Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 14-04-2015, 04:10 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran65
And, by the way, although my husband ate meat, and I had no problem with him doing that, his choice, he was completely in favor of us raising our son vegetarian. I never asked him not to, but he chose not to eat meat in front of him, which I greatly appreciated and respected him for (although we never hid it from our son, he just preferred not to eat meat in front of him).

And I've allowed my son to decide if he would remain vegetarian when he became old enough. He is now 16, and is as fanatical a veg as I am (and I'm soooo grateful! lol), but I felt that had to be his individual decision as well, and I would NEVER have let him know it would have disappointed me in any way if he had decided to eat meat. Again, I feel that has to be an individual choice, and one that has to be respected by everyone else. I'm sure there are people here who think I'm ridiculous for that, but just my opinion.
Personally i think your stand is beautiful, brave, and selfless.
Old 14-04-2015, 04:20 AM
Seeker

This sort of takes it off topic but i am currently 4 days meat free. (Although one day i had a soup and had absolutely no idea it contained chicken broth lol) i usually don't get offended because i do not share the strong feelings veg's do about this lifestyle but i was talking to a friend about my mistake and her boyfriend said vegetarians need to lighten the hell up. And then tried to make it seem like the process of making the broth was harmless and i was like it's not like the chicken went for a swim and we drank that water! Uuuggghhhh defensive omnivores (usually call themselves carnivores) are just as bad as in-your-face veg's. What is your response to "we were made to eat meat. We are omnivores"
Old 14-04-2015, 04:56 AM
Kiran65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinivha
Personally i think your stand is beautiful, brave, and selfless.

Jinivha, Thank you so much! I can't tell you how much I appreciate that!!
Old 14-04-2015, 05:15 AM
Kiran65

Quote:
This sort of takes it off topic but i am currently 4 days meat free. (Although one day i had a soup and had absolutely no idea it contained chicken broth lol) i usually don't get offended because i do not share the strong feelings veg's do about this lifestyle but i was talking to a friend about my mistake and her boyfriend said vegetarians need to lighten the hell up. And then tried to make it seem like the process of making the broth was harmless and i was like it's not like the chicken went for a swim and we drank that water! Uuuggghhhh defensive omnivores (usually call themselves carnivores) are just as bad as in-your-face veg's. What is your response to "we were made to eat meat. We are omnivores"

Congrats on going meat free!! I've heard the beginning can be really difficult!! It can take a while and some careful deciphering to be sure you are not getting meat; even then, many times I'll grill a waiter or waitress, be assured there is no meat in something, usually soup, take one bite, and I can tell instantly there is a meat broth (it is so foreign to me). I'll call them over to let them know and they simply shrug, showing me it's no big deal to them. My son tells me I should say I'm allergic to meat, they will pay attention then, but I want to get my point across while bringing attention to the plight of vegetarians, and I feel that defeats the purpose lol.

As for the "we were made to eat meat" argument, I just go with the host of diseases and artery clogging related ailments eating meat brings on, which proves, without any doubt, we were NOT intended to eat meat. We are "supposed" to be superior, and can discern the advantages of a healthier diet, if we choose not to follow it, and eat meat, like the other omnivores out there, aren't we just lowering ourselves to their level? (I have no problem with being on the same level, but I'll bet those meat eaters do lol)
Old 14-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Seeker

When I talk about trying to be vegetarian people quickly get upset. I don't understand why they feel so strongly against it. I never felt that way even before I wanted to try it myself. My family especially hated on vegans. I guess it's one of those guilty conscience excuses people come up with or something because it's not like vegetarians/vegans do anything to harm them lol I was always curious why people chose it and how it effected them. When I started to look into some more new age spiritual beliefs I saw a lot of people talk about how much vegetarianism changed them. I have wanted to try it ever sense. That was maybe two years ago and it has taken this long for me to finally jump into it. I am quickly understanding the protein issue though. There is no way I can continue to live my lifestyle while being a HEALTHY vegetarian. I am having a hard time with it but I am determined to learn how I can continue this. The way I see it, there is a huge community that is able to successfully live this lifestyle so why shouldn't I be able to do it as well.
Old 14-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Everly

People who eat meat get very defensive with vegetarians and vegans. Their discomfort makes them engage in a lot of unpleasant behaviors, including ridicule and deceit.

Humans are not omnivores. We are herbivores and our physiology proves it.
Here's a link to a synopsis of the facts.

There are other articles about the same thing and you can search for more information. (I just used humans are herbivores not carnivores and grabbed one of the first links I was familiar with.)
Old 14-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Knower

All of my friends are meat eaters. The biggest question I get is "how do you get your protein?" When I tell them that plant and seed protein is much healthier than animal, I get stared at. One fellow in his 70's asked me about it. He has had 2 heart bypass surgeries. I told him that broccoli was a favorite of mine to get protein. I told him to google it. He did, and the next time I saw him, he was completely amazed and started eating more broccoli and less meat.

I am very respectful of people's choices. I may not care for what they put in their mouth, but I do care what goes in mine. Change seems to be difficult for people that have done the same thing all of their lives. Some grasp it, some don't. I tend to chalk it up to where they are in their soul evolution.
Old 14-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everly
Humans are not omnivores. We are herbivores and our physiology proves it.

There are other articles about the same thing and you can search for more information. (I just used humans are herbivores not carnivores and grabbed one of the first links I was familiar with.)

Thank you! I will look into that! :)
Old 14-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Seeker

I know that when looking into proteins you have to make sure to get all of the amino acids including lysine (I think that is what it is called) which is particularly difficult in vegetarian proteins but not at all impossible. I haven't been focusing hard enough on making sure to get the protein I need and I am already feeling it's effects but I am trying to do this right. It is just requiring an entire change of the way I do food lol
Old 14-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Everly

Quote:
I know that when looking into proteins you have to make sure to get all of the amino acids including lysine (I think that is what it is called) which is particularly difficult in vegetarian proteins but not at all impossible. I haven't been focusing hard enough on making sure to get the protein I need and I am already feeling it's effects but I am trying to do this right. It is just requiring an entire change of the way I do food lol

Please, please don't buy into the protein myth. There's no such thing as a protein deficiency unless you are literally starving. Everything has protein. There is nothing at all difficult in getting each amino acid with even a really bad vegetarian diet (assuming it's not 100% junk food).

The Protein Myth - PCRM

Slaying the Protein Myth

Three Myths About Protein

There is a wealth of information about protein online. Just do a search using protein myth and you'll find more than you can imagine.