Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 26-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Henri77

Question about Tibetian Chant

Anybody KNOW why it's so deep, tonally...?

What does this achieve? How did this originate?
Also..the loud cymbals, horns ..in ceremonies... is this to scare off entities??
It seems quite different from other sacred music.
Old 27-04-2012, 05:24 AM
Henri77

Well I discovered it's origin, and there are numerous theories why it's done. One is that it muffles the sacred -secret text, so non-initiated cannot understand the words.

One night in 1433, the Tibetan lama Je Tzong Sherab Senge awoke from a startling dream. In it he had heard a voice unlike any voice that had ever sounded on the planet. It was a low voice, unbelievably deep, sounding more like the growl of a wild bull than anything human.

In this dream, Je Tzong Sherab Senge had been instructed to take this special voice and use it for a new chanting style that would embody both the masculine and feminine aspects of divine energy. It was a tantric voice, a sound that could unite those chanting it in a web of universal consciousness.

Still no idea why ceremonial instruments are so bloody loud.
Old 27-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Experiencer
The voice used for chanting and mantras can be very loud and deep because the purpose is more than just the meaning of the phrase or whatever it is, it's also for the purpose of vibration. It raises the person's energy level, and if done in a group, is extremely powerful.

And a lot of traditions use loud instruments -- especially percussion and bells -- to deter negative spirits during seances and other practices where they feel more vulnerable than usual.
Old 27-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribiq
The voice used for chanting and mantras can be very loud and deep because the purpose is more than just the meaning of the phrase or whatever it is, it's also for the purpose of vibration. It raises the person's energy level, and if done in a group, is extremely powerful.

And a lot of traditions use loud instruments -- especially percussion and bells -- to deter negative spirits during seances and other practices where they feel more vulnerable than usual.

Can I ask if this written from your own offline experience, ribiq, or from something you read somewhere?

I have not seen any Tibetans performing 'seances' myself and in any case cultural superstitions really don't have anything much to do with what was taught by the historical Buddha.

Many good wishes

S.
Old 27-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Experiencer
I used the words "a lot of traditions" on purpose; I wasn't suggesting that there are Tibetan seances. The first tradition that came to mind was Shamanism, so I used the word "seance." Though I don't want to get hung up on that word, it is not used exclusively with American Spiritualism like most people think.
Old 27-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Henri77

Well I just wondered about this. The deep chants are unique, though the Tuvalu & Mongolains also use low chants...... as I understand.

I was raised catholic, and priests spread incense smoke while they walk through the church. I suspect its an old tradition also intended as purification.

I just suspected the loud cymbols-horns served another purpose than music, as "neg entities-spirits" spirits are said to be dispersed by loud sounds ... but never read any verification of this.... regarding Tibetian practices.

while seance is an incorrect term ,I do believe Tibetians have deep respect for elder spirits... and communication may serve a purpose in certain practices....(I seem to recall something like this in a book-video)

But purification of the area, is basic to many spiritual ceremonies, and I felt might have been the intent with these loud instruments.

Since they live in mountainous areas , possibly the long horns are also meant to transmit something (a blessing) as the Swiss also use long horns not unlike these, Just a guess.

Thanx for the replies
Old 27-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Experiencer
Usually in Tibetan Buddhist ceremonies, symbolic offerings connected to the senses are made and to avoid misunderstandings, here's an explanation about the use of intruments :

Quote:
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS IN TIBETAN BUDDHISM

"To make the offering of sounds, the Tibetans use a whole range of musical instruments, from bells, cymbals, drums to wind instruments. Especially some of the wind instruments may produce a very strange sound for the Western ear, like the Long Horns which sound almost like a toneless blare to the Thighbone Trumpets with a sometimes piercing sound.

To judge for yourself, do visit this page of the Nuns of Khachoe Ghakyil, which include descriptions and even soundbytes of the instruments."

http://viewonbuddhism.org/symbols_tibet_buddhism.htm#music

kind regards,

S.
Old 27-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Henri77

Thanx
I suspect, like in many religions, the purpose of some practices have been long forgotten and later reinterpreted as being something else.

And many things tend to be kept secret from the public.

One source suggested purifying the mind was also accomplished through use of certain instruments.
Old 28-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Master
The voice used for [Tibetan] chanting and mantras can be very loud and deep because the purpose is more than just the meaning of the phrase or whatever it is, it's also for the purpose of vibration. It raises the person's energy level, and if done in a group, is extremely powerful.

I find this true for myself, being attracted to those low growling voice tones along with other sort-of musical sounds. I've been listening to them every day with inner focus for some time now, as they have become part of my ongoing transformation and deepening process.

Xan

Old 28-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri77
I suspect, like in many religions, the purpose of some practices have been long forgotten and later reinterpreted as being something else.

And many things tend to be kept secret from the public.

One source suggested purifying the mind was also accomplished through use of certain instruments.

This is true of focused listening to many natural sounds, chants, mantras, wordless toning, and instruments as well as the un-struck inner sound current.

Tibet Buddhism has been relatively undistorted over the centuries, at least partly because until the Chinese invasion Tibet was quite isolated at the 'top of the world'.

Xan