Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 12-01-2019, 12:14 PM
Master
Edward Selim Michael - Law of Attention

I was recently introduced to Edward Selim Michael by a very spiritually-insightful Jewish woman who has hosted Quaker and Buddhist groups for as long as I have known her. I recently finished reading Michael's book, "The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance". He clearly states that the aim of the book is "direct inner experience" and that is what attracted me to him. My own spiritual mentor of over 30 years once said, "Question everything, even what I say... and, if a teacher can't point you to the direct experiences, then go elsewhere". Edward Selim Michael seems to be such a being who points one to the direct inner experiences. I just ordered another one of Michael's books, "Obstacles to Enlightenment and Liberation", because he warns against getting into comfortable, familiar ruts and I plan to use his book as a checklist to see what tendencies I may have that could be holding me back. Michael seems to be a man who has been there and not just some one pontificating grand theories and quoting the masters but one who speaks from direct inner experiences.

I wasn't sure where to post this topic and almost put it in the Buddhism section because "It was to Buddhism that he felt closest, but as his teaching was based on his direct experience, he did not hesitate to quote Christian, Hindu, or Sufi mystics." This seemed to be the most appropriate section for posting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Salim_Michael

To get the discussion going, I will include without comment a few quotes from his book, "The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance". (Note that I have replaced the masculine word "he" in the quotes by "one".)

1. "The aim of this book is to help seekers arrive at recognizing, through direct inner experience, their higher nature and the after-death state, the state from which they originated and to which they will return on leaving this form of existence."

2. "Without perhaps realizing it, one will then start to sleep inwardly again, thinking that one is still working by being merely satisfied with the intellectual knowledge and memory of certain limited spiritual experiences one may have had in the past."

3. "If, during meditation, this luminous expanse of consciousness becomes adulterated and diluted in the slightest degree with one's habitual state, it will then inevitably cease to be Truth."

4. "It will be readily evident to one who has practiced meditation seriously and has had enlightenment that what was right and necessary at the beginning of one's quest will no longer be right or practical later".
Old 12-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Master
I just received my second book by Edward Selim Michael (Obstacles to Enlightenment and Liberation) and he's quite direct with his opening statements.

"It must be noted that currently, in the West and even in India, most seekers have only a superficial understanding of what spiritual practice really involves.

It is common to hear beginners speaking of 'felicity (Ananda) or 'devotional love' (bhakiti) as if the simple fact of using these words were sufficient to come to experiences these out-of-the-ordinary states".

I too have noticed this when I try to speak to those who present as "spiritual people" but actually lack depth and direct experiences when one tries to go past the lofty sounding words and theories. From the little that I've read thus far in this book, I can readily see some habits and tendencies in myself that require attention even after having practiced for over 30 years under a widely revered sage
Old 13-01-2019, 05:38 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I too have noticed this when I try to speak to those who present as "spiritual people" but actually lack depth and direct experiences when one tries to go past the lofty sounding words and theories.

There are "traps" in many ways.
Old 13-01-2019, 07:07 AM
Master
Quote:
I just received my second book by Edward Selim Michael (Obstacles to Enlightenment and Liberation) and he's quite direct with his opening statements.

"It must be noted that currently, in the West and even in India, most seekers have only a superficial understanding of what spiritual practice really involves.

It is common to hear beginners speaking of 'felicity (Ananda) or 'devotional love' (bhakiti) as if the simple fact of using these words were sufficient to come to experiences these out-of-the-ordinary states".

I too have noticed this when I try to speak to those who present as "spiritual people" but actually lack depth and direct experiences when one tries to go past the lofty sounding words and theories. From the little that I've read thus far in this book, I can readily see some habits and tendencies in myself that require attention even after having practiced for over 30 years under a widely revered sage

He has Composed some beautiful music
Old 13-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
He has Composed some beautiful music

You are correct that Edward Selim Michael is also a composer, but I have yet to listen to any of his compositions. That should be interesting as he does seem to favor harmonious symphonic music though he adds that, nowadays, "symphonic music ... has become a glacial series of synthetic sounds, lacking in any aesthetic emotion capable of elevating the listener".

Now, you've encouraged me to listen to some of his musical compositions.
Old 13-01-2019, 12:37 PM
Master
Quote:
You are correct that Edward Selim Michael is also a composer, but I have yet to listen to any of his compositions. That should be interesting as he does seem to favor harmonious symphonic music though he adds that, nowadays, "symphonic music ... has become a glacial series of synthetic sounds, lacking in any aesthetic emotion capable of elevating the listener".

Now, you've encouraged me to listen to some of his musical compositions.

' Now, you've encouraged me to listen to some of his musical compositions.[/quote] '

While reading your book, just in the background, then you have the best of both worlds, ' but you might not like the music '
Old 14-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
' Now, you've encouraged me to listen to some of his musical compositions.
'

While reading your book, just in the background, then you have the best of both worlds, ' but you might not like the music ' [/quote]

I had a mixed reaction to his music. Perhaps, I should just stick to reading his books. I may, however, listen to some of his online videos to get more of a spontaneous sense of the man.

I really preferring contact with those who "are there" (so to speak) as opposed to a lot of the theorizing and pontificating that takes place in so-called spiritual forums.
Old 14-01-2019, 04:59 PM
Master
Quote:

about your last paragraph, I think you and I could have some positive conversations on that topic. There's a lot I agree to in what you mentioned.
Old 14-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Master
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
about your last paragraph, I think you and I could have some positive conversations on that topic. There's a lot I agree to in what you mentioned.

Let me share a story with you about a friend who took me to a lecture by his guru, who was talking about entering the silence/stillness.

Afterwards, the three of us were able to sit in a secluded area and I asked the guru what was her personal preference for entering the stillness. Naturally, she turned the question around and asked me what was my preferred process. After responding in detail to her question, I then raised my original question about her preferred process.

To the surprise of both my friend and me, there was a very long silence. The guru then stated that, although she could speak eloquently about entering the silence based on the teachings of her guru, she conceded that she still had difficulty entering the silence and, even more, sustaining it. My friend was stunned and asked why she had revealed this. She responded that, upon hearing my response, she realized that I was talking from direct experience and not just uttering words. She felt it best to just be directly honest since she felt that her words and subsequent follow-up answers would expose her.

Obviously, neither of us discussed that meeting with any of her disciples nor would I even mention her name in that context.

There are, however, many "gurus" who "fake it" when they are really not there. Nonetheless, their words can indeed be very helpful. It is my feeling that one must focus on the teaching and the process as opposed to worshiping the personality of the guru. In that manner, one validates the teachings through direct experience and one is not disappointed if the guru lacks integrity. One learns from all.
Old 15-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Let me share a story with you about a friend who took me to a lecture by his guru, who was talking about entering the silence/stillness.

Afterwards, the three of us were able to sit in a secluded area and I asked the guru what was her personal preference for entering the stillness. Naturally, she turned the question around and asked me what was my preferred process. After responding in detail to her question, I then raised my original question about her preferred process.

To the surprise of both my friend and me, there was a very long silence. The guru then stated that, although she could speak eloquently about entering the silence based on the teachings of her guru, she conceded that she still had difficulty entering the silence and, even more, sustaining it. My friend was stunned and asked why she had revealed this. She responded that, upon hearing my response, she realized that I was talking from direct experience and not just uttering words. She felt it best to just be directly honest since she felt that her words and subsequent follow-up answers would expose her.

Obviously, neither of us discussed that meeting with any of her disciples nor would I even mention her name in that context.

There are, however, many "gurus" who "fake it" when they are really not there. Nonetheless, their words can indeed be very helpful. It is my feeling that one must focus on the teaching and the process as opposed to worshiping the personality of the guru. In that manner, one validates the teachings through direct experience and one is not disappointed if the guru lacks integrity. One learns from all.
I used to like to ask a lot of questions. Because I wanted to learn ,95% of the time with no real answers. The other 4% were so out there I didn't get it. Even asked people to dumb things down for me. Hahaha. Even then, I got so frustrated with it. And I stopped asking questions, and simply started listening and let the information come to me. It's a different mind set. There's a lot of reasons why people don't like to answer questions. Some don't simply know the answer and don't want to look dumb, some people think other's are just being dumb and don't want to take the time to explain because they think everyone should know it. Talking spiritual beliefs is a extremely sensitive subject. Some feel there being looked down on for believing what they do some think there being challenged and in there mind there beliefs is the ONLY way. Some don't want to think they made you believe anything, and they want you to make up your own mind to what you believe. Like me, now if you ask me I'll answer the best I can without feeling like I influenced you in your beliefs. Like for the longest time I thought there was only 1 way to meditate. To sit on a mountain top wrapped up like a pretzel humming a strange tune. Well not really but I hope you know what I mean. Meditating that way simply doesn't work for me. But then someone told me there's other ways to meditate. They didn't tell me how or what to do. But I figured out a way to meditate that actually works for me. I feel spiritually is very personalized to you. One size don't fit all.