Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 08-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
[color=Black]Hi, Still Waters...I may not address everything, hahah!

I understand what you are saying. Let me try here...there is one 'Sound', one Word, or Vibration or one Name that is in everything.
Now ,God Himself could be represented as a Big Diamond in the Sky...1000s of facets, ok?
Someone sees a facet from the bottom right and sees a bearded man in a robe. Another from India sees a Blue boy with a flute with beads....and so on...
but all reflections are from the same Diamond that is God.
So all paths lead to the same place. Sure.
Some faster than others.

But there is still One, and the first original Primordial Vibration wouldn't that be where you would like your focus
rather than words that are 'calling' that First vibration by some human name like Yahweh or Om?

Did God manifest Himself
from this Word or Vibration as a tree and a planet and a doggy and multi Universes? Well...yeah....some believe this.

(Some believe an entirely diff scenario!! Lol)

First of all, I have never heard about the multi-faceted Big Diamond in the Sky (1000s of facets)before but I like the One Diamond metaphor with its many facets. I may very well use that metaphor myself in the future. As in the well-known story about the Blind Men and the Elephant, each may see the Diamond from a different perspective and hence come up with a different description because they have only seen a part and not the whole. We are on the same page here with the understanding that the various perceptions may also include personal projections such as the bearded man in the robe, the "Blue Boy" with the flute and beads (Krishna, I presume), and so on. In my younger days, I had always envisioned God anthropomorphically as the white-bearded guy in the sky and that actually drew me to Pir Vilayat Khan, the white-haired, white-bearded son of the great Sufi mystic, Hazrat Inayat Khan. It served it's purpose.

Ultimately, as you noted, there is no plurality but "Unity in Diversity" (Somehow, I prefer that to "One" since "One" being the start of counting suggests a second. However, this is a very very minor semantic point.) The "Tree of Life" can obviously have many branches and sub-branches, as we have discussed. The Sun and its rays is similarly metaphorical.

As for parallel universes (both horizontal and vertical), that came upon me in meditation many years ago. It is consistent with the matrix which the Christian mystic Teillard de Chardin described in his mystical visions. It is consistent with stories in the Yoga Vashistha. My teacher also spoke about "time within time" and "worlds within worlds". Other traditions hint at this also. Is it Truth or have I been influenced by what I have read and/or heard? One never knows, eh? However, it's become so repetitive that I accept it as Truth of "that which is" but am open-minded on that subject. (My views and beliefs have changed considerably over the years as more information becomes available through meditation directly or through myriads of other sources.)

Regarding Kirpal Singh, I read his book years ago and, although I tried to find it again, I may have given it away. It's nowhere to be found which suggests that it may not be a part of my life at this point in time. I was very inspired many years ago by Yogananda's Autobiography of a Yogi and subscribed to his Kriya Yoga Lessons many years ago. For some reason, I stopped them and no longer have them. One is drawn to the techniques and methodologies best suited to one's own spiritual unfolding while the other techniques --- as good as they may be and as useful as they may have been at one time --- slowly fall by the wayside. One recalls them, however, when another brings up the subject and one then recalls, "Oh yes ... I did do that at one time too."

There are numerous techniques each of which are appropriately suited to those of different temperaments. My own teacher's meditation book went into many of these techniques and, while I can see value in them all, one does find one's self drawn to particular techniques .... until .... until ... they are no longer needed. Even then, as in the case of Ramana Maharshi, one may still indulge in such practices as kirtan and bhajans, for example, since, as Ramana once stated, "I can't think of anything better to do at this time and I delight in the stories".

Thanks for the very thoughtful response.

Salutations to Miss Hepburn. Namah Miss Hepburn. Peace.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Angel1

Good morning Still Waters.
Isn't it nice when someone has similar backgrounds.
Yes, we all follow what fits us. Isn't it all just perfect?
One follows a fire and brimstone preacher and another follows Miss AMMA...I call her, LOL!

Couple things....the Diamond in the Sky was from Isaac Asimov the Sci Fi
writer, I believe. :)

So that you didn't just believe me...I double checked the Hindi dictionary, Nam or Naam really does only mean name.
And yes, Sat is true or truth.

I bought maybe 3 copies from Amazon of Kirpal Singh's 'Naam or Word', btw.

There really are just 2 main techniques to know from Kriya Yoga, no 3, sorry...Yogananda himself dropped the 4th...thinking it a bit much for Westerners.
SO funny to talk to devotees of 20 years that have no idea of the Fourth.

We can talk of these privately if you want. They technically are not big deals...BUT, they are
the simple tools of focusing within on whatever you'd like to call 'It'...the Essence of what is within all...closer than your own skin....

I mean, if you split an atom....look what you find (let's not try it on U-235 tho!)
That is where you are lead within...to what is inside an atom...it is sound and light and vibration....all three...well, and energy.

I see you started a thread on what I consider to be one of the most profound clues, messages, advice to us here.
I have it on wood hanging...''Be still and know that I am God.''

Other most profound verses?

Seek the Kingdom of Heaven First...all else will come...
Delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Acknowledge the Lord in all your ways and he will make straight your path...

3 of the 4 are from the OT....so I think we are ok in Judaism!

These are instructions of how to be more than happy while here.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 09-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
[color=Black]Good morning Still Waters.[/COLOR

Couple things....the Diamond in the Sky was from Isaac Asimov the Sci Fi
writer, I believe. :)

So that you didn't just believe me...I double checked the Hindi dictionary, Nam or Naam really does only mean name.
And yes, Sat is true or truth.

I bought maybe 3 copies from Amazon of Kirpal Singh's 'Naam or Word', btw.

There really are just 2 main techniques to know from Kriya Yoga, no 3, sorry...Yogananda himself dropped the 4th...thinking it a bit much for Westerners.
SO funny to talk to devotees of 20 years that have no idea of the Fourth.

We can talk of these privately if you want. They technically are not big deals...BUT, they are
the simple tools of focusing within on whatever you'd like to call 'It'...the Essence of what is within all...closer than your own skin....

I see you started a thread on what I consider to be one of the most profound clues, messages, advice to us here.
I have it on wood hanging...''Be still and know that I am God.''

Other most profound verses?

Seek the Kingdom of Heaven First...all else will come...
Delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Acknowledge the Lord in all your ways and he will make straight your path...

3 of the 4 are from the OT....so I think we are ok in Judaism!

These are instructions of how to be more than happy while here.

I am very familiar with Isaac Asimov, a professor as well as an author of science fiction works and popular science books. I have one of his science books in my library.

As for Satnam, you are correct. Although "Nam" is very close to both "Nama" and "Namah", it does mean "name" as you pointed out. Since I don't use a "name" for God but simply enter the stillness without words or thoughts to connect, I don't think in terms of a "name" and so my little personal bias crept into this dialogue.

As for Yogananda's four kriyas, I don't remember any of them, including the fourth. (I was more drawn to Yogananda's teacher, Sri Yukteswar, than Yogananda to be perfectly honest.) I did subscribe to his kriya lesson many many years ago and probably incorporated several of his techniques into my practice without remembering exactly what I took from him. However, since this is a Judaism forum, I'll send you a private message regarding the four.

Regarding other quotes, "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His right-use-ness, and all other things shall be added unto you", is definitely one of my guiding lights as is "Blessed are the pure of heart for they shall see God." Since we're in the Judaism sub-forum, I should note that Ecclesiastes and Psalms are two of my favorite books as is the book of Jeremias since Jeremias demonstrated true prophecy by seeing the future in terms of unfolding possibilities and not as "cast in concrete".
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Master
The 23rd Psalm - An Absolute Spiritual Masterpiece

OOPS: This was posted in error in this thread as I had intended to start a new thread on the 23rd Psalm. I don't know how to delete posts when posted to the wrong thread. Sorry about that !

One of my favorite personal prayers is the very insightful 23rd Psalm, which I repeat many times a day and actually use it to time my yoga postures. (I say the 23rd Psalm when I start certain postures, and move on to the next posture once the 23rd Psalm is completed.)

There was one passage that somewhat troubled me for a while, but my difficulties with it were all completely resolved at a Quaker meeting of all places.

"Thou preparest a place before me in the presence of mine enemies."

Initially, I attributed that to possibly a poor translation as the statement definitely not resonate with me. Now, however, after the Quaker meeting, it makes complete sense and resonates completely.

During the Quaker meeting, which is observed in complete silence for those who are unfamiliar with Quaker services, an elder stood up halfway through the service with a very insightful comment. (If some one is inspired to speak, they can stand up and speak whatever inspiration came during the silent meditative service.)

He said that a passage in the 23rd Psalm had long puzzled him: "Thou preparest a place for me in the presence of mine enemies". He mentioned that he had no enemies so he was not sure what the passage really meant. However, he added, upon meditative reflection, he realized that he DID INDEED have enemies: Pride, lust, anger, greed, gluttony, envy, sloth. He then interpreted the passage to mean that he was placed in the presence of these internal "enemies" so that he could overcome them.

While the whole 23rd Psalm is very meaningful to me, that particular passage took on a very deep positive meaning for me after that Quaker spoke out during the otherwise silent service. I have never forgotten that ! Years later, I saw him at another Quaker service and reminded him of how his meditative statement had had such a lasting impact of me. He remembered that day and indicated that it was a major breakthrough for him as well since he had been contemplating that passage for years before the breakthrough.

I just thought that I would share that here, and I'm curious if anyone has alternative interpretations of that particular passage. If you want to discuss any of the other passage in that Psalm, it would be most welcome as I consider that Psalm to be a Spiritual Masterpiece.
Old 16-01-2019, 03:09 PM
ImthatIm

I AM
YOU ARE
I WILL
YOU WILL
WE ARE
WE WILL
I AM THAT I AM / I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE and IT WILL COME TO PASS.
ALL IN ALL
THE ALL
Old 05-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Pathfinder

Interesting thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
God, in the sense of Yahveh, did not say his name was I AM. He said his name was Yahveh or the Tetragrammaton. People today still ponder what this name means. But it is clear that it is not simply I AM.

I'm with Judaism on this one. I think I AM is a far too simplistic name for something as articulate and ingenious as God. The term I AM just oversimplifies God and makes Him sound like a narcissist.

Hi Honza . . . I love all these names for what essentially cannot be named ! I guess, in my opinion I AM best suggests the nebulous quality of God who is essentially beyond anything we’ve ever experienced in the material world. I AM is the simple assertion that he exists without even trying to describe him.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaid
Hi Honza . . . I love all these names for what essentially cannot be named !
Bingo!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 08-11-2019, 08:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaid
I guess, in my opinion I AM best suggests the nebulous quality of God who is essentially beyond anything we’ve ever experienced in the material world. I AM is the simple assertion that he exists without even trying to describe him.

Yes, many people find that I AM is the best indication of what God actually is. In this thread I was trying to suggest that it is not the best. But each to their own.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:47 AM
Master
The reason that I am sceptical is that the political right wing often uses the term I AM to justify its policies. Hindus and the New Age also use the term to justify their spiritual policies.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
OOPS: This was posted in error in this thread as I had intended to start a new thread on the 23rd Psalm. I don't know how to delete posts when posted to the wrong thread. Sorry about that !

One of my favorite personal prayers is the very insightful 23rd Psalm, which I repeat many times a day and actually use it to time my yoga postures. (I say the 23rd Psalm when I start certain postures, and move on to the next posture once the 23rd Psalm is completed.)

There was one passage that somewhat troubled me for a while, but my difficulties with it were all completely resolved at a Quaker meeting of all places.

"Thou preparest a place before me in the presence of mine enemies."

Initially, I attributed that to possibly a poor translation as the statement definitely not resonate with me. Now, however, after the Quaker meeting, it makes complete sense and resonates completely.

During the Quaker meeting, which is observed in complete silence for those who are unfamiliar with Quaker services, an elder stood up halfway through the service with a very insightful comment. (If some one is inspired to speak, they can stand up and speak whatever inspiration came during the silent meditative service.)

He said that a passage in the 23rd Psalm had long puzzled him: "Thou preparest a place for me in the presence of mine enemies". He mentioned that he had no enemies so he was not sure what the passage really meant. However, he added, upon meditative reflection, he realized that he DID INDEED have enemies: Pride, lust, anger, greed, gluttony, envy, sloth. He then interpreted the passage to mean that he was placed in the presence of these internal "enemies" so that he could overcome them.

While the whole 23rd Psalm is very meaningful to me, that particular passage took on a very deep positive meaning for me after that Quaker spoke out during the otherwise silent service. I have never forgotten that ! Years later, I saw him at another Quaker service and reminded him of how his meditative statement had had such a lasting impact of me. He remembered that day and indicated that it was a major breakthrough for him as well since he had been contemplating that passage for years before the breakthrough.

I just thought that I would share that here, and I'm curious if anyone has alternative interpretations of that particular passage. If you want to discuss any of the other passage in that Psalm, it would be most welcome as I consider that Psalm to be a Spiritual Masterpiece.
֍ When I hear 23rd Psalm; I double it - 46th Psalm. ֎

It begins with a flowing charisma “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea......”

and then in the King James Bible I look at the 46th word which is "shake"and then I look at the 46th word counting from the last word backwards which is "spear". Put the two words together and you get Shakespear.

A valid explanation is that some people believe that William Shakespeare did not write almost none, if not none of the works associated with him. His literary works bring out all the various personalities of mankind, something that many claim can not be done by one single person. There appears to be evidence to support that many people were responsible for writing the many literary works attributed to William Shakespeare. Some believe that Francis Bacon may have been the main person instrumental in bringing many writers together in which they were able to express the many personalities and situations found in the writings. Incidentally, Francis Bacon held many titles, and played many roles. During King James’s reign, the same King that brought about the King James Bible. He held the important position as Solicitor General and was a direct adviser to the King on national matters. He was not part of the Privy Council, the council involved in bringing about the King James Authorized Bible, but he could have influenced the council on how the Bible was to be translated. If so, he could have ‘hidden’ this little secret in a coded fashion for people of the future to try to unravel. What is interesting is that the King James Authorized Version of the Bible was finished in 1610 and then printed in 1611. William Shakespear was 46 years old when this Bible was finally translated. What is even more interesting is that no other translations have placed these two words in the same place.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜