Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
Is it even possible NOT to be yourself?

Whatever I do I am myself. I may wish to think and act differently, and in realizing this I am myself.

What is this idea that we are not ourselves? If we aren't then what are we? And how would being yourself be an improvement over what you are at the moment?
I like the clarity you bring to the table with your post Rin ... to my mind and understanding, I am a multifaceted being, and whatever way I choose to be/self-express is, in one sense, another facet simply catching the light ... whether I choose to help others, help myself, help both, or help none is 'me, at any given time, being me, shaping my experience ... a few years back i made an overnight decision to work overseas, and 6 weeks later found myself in a strange country, not knowing a soul ....up to that point I (and others in my life) would never have perceived me taking that step ... it was so 'out of character' ... now if the opportunity were to arise again, and I declined the offer, I reckon the exact same judgement would be made lol ...
Old 02-10-2012, 05:34 PM
amy green

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
Is it even possible NOT to be yourself?

Whatever I do I am myself. I may wish to think and act differently, and in realizing this I am myself.

What is this idea that we are not ourselves? If we aren't then what are we? And how would being yourself be an improvement over what you are at the moment?
Being yourself is surely being authentic, i.e. true to yourself. In life we are not always able to do this, e.g. when we have to conform. For example, I remember having to behave in a certain way to relatives and I resented the phoneyness of this situation. We may often be in situations whereby social restraints hinder our ability to be ourselves, i.e. in some measure we are often having to conform and toe the line - put other considerations before our self-expression. I suppose this may be more obvious if our nature means we notice the restrictions/limitations imposed on us. Let's face it, even on this forum we have the restrictions in place that ensure complete self expression may well be prohibited.

To truly be yourself (and not "sell out") in all situations would probably render you an outcast/an eccentric but I would admire such a person. Integrity is a very admirable and attractive quality.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Master

Always be yourself! After all, there is only one 'you'!

No matter who you are, you have a valuable contribution you can make to the world and to the greater good.

Believe in yourself. Recognise and utilise your gifts. Shine a beautiful light.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Eudaimonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Is it wrong to want to be yourself?

You should be your best self, but certainly yourself. Don't be a martyr. Be your best self.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudaimonist
You should be your best self, but certainly yourself. Don't be a martyr. Be your best self.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Now that's a good point....be your BEST self.....being your best self to your own capabilities & judgment not someone else's is just as important as well I feel.....if you try to change yourself to suite others your not being yourself!!

Love
Mathew
Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Mathew

It is interesting what Rin has brought up here, it’s the same with a multi split personality, they are all you. Another one is if you see something bad or good in another isn’t that also you otherwise you wouldn’t recognise it. But of course you get people who see bad or good in everybody no matter what & that say something as well.

When we have ago at another we are really seeing ourselves in them so in actual fact we are having ago at ourselves through them, everybody that we see as being this that & the other is just another us.

Yes there is no one of us, we are all like a split personality, I think it all depends on our emotions at the time, you could react badly too one thing at one moment but in another you could react quite differently to the same thing.
I like what Eudaimonist said, “Be your best self”…….wise words indeed!!

Love
Mathew
Old 02-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Ultimately you will have to take ownership of your spiritual journey and direct its progress yourself. In those later stages, you can still learn things from others but they are not your 'teacher' per se.
I don't know any rule that says it has to be a later stage. If you can understand the concept and that's where it's leading, then skip all that and get started on it immediately. Why not?
Later only implies towards the end, not AT the end. As opposed to earlier which is towards the beginning.

There is certainly no reason one can’t or shouldn’t take ownership earlier or even at the first step into the spiritual journey. Most people have little idea how to get started and in the early stages make more headway with a guide of some sort rather than floundering around on their own. I did it the hard way without a guide or teacher at any stage so I am certain it can be done that way.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Later only implies towards the end, not AT the end. As opposed to earlier which is towards the beginning.

There is certainly no reason one can’t or shouldn’t take ownership earlier or even at the first step into the spiritual journey. Most people have little idea how to get started and in the early stages make more headway with a guide of some sort rather than floundering around on their own. I did it the hard way without a guide or teacher at any stage so I am certain it can be done that way.

Learning about different religions and spiritualities is good, just to see what's out there so you can decide for yourself what works best for you. I think a good teacher would tell you to be your own teacher and get you to learn to trust in yourself. Spirituality is different for each person, there is no 'one truth' for everyone, so it's kind of silly for a person to think that people need what you have.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Master

Is it wrong to want to be yourself....hmmm....who else could you be?

If you are asking permission to be yourself (sorry just liked the question, didn't read the post - apologies in arrears) give yourself permission - you are the boss, the man upstairs, the #1.

If you are not yourself...you are you, so what other self could you be?

Kind of a circular argument, in itself.

I don't think you get a choice....
Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless
Is it wrong to want to be yourself....hmmm....who else could you be?

If you are asking permission to be yourself (sorry just liked the question, didn't read the post - apologies in arrears) give yourself permission - you are the boss, the man upstairs, the #1.

If you are not yourself...you are you, so what other self could you be?

Kind of a circular argument, in itself.

I don't think you get a choice....
Maybe it would be useful to get to know what is meant by people wanting to be themselves instead of just interpreting it as a sentence. Of course everyone is themselves, that's not what it means. To me it means people want to know what it's like to be free of all the emotional baggage.