Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 22-07-2017, 08:32 AM
Seeker

The Thoth

Hi
I notice that the Thoth isn't on any ones list of decks and I wondered why. You don't have to channel Crowley to use it. You don't even have to like him.
inomminate
Old 22-07-2017, 09:46 AM
55Degrees

I have read a lot of Crowley's works, I don't necessarily agree with him, but I find his stream of thought fascinating.
An insane genius? Very possibly.
Evil? By some groups definition, yes. To others, it's a grey area (think in terms of mental stability/mental health)
He was definitely born before his time and changed the spirituality/magickal landscape.

I don't use Thoth as I don't like artificial systems being squeezed into tarot, although I admire anyone who wants to go down that path of learning.

I'm a RWS person and feel I still have so much to learn within that system, Thoth may happen for me one day but I don't have any plans as yet.
Old 22-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Seeker

Hi
Thanks for your reply.I have nothing but respect for the RWS. It is one of the great decks. It is for me a complement to the Thoth. Both came out of the golden dawn but from different angles. Crowley was a magician and Waite was a mystic. I find one of them will show me what the other misses. For This reason I often use both at the same time.

As for imposing a system on tarot. I feel that when you do this then the Tarot will talk to you in terms of the system. This doesn't make the system right and its why so many conflicting decks all work. However the richer the system is then the more the Tarot can say.

Inomminate
Old 22-07-2017, 06:30 PM
55Degrees

If you like the Thoth deck, have you seen the Rosetta Tarot? It's rather nice and apparently the deck creator's guide book is supposed to be really good too.
There's a youtuber called Sacred Seed who does a full walk through and review of the deck if you're interested in finding out more about it.
Old 22-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Deactivated Account

I am very aware the Thoth is a very popular tarot deck, but I have never been pulled or drawn to buy it. I researched it, and looked at the images very carefully and I am not attracted to this deck, it looks too difficult to work with for me personally. For example, when I see a Lovers card....I want to see the Lovers card!. I want to feel the emotion and all the intensities from the illustrations. All the lines and bright fruity colors of the Thoth don't do it for me. If I do own it someday it would be to have as a collectors items but i have so much on my wish list that i am more excited to buy than this particular deck. Nevertheless, it's an intriguing deck, If anyone wants to give it to me free, Ill take it!
Old 29-07-2017, 04:24 AM
Seeker

I do like Thoth Tarot Deck I love the Major Arcana Images, quite thought provoking... Another deck that seems to be modeled on Thoth is Melody's Crystal Millennium Tarot ... here is The Magus ...