Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 16-01-2019, 12:20 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonLon
I think all selfless person is a humble person. This is very simple.
But not vice-versa, not always. People can be humble in an effort to take advantage, for their own interests.

My country has treasured humility traditionally but I've personally seen too many wrong cases.
Sometimes people can just be irresponsible, (for example, not offering any solution to the social problems because humble person aren't supposed to have strong opinions nor be assertive.) submissive, passive etc.. People sometimes chose to be humble hoping to avoid any criticism which they may actually deserve.

So I may chose to be a selfless, grateful person, if not humble. I don't want to be afraid to get involved in matters people can solve/improve by acting. Can't be scared to stand out.

Yes I see. It is easy to fake humility.
Old 16-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Guide
This resonates with you? Is this the right approach to humility?

“Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.”

― CS Lewis
Old 17-01-2019, 04:40 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by green1
This resonates with you? Is this the right approach to humility?

“Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.”

― CS Lewis

That's very true!! this is what I was talking about by referring to selflessness at the previous post. Perfect, green1
Old 17-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Deactivated Account

I agree, fostering humility has been the best thing I ever did
Old 21-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Guide
Quote:
That's very true!! this is what I was talking about by referring to selflessness at the previous post. Perfect, green1

What about the extended self?

“The extended self formulation envisions that certain possessions and certain other people are seen to be a part of us. They extend our identity beyond our mind and body alone”.

Regarding the above definition: The less we possess the more humble we are. (This is confirmed by common sense)
Old 21-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
What about the extended self?

“The extended self formulation envisions that certain possessions and certain other people are seen to be a part of us. They extend our identity beyond our mind and body alone”.

Regarding the above definition: The less we possess the more humble we are. (This is confirmed by common sense)

Oh dear you're quite good at this! where were ya diggin'? The island of common sense??
This also sounds like empathy and about freeing your soul to me, which possessions have no place in either on them. Empathy is pretty much about becoming one with the object, and freedom can't happen with possessions in all sort of forms dictating everything.

Is this what people call synchronicity? because I had given an information of my so-called past lives today and I thought, "haha no way those were mine!!" (though I did take the reading very seriously and think it was interesting/entertaining to consider...) but then I immediately thought; "Welp, why would it even matter? Can't I say I still relate to these peoples' lives through various ways as a human who is given life now? Their lives were real for them and can have meanings/significance not limited to their own. I'm sure God is involved in every single one of our lives and never been a stranger to any of them. Why can't I be more like him?? Why not???"

It was pretty enlightening moment and now you are here to confirm my feeling...
Old 21-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Guide
Quote:
Oh dear you're quite good at this! where were ya diggin'? The island of common sense??
This also sounds like empathy and about freeing your soul to me, which possessions have no place in either on them. Empathy is pretty much about becoming one with the object, and freedom can't happen with possessions in all sort of forms dictating everything.

Is this what people call synchronicity? because I had given an information of my so-called past lives today and I thought, "haha no way those were mine!!" (though I did take the reading very seriously and think it was interesting/entertaining to consider...) but then I immediately thought; "Welp, why would it even matter? Can't I say I still relate to these peoples' lives through various ways as a human who is given life now? Their lives were real for them and can have meanings/significance not limited to their own. I'm sure God is involved in every single one of our lives and never been a stranger to any of them. Why can't I be more like him?? Why not???"

It was pretty enlightening moment and now you are here to confirm my feeling...

Glad that I am helpful. I am also enjoying this discussion.

Is the body part of the self?

If so, we are more selfless/humble on the other side because we do not have a body. One more reason for not coming back. I am planning not to come back to this planet again (like many others). Humility looks helpful.
Old 21-01-2019, 06:13 PM
Master

Quote:
I am planning not to come back to this planet again (like many others).

So what do you (and these others) plan on doing after your current life has finished?

Do you intend to remain on some higher plane, free from material concerns?

Or do you intend to move on to a more advanced planet?

What makes you think you have reached a stage of development where you are ready to make this step?

This seems to be more about wishful thinking rather than humility. Humility is surrendering to the possibility of returning to this planet as many times as necessary to learn the lessons of Earthly life. Humility is accepting that the decision whether or not to return to Earth is not ours to make.

The premature belief that we are ready for a more advanced stage of life seems to be more about deluded pride rather than humility.

Peace.
Old 21-01-2019, 11:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
So what do you (and these others) plan on doing after your current life has finished?

Do you intend to remain on some higher plane, free from material concerns?

Or do you intend to move on to a more advanced planet?

What makes you think you have reached a stage of development where you are ready to make this step?

This seems to be more about wishful thinking rather than humility. Humility is surrendering to the possibility of returning to this planet as many times as necessary to learn the lessons of Earthly life. Humility is accepting that the decision whether or not to return to Earth is not ours to make.

The premature belief that we are ready for a more advanced stage of life seems to be more about deluded pride rather than humility.

Peace.
Where is this forum's "like button"?

I always enjoy reading your posts. I gave up trying to explain all of this ages ago and just got on with my own sadhana (spiritual practice) because whatever I said only fell on selectively deaf ears, so I ran out of patience and time....Nice to see you are still carrying the torch.

As for humility...this is an emotion I was not born with, did not learn and cannot recognise it in myself and others...The same thing goes for empathy, so there is no doubt that both of these go hand in hand.

What I am noticing more often than not (because observation is more my strong suit) is that humility has become more of an expected trait than an actual one, as if this is the moral/ethical barometer by which another's spiritual progress or attainment is measured and "judged" and so, I am guessing that feigning humility or "fake it till you make it" is the attempt to define oneself... one's ego self as being "spiritual" and "praiseworthy" in the eyes of another.

Also, I have personally found that there is a difference between surrender and what the standard definition of humility is...There are those rare occasions when my ego will "let itself" be subdued by my "Overself" so that I can fully surrender my heart to God (the only thing I can surrender to), but when that occurs, I am totally gone! Lost in an ocean of consciousness...but it feels so good when I surface for a breath of air.

I have thus replaced my inability to feel humility or empathy with the Wiccan Rede....."First, do no harm"..I realised that I really didn't HAVE to "love others" if I can't feel it, but as long as I wasn't hating them or hurting them; being kind and pleasant towards my fellow traveller (and generally minding my own business otherwise), it was all good.
Old 22-01-2019, 07:22 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Where is this forum's "like button"?

I always enjoy reading your posts. I gave up trying to explain all of this ages ago and just got on with my own sadhana (spiritual practice) because whatever I said only fell on selectively deaf ears, so I ran out of patience and time....Nice to see you are still carrying the torch.

As for humility...this is an emotion I was not born with, did not learn and cannot recognise it in myself and others...The same thing goes for empathy, so there is no doubt that both of these go hand in hand.

What I am noticing more often than not (because observation is more my strong suit) is that humility has become more of an expected trait than an actual one, as if this is the moral/ethical barometer by which another's spiritual progress or attainment is measured and "judged" and so, I am guessing that feigning humility or "fake it till you make it" is the attempt to define oneself... one's ego self as being "spiritual" and "praiseworthy" in the eyes of another.

Also, I have personally found that there is a difference between surrender and what the standard definition of humility is...There are those rare occasions when my ego will "let itself" be subdued by my "Overself" so that I can fully surrender my heart to God (the only thing I can surrender to), but when that occurs, I am totally gone! Lost in an ocean of consciousness...but it feels so good when I surface for a breath of air.

I have thus replaced my inability to feel humility or empathy with the Wiccan Rede....."First, do no harm"..I realised that I really didn't HAVE to "love others" if I can't feel it, but as long as I wasn't hating them or hurting them; being kind and pleasant towards my fellow traveller (and generally minding my own business otherwise), it was all good.

Thank you, Shivani Devi.

And I always enjoy reading your posts. You share your spiritual journey with all its ups and downs. Your honesty, your willingness to express what you are without pretence is a gift to us all.

Peace.