Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
Saggi, I don't share your definition of enlightenment as just being acceptance of yourself. Would this apply to everyone, i.e. a paedophile, murderer? My definition/understanding of enlightenment is a bit more mystical than that (entailing being in constant contact with the divine).

Being able to adapt to situations, to me, is not about acceptance but being pro-active, i.e. being initially aware/mindful and then directive. Acceptance is a passive act, i.e. not interactive and therefore not requiring adaptation.

Fair enough,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
What if,,,

Reaching enlightenment meant accepting yourself as you are?

Accepting yourself as you are, not as a global idea, but each moment feeling accepting with whatever you experience... is part of the enlightenment process, as it opens us more into who we truly are.

Xan

Thank you, I do believe I said that up there,,, perhaps without the last few words though,,,

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx
Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 PM
amy green

Angel1

Thanks Xan - as usual, your post brings simple clarity with a truth that speaks directly to me. Of course acceptance of our self would be part of enlightenment but not the whole state.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:02 PM
amy green

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Interesting
I was in a room full of people, all women actually, and we had turns to speak and everyone remained sitting whilst doing so, but when it was my turn to speak I moved up in my chair at which one of the women said 'go on Sean, stand up' so I did, But then I stood on my chair and the next thing was I spread my arms out and said 'I am perfect'.

Like Saggi I'm of the belief that everything is perfect as it is. That it is about accepting ourselves as ourselves where, when and who we are within that continuum. And that within that accepting of that perfection we can be more of the perfection that has always been.

I understand the need/desire to see yourself as perfect. We'd all like to be perfect I guess (saves having to do the work!) O.K. so how do you feel about your faults then? Do you not have them or are they regarded as perfect too? If they are, then the imperfect is perfect? Are we talking riddles here? Is a flawed cup perfect?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Master
Yes, Saggi and amy... Accepting our human self with all its gifts and quirks and worse, is part of the process that releases us from judgment, inner conflict and self-defense.

Then comes accepting who we really are... our pure true nature as whole awareness and perfect love itself.

Xan

Old 08-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
I understand the need/desire to see yourself as perfect. We'd all like to be perfect I guess (saves having to do the work!) O.K. so how do you feel about your faults then? Do you not have them or are they regarded as perfect too? If they are, then the imperfect is perfect? Are we talking riddles here? Is a flawed cup perfect?

If it holds the perfect cup of tea, what does it matter what the cup looks like?

As with everything tho, my perfect and your perfect will probably differ,,,

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx
Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Mayflow

A flawed cup is not only perfect, it has a unique uniqueness! :-)

~ Zenmaster May ~

Now from a philosophical perspective, if the cup is able to serve its purpose, it is not flawed. Nor is it flawed from a pragmatic viewpoint.

From an observational viewpoint, it depends upon the observer's mindset. One may think it is flawed for not looking as they think it should, and another may think as the Zenmaster may May. :-) - I love this forum....
Old 08-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Master
i don't see why i should accept myself. i find the self love concept odd too. this is not to say i dislike myself. why should i have any idea about myself? an idea being a permanent image of who i am, be it noble, stupid, perfect, cool as or whatever.

i feel that you can have kundalini shooting out the top of your head and still be utterly lost. in fact capacity has a great inclination to self decpetion is my experience.

perfection is an idea that seems to me to be possibly born of misery, a reaction to it if you like. not finding answers folk accept themselves to ease their pain. why be anything psychologically speaking? why have an idea of what you are? not to say that i don't too, i'm just asking..

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Master
i don't see why i should accept myself. i find the self love concept odd too. this is not to say i dislike myself. why should i have any idea about myself? an idea being a permanent image of who i am, be it noble, stupid, perfect, cool as or whatever.

Accepting is usually part of the process of letting go and getting free of the fixed, defended self-image.

Xan

Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Master
when i think of accepting i think of coming to terms with a certain reality that i don't like...there's resistance implied.

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 08-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by necta3
when i think of accepting i think of coming to terms with a certain reality that i don't like...there's resistance implied.

You can accept or reject what I think about what you have said here as you like, but it translates to me to be that you don't like certain things about what you consider to be your reality so you don't want to accept them. What you think about your reality is just what you think, not the reality itself.

~ Zenmaster May ~ (it's just a new kick I am on about!) - Don't take anything I say overly literally .... :-)