paranormal and spiritual phenomenon), a medium is someone who communicates specifically with the spirit of deceased humans via various extra-sensory means. I’ve personally never encountered someone who communicated with aliens, for example, who called themselves a medium in such a regard.

However, by definition, a “medium” is a means or channel by which to communicate, in a very basic sense. Just as watercolors would be the medium used by certain painters. Thus, I could understand someone who communicates with aliens, for example, using the term “mediumship” to indicate what they do. It’s a term that could have many implications and becomes particularly nebulous when entering the realms of the paranormal, which itself is nebulous (at least from a scientific view-point).

But this is exactly why I think it’s good to clarify what one means when they say they are a medium or speaking of mediumship, in general, if they are using it outside of the generally-accepted (in the paranormal and spiritual realms) context of communication with the spirits of deceased humans. Someone might wish to call themselves an “Extraterrestrial Medium,” for example, to indicate they communicate with aliens.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 PM
spirit72

Well, in my own experiences I have contacted guides, Angels, Spirit, and aliens, or what I call spirit from other realms...
And also a natural ability to talk to animals... I have also recently experienced fairies, from a reading for someone who is surrounded by them, and I was never really sure they were real but I am left in no doubt now
Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 PM
mac

I've been running various threads for over two years discussing and asking about what folks mean by medium or mediumship.

Unless one clearly defines either or both then little progress can be made with enquiries such as your own.

I've previously offered definitions for discussion but there is rarely anything fed back.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 AM
Master
i define it as contact with dead human souls, but what do i know lol
Old 03-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Experiencer
I would define channeling as aligning your frequency/vibration to allow another discreet entity to communicate through you using writing, speech or other methods of interaction.

The entity being channeled could be the spirit of someone with human lives, non-physical entities who have never experienced physical reality directly, currently living alien consciousness, angels, faeries, nature spirits, etc.

Just my 2 cents

Love and Light
Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleStrength
I would define channeling as aligning your frequency/vibration to allow another discreet entity to communicate through you using writing, speech or other methods of interaction.

The entity being channeled could be the spirit of someone with human lives, non-physical entities who have never experienced physical reality directly, currently living alien consciousness, angels, faeries, nature spirits, etc.

Just my 2 cents

Love and Light

The original posting asked about mediumship - not about channelling.

Do you see them as the same thing?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewater
i define it as contact with dead human souls, but what do i know lol

If they were dead, how would you be able to make contact?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
The original posting asked about mediumship - not about channelling.

Do you see them as the same thing?

I do see them as the same thing, I just prefer the channeling term. Hopefully that didn't confuse the issue.

Love and Light
Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM
earthprowler

Mediumship is the claimed ability of a person (the medium) to experience contact with spirits of the dead, angels, demons or other immaterial entities. A medium is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as the "supposed organ of communication with spirits".[2] The role of the medium is to facilitate communication with spirits who have messages to share with non-mediums. Mediums claim to be able to listen to, relay messages from, and relate conversations with spirit, to go into a trance (it is not necessary to go into a trance, it all depends on the medium's control and knowledge) and speak without knowledge of what is being said, to allow a spirit to control their body and speak through it, perhaps using a writing instrument (psychography or surreal automatic writing).

Mediumship is also part of the belief system of some New Age groups. In this context, and under the name "channelling", it refers to a medium (the channel) who is said to receive messages from a "teaching-spirit". In some cultures, mediums (or the spirits to whom they are connected) reportedly produce physical paranormal phenomena such as materialisations of spirits, apports of objects, or levitation.[3][4]

Channeling

In the latter half of the 20th century, Western mediumship developed in two different ways. One type involves psychics or sensitives who claim to speak to spirits and then relay what they hear to their clients. Clairvoyant Danielle Egnew is known for her alleged communication with angelic entities.

The other incarnation of non-physical mediumship is a form of channeling in which the channeler goes into a trance, or "leaves their body". He or she becomes "possessed" by a specific spirit, who then talks through them.[15] In the trance, the medium enters a cataleptic state marked by extreme rigidity. As the control spirit takes over, the medium's voice may change completely. The spirit answers the questions of those in its presence or giving spiritual knowledge.[16] A widely known channeler of this variety is J. Z. Knight, who claims to channel the spirit of Ramtha, a 30 thousand-year-old man. Others claim to channel spirits from "future dimensional", ascended masters,[17] or ,in the case of the trance mediums of the Brahma Kumaris, God.[18] Other notable channels are Jane Roberts for Seth, Esther Hicks for Abraham,[19] Margaret McElroy for Maitreya, Serge J. Grandbois for Kris, and Lee Carroll for Kryon.

not sure if this helps or not, just trying to help. Mac and I have had conversations and he likes to push for you to figure out what techniques you use and not just use "general" terms that can apply for anyone. (i think ) I my self am an evidential medium with psychic abilities.