Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphirez
I don't think that those links are accurate interpretations of what effect fruit has on the body. I looked at them but they don't seem to know the actual reality so I wouldn't rely on them for real information. I'm afraid to look at too much of them, but do they talk about the process of diffusion, and if you do find them to be based in reality, what is the summary of each link you provided as you understand it?

It is true that the adverse rhetoric on fructose is valid in context with our high fructose (or high sugar) food environment, and not valid in context with the moderate consumption of fresh fruit. However, it is simply true that excessive to extreme consumption of fresh fruit is high fructose (and high glucose).

Quote:
Fructose as a refined substance and fruit are completely different in the effect they have on the body, and also even the blood sugar. Eating ample fruit can help regulate or lower blood sugar, whereas even vegetables and of course especially starchy foods have troublesome effects on its right?

Most types of fruit contain a fair amount of glucose, so I can't see how consuming 'ample' amounts would lower blood sugar because 'ample' amounts implies a large glycemic load. The main point is, whole fruit is low GI so it doesn't induce rapid, high blood glucose spikes. The opposite is true of fruit juice.

On any practical level, consuming moderate amounts of whole fruit as part of a well rounded diet obviously better than consuming 'ample' juice or refined glucose and/or fructose food sources (I merely state the obvious).

Quote:
On the surface it seems that fructose has a much lower the only marker or indicator of health, but it is definitely worth noting that consuming raw whole fresh fruit even with its crazy 'sugar content' does not harass blood sugar levels and instead can have a very positive impact on balancing them properly. I hope you're not actually comparing fruit fructose to other mutated sources though

I'm saying the 'fructose panic' is valid in our high fructose food environment, but not in the context of consuming moderate quantities of fruit as part of a well rounded whole food diet.

Fruit is not 'crazy high' in carbs. For example 100g of apple has about 14g whereas 100g of rice has twice the amount. Even ripe banana, which is the highest carb fruit I know of, of has lower carbs than rice, bread, pasta or potato. Whole fruit also delivers both fructose and glucose in a low GI form, which is a better carb intake than glucose on its own from starch (or refined sugar, of course). Then there is the additional benefit of all the micronutrients, antioxidants and trace minerals - making whole fruit a very attractive and probably superior source of carbohydrates!

However, there are nutrients which fruit does not contain in sufficient quantities, and because diet is worked out by firstly establishing a calorie balance, the macronutrients which make up calories form the basis of any healthy eating plan. This means reasonably distributing calories between carbs, protein and fat. I know you keep saying the body doesn't want protein, but the truth is, protein is essential to any human diet, and a person needs enough of it to maintain the muscle mass needed to function with a reasonable degree of ability, strength and endurance. The issue here is, veg protein food is also starchy, so an irrational preferences for monosaccharides (fructose even more particularly), and aversions to complex carbs, and therefore sourcing your entire carb intake from whole fruit and low carb veges, effectively makes adequate protein intake difficult for vegans. Needless to say a high fruit diet is a low fat diet, entirely void of some essential fatty acids which need to be obtained from nuts/seed, which again, are starchy with a fair protein content.

Any vegan who eats a well rounded diet including as much variety as possible from all of the fruit, vegetable, nuts/seed sub categories will almost certainly consume adequate protein to preserve reasonable muscle mass and other tissue restorative function, and adequate fat including the essential fatty acids. The carbs that they need to complete their calorie balance will basically take care of itself because carbs are in vegan protein and fat food sources. Additional carbs needed to complete the calorie balance could, or even should, be sourced from sweet fruits. Thus, achieving a reasonable macronutrient balance, especially on a vegan diet, necessarily moderates fruit consumption.

What I just outlined has established near complete vegan nutrition. A b12 supplement is added pronto because it can't be obtained from vegetable sources, and this being established reasonably well, maybe a couple of extra supplements could optimise nutrition depending on individuals' convenience and necessity.

As you can see by what I outlined here in term of necessary nutrients and optimal nutrition, the more inclusive a diet is, the more variety a diet has, the easier complete healthy nutrition becomes. Conversely, the more restrictions one places on their diet, the more difficult complete nutrition becomes. There comes a point where too many dietary restrictions make complete healthy nutrition exceedingly difficult and practically impossible, and although such excessive restrictions are obviously impelled by the best interest of good health, the extremity only ends up being counterproductive to that end.