Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 26-04-2017, 05:51 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
Today in yoga we did some breathing practices, with a inhalation of three, hold for twelve and then out for six. I became conscious of a hump in my exhalation space. Some were struggling with the holding space, but for me it was the breath out which I found I immediately needed a big breath on the out breath. I was observing more than entertaining it and continued as best I could.

In reflection I am aware that the old patterns of my breath, were caught up in fight and flight responses from fear patterns. I was told as a child I used to hold my breath and pass out quite naturally, has me wondering if this old pattern relates more to the external reactions when I came around. Apparently I put the fear of god into my siblings who thought I would die and usually my father gave me a hard smack to get me out of the slump, which was his fear at play..

It makes sense really.

A lot of people approach the Asana's from the perspective that you should hold them for long periods of time and focus on your breathing. Others teach that you should inhale a breath of air when your body is positioned one way, and exhale the breath of air when the body is another position. Basically, the second way was how I learned to breath while practicing the Asana's.

And I'm not trying to say that you don't already understand that fact bexause you hinted that you might in your first post ...

"What is moving and not moving in me."

My own understanding is that there are certain Assnas where your not supposed to be breathing. It's my opinion that both Halasana and Shoulderstand fall into that catagory for the reason that in both off those Asana's, the neck is bent, supporting the weight of the body, which forms a natural bandha referred to as Jalandara bandha. So your not supposed to be breathing.

The purpose for that Asana is to stretch the throat because that represents the seat of prana, but goes by the name of Udana. Prana is actually located in the chest. The word prana of pranayama means life energy and is a reference to the Inhalation breath. The word "ayama" of pranayama means "to stretch or to extend." That's partly a reference to the throat (Udana), which has to do more with the unblocking of that area, but it's also a reference to a lot of the other Asana's.

The "fight or flight response" is due to the exhalation breath. The exhalation breath is Apana (waste). I prefer to take that breath when the body is in a more relaxed state.
Old 26-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Experiencer

Interesting information Mystic Mark. That's not the sort of information that even lots of great yoga videos don't tell you on them. So thanks for sharing.
Old 26-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Master

In my practice, I do both the shoulder stand and the plow pose. And I engage in voluntary breathing during both these poses with attention to the moola bandha.
Old 27-04-2017, 12:25 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
Interesting information Mystic Mark. That's not the sort of information that even lots of great yoga videos don't tell you on them. So thanks for sharing.

Your welcome, Debrah :)
Old 25-12-2018, 02:28 PM
Master
Yes... halasana (plow pose).. it's definitely one of my favourites..