Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Mountain-Goat

The leeches

A reposting from many moons ago.

Leeches

There is a state forest near the Queensland/New South Wales border. Many walking tracks run through it, starting at a place called Binna Burra.
From my place, near Brisbane, it takes me about 90 minutes to get there by car.
I have been there many times, and when I acquire another car or bike, I shall visit it many times more.

I re energise in solitude. Especially in nature. And my favorite track to walk and re energise in complete solitude is the waterfall walk, 6 hours of tranquility and beauty.
The best times for me to walk in rainforests is in cold weather and or overcast or light rain.
The colder the better, especially since this keeps other people away as most of the other visitors to Binna Burra are tourists who seem to prefer warm clear weather.
In that type of weather, I find rainforests much too humid and hot for my tastes.

The track, for the first hour, runs along the ridge of the mountain. One will usually come across other hikers on this track if the weather isn't too harsh.
It's wider, fairly flat and easy going. But when one turns off this central track, to which several longer ones branch off of, that's when one leaves others behind.

The waterfall track takes about 3-4 hours to walk. It then reconnects back to the main track, to which it is about a 90 minute walk back to Binna Burra.
The 1 hour track, before the waterfall track, is the preparation walk. It's where I begin to shed the life I have within society.
To leave behind the thoughts and concerns of the day to day life.
To disconnect myself from the flow of that life, from that reality, in preparation
to connect to the reality that awaits me in the deeper, secluded parts of the rainforest.

If all goes well with me, by the time I reach the waterfall turnoff, I am in a relaxed and meditative state.
If not, it doesn't take long to get there as I begin the slow gradual descent down to the creek.
It is upon this track that the forest slowly darkens, the silence grows and envelops me,
civilization truly fades away and a primordial quality arises.

The cold is crisp and invigorating, and each step conjures up a perception of going back in time, reconnecting to the source.
The sound of my heartbeat, breathing and footsteps with the occasional sights and sounds of small birds, lizards,
snakes and forest wobblies adds to what I can only describe as a life affirming and magical experience.
Any thoughts that I may have, dissolve as I simply allow them to waft past. They are not needed in this place.

Then there are the Leeches.

They are at least an hour or more away, I have never calculated the exact distance from the turnoff
but they live in that part of the track that follows and crosses the creek so many times.
I would say a 2 hour section is their domain, and for every time I have been there over the years,
regardless of weather conditions, they are always there.

I assume hundreds of them as I encounter on average 30-40 leeches
each time I traverse this 2 hour section, regardless of time of day or season.
To traverse this section without the fear of being sucked dry and left by the wayside to become compost,
one must be vigilant and check shoes and legs every 30-60 seconds,
especially when one crosses the creek and stopping to crouch down to take a drink from said creek.

Yes slight exaggeration, but given to hilight the swiftness and frantic nature of these Leeches.
Even with a high level of diligence on my part I still manage to find myself
bleeding through multiple holes made by these creatures, they are that quick.

Anyways, I usually don't have a problem with Leeches feeding off me.
They have every right to survive as much as me.
What I have begun to have issues with is how long it takes for these holes to heal.
I have noticed, as I physically age, it now takes about a month for complete healing
and one month was way too long at this particular time, and infection was my main concern.
You see, before I lived in the cabin at the caravan park, while I was still working, I lived in my car.
I did this for at least 8 months and during this time I did not wash.
It was part of the minimalism I was meant to experience.

Now you may be thinking that I must have stunk real bad.
Actually I did not stink at all, even through the sweltering heat of summer.
All my x co workers could verify this. I personally put it down to my Hermit Genes.
I can't see how one could be a hermit and also be able to put up with that continuous stink.
Conclusion...hermits did not stink.

The week I was planning to go for the walk, I was thinking of the Leeches, the only annoying thing about the walk,
and I had this crazy thought about asking the Leeches to not feed off me.
I had never done anything like this before and even by my "standards" it seemed a bit wacky.
I had only been exploring spiritual things for a few years by this time, but I felt excitement about this experiment
and sensed I was open enough to try it without doubt getting in the way.

So, on the path, deep in the rainforest, tuned into the frequency of nature,
as I was coming closer to the Leech section I spoke to them...out loud.
It went something like this....
"Greetings Leeches, (also making a Mr.Spock "Live long and prosper" hand gesture just for the fun of it)
today I would appreciate if you didn't feed off me.
It takes a long time for the wounds to heal,( I think I even explained my living arrangements to them)
so If you wouldn't mind, please refrain from taking blood from me.
If you still do I'm cool with that as I know you guys gotta eat, survival of your species and all that.
Still, I would prefer you didn't, mutual respect sort of thing, thanks."

So with that done, I continued my walk. I also decided I would not take one look at my shoes or legs
till I got past the Leech section and I would also take far more time than usual crossing the creek and stopping for a drink.

I had an extra blissful time in the rainforest this day due to clearing my mind of all Leech thoughts.
My focus for those couple of hours was solely on my oneness with the rainforest.
Upon arriving at a place where I deemed was not Leech territory, I looked down and...
Holy Monkey ! Not one Leech and not one wound.

Still just learning how to hear my intuition, I had a feeling it would be so, but to actually see it with my own eyes was most amazing.
During the 2 hour walk back to my car, along the main ridge path, I decided to check in with the ranger's office
to get confirmation that the Leeches weren't seasonal and to ask them their far more knowledgeable opinion
and make sure there were no abnormalities that would cause the Leeches to not be there this particular day.

Going by their knowledge, this time of year the Leeches are in full swing in that area
and there were no abnormalities to contradict their statement.

Looking forward to conducting this spiritual experiment when I get another car.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Master
Thanks for the great read AC ... I haven't asked the leeches to back off but I have managed to harmonize with the mossies on a few occasions when i haven't been able to 'avoid' sharing their space ... maybe we emit some sort of unspoken message which is 'understood on some other level when we utter the words lol ... I used to live in the Copeland Tops State Forest out near Gloucester … I would go walkabouts pretty much every day ... follow the creeks (up stream) until I came across their source then turn around and walk back down ... semi sub tropical lol ... full of leeches … I can so relate to stopping every few steps to check/pull them off ... didn’t leave home without the Saxa salt lol I never noticed the slow healing but like you, I was a lot younger then too so maybe these days it would be different ... on that trek there were untold stinging nettles too, which were impossible not to brush up against ... I managed to transcend the pain they caused and allow them to work their magic on my nervous system lol the first few times I got stung I would frantically search around for a clump of Dock weed which is always growing close by nettles, but after a while I didn’t mind the ‘charge’ and feeling of being kept on my toes lol

I look forward to reading the results of future research :)
Old 08-09-2012, 06:04 PM
SoulWhisperer

Beautiful. Just by reading, I almost felt the need to pack a few things on my bag, take a plane, and travel to the great outback. I can't say I had near as profound an experience as you had, but I felt a connection, something of a deep "light and timeless" understanding.

I remember when I was a kid i used to have a hard time with people and school. So, I would go to the bush near my house and take my library copy of the NEVER ENDING STORY, and just sit on the floor among the bushes to read it. I loved to be there in the silence, among the nature and fly in my mind's eye to a different world.

I understand when you talk about a " walking meditation " if you can call it that. I sometimes experience it. After a good walk I feel peaceful, alive, my mind feels lighter and clearer.

Interesting experience. Stating your needs out loud. Feels like a prayer. I usually like to do what I call a prayer/meditation. Once a day I kneel, bow my head and do sort of a pagan prayer for about 20 minutes. And to tell you the truth, I have good results. When I go out and feel the smell of nature, of the wind, of trees, birds It is an exhilarating, almost tantric experience. Letting out things and hearing yourself say it regularly I would say is almost like self hypnosis. And is liberating also, like releasing spiritual. mental, and physical blockages.

I still don't get what you mean about me being challenged by ants inside my house. I need to give it some thought.

Blessings

SOULWHISPERER
Old 09-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound
Thanks for the great read AC ... I haven't asked the leeches to back off but I have managed to harmonize with the mossies on a few occasions when i haven't been able to 'avoid' sharing their space ... maybe we emit some sort of unspoken message which is 'understood on some other level when we utter the words lol ... I used to live in the Copeland Tops State Forest out near Gloucester … I would go walkabouts pretty much every day ... follow the creeks (up stream) until I came across their source then turn around and walk back down ... semi sub tropical lol ... full of leeches … I can so relate to stopping every few steps to check/pull them off ... didn’t leave home without the Saxa salt lol I never noticed the slow healing but like you, I was a lot younger then too so maybe these days it would be different ... on that trek there were untold stinging nettles too, which were impossible not to brush up against ... I managed to transcend the pain they caused and allow them to work their magic on my nervous system lol the first few times I got stung I would frantically search around for a clump of Dock weed which is always growing close by nettles, but after a while I didn’t mind the ‘charge’ and feeling of being kept on my toes lol

I look forward to reading the results of future research :)
Nice read.
Yes, down here, more than back in queensland, i am more naturally harmonizing with insects and animals.
The only defense i have done so far here, is remove white tipped spiders from inside the house, for me mum;
and when i first arrived i totally forgot myself and killed a shiny blue ant, the size of shape of a large wasp, because they are aggressive and thier sting is like being on fire.

I've done the acceptance of mozzies thing a few times, simply allowing them to drill away, and like you stinging nettle experience i imagine, they are rather different experiences that the learned behaviour of defense or attack, seeing what resides inside beyond being annoyed etc.

Exploring the creeks up to the sources...nice.

I had an experience when i was a young lad.
Your post has reminded me of this; i haven't thought of this experience for many many moons,
but as i recall it now, i consider experiences like this shaped, or brought out the positive attributes i have.

Dad, me brothers and i were at the river, secluded, thick lush bush, peaceful, quiet,
all that could be heard was the gentle flow of the river, in frequent bird noises of various kinds off in the distance,
and the buzz of a few dragonflies and other assorted insects.

It was a most shady, cool, fresh, lush green setting.
I caught a catfish, being a young goofy kid, i joyfully jumped up and down and accidently stood on said catfish.
The 2-3 inch sword like fin on it's back completely impaled the arch of my foot.

Holy monkey, was i in agonizing pain for about 4 hours.
My whole leg was throbbing in pain from the poison of catfish's barbs.
Like the worst migraine headache, but in the leg, and travelling up my spine, dissapating with distance away from the wound.

Me dad, messed up person he was, was not interested in the obvious excruciating pain i was in.
He simply turned from the river, looked at me ,shrugged and said there was nothing to do about it.
I wanted to go to hospital it was that painful.

So, the edenic setting i was in had now turned into a harsh prison of pain, with indifferent cellmates,
apart from one of my brothers remarking, "Gee that must hurt.", before returning back to his fishing.

So, limping around like someone who just dropped a bowling ball on their foot, wailing in pain,
it took me quite a while to realize that all that i can do is accept and experience this pain.
What an internal trip that was at such an early age.
Experiencing pain in total acceptance mode, exploring the sensations, my thoughts and feelings within it.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulWhisperer
Beautiful. Just by reading, I almost felt the need to pack a few things on my bag, take a plane, and travel to the great outback. I can't say I had near as profound an experience as you had, but I felt a connection, something of a deep "light and timeless" understanding.

I remember when I was a kid i used to have a hard time with people and school. So, I would go to the bush near my house and take my library copy of the NEVER ENDING STORY, and just sit on the floor among the bushes to read it. I loved to be there in the silence, among the nature and fly in my mind's eye to a different world.
You describe such a magical experience, such a simple thing, sitting in the bush reading,
but i can envison how profound the experience was to you.
I so wish i could've been there with you sharing and feeling the same as you.
Quote:
I understand when you talk about a " walking meditation " if you can call it that. I sometimes experience it. After a good walk I feel peaceful, alive, my mind feels lighter and clearer.
i was not aware of the concept of meditation till mid 2000s, but as i read about it,
i looked back and realized i had meditated as far back as my early childhood.
That i am a natural meditator, as i think all humans, are but for reasons unknown to me,
in some it is activated and in some it isn't.
Quote:
Interesting experience. Stating your needs out loud. Feels like a prayer. I usually like to do what I call a prayer/meditation. Once a day I kneel, bow my head and do sort of a pagan prayer for about 20 minutes. And to tell you the truth, I have good results. When I go out and feel the smell of nature, of the wind, of trees, birds It is an exhilarating, almost tantric experience. Letting out things and hearing yourself say it regularly I would say is almost like self hypnosis. And is liberating also, like releasing spiritual. mental, and physical blockages.
I spoke it out loud as a stand against my doubts, that i was not embarrassed to do this.
Speaking it out loud , manifesting it into the outside world, as opposed to keeping it hidden in the inside world of my mind.
A declaration of my commitment and trust not only in myself, but also of the notion of being able to communicate with other species.
Speaking it out made it real to me at that time.
Years later i know i don't have to speak out loud to communicate, but i still prefer to do it this way.