Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Art

Old 03-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Kapitan_Prien

'Detroit in Ruins'

As an antique lover...I cringed when I saw these photos...and some of them made me wonder how it would have been inside of them when they were in their 'heyday' - particularly the 'Vanity Ballroom' that had Duke Ellington play there...

'Detroit in Ruins'
Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Master

Those are really neat pictures. It's all still beautiful in a way.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Yeah they are...I was amazed at all the books left behind in the first library photograph...

...seemed rather surreal to me.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Master
wow that is amazing but to me very very sad. Yeah the books must be amazing.
Thanks for letting us know about those.
Spiritlite.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:20 AM
Master
it is REALLY sad, i live an hour north of Detroit...many are saying that this city is showing the future of all or most American cities in the near future, what with the economic disaster and all lately...i hope that isnt true...
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi
Old 04-01-2011, 03:45 AM
Master
wow thanks for sharing the library one i wanted to weep (keyboard is not working right) awestruk by PD photos all oer the floor

Old 04-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Re Shabda - I had wondered the same thing. I mean, I have enough sense to know that the reality is you can't save everything - being an antique lover and even with militaria (WWI and II ships, vehicles, guns, etc.)...so it made me really wonder how much is going to come crumbling down due to the economy - what can be salvaged - if people are allowed to salvage, etc.

Re Silvergirl - Yes there is a sort of haunting sadness...I felt it too looking through those photos of the places...like happiness lost...innocence lost...
Old 05-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Master
hmm..it seems Detroit is NOT willing to put up with this, theyre focusing on getting people involved and making some positive changes...im mighty glad to hear it~!
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi
Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Kapitan_Prien

Oh that's great news! This may sound odd, but personally I think they should restore the places that are more structurally sound, like that Vanity Ballroom...it looks from the photo to be in better shape than some of the other places...

they should restore what they can, because while it might sound bad to spend the money on such places now...in the long run, shouldn't it create local events for people to attend - and therefore more money will be spent locally?

Like if they restored the ballroom - held a Swing concert there...something 'period' - they could bring money into Detroit. Heck, they could probably host a great 1930s -40s show there of some sort.