Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM
northstar

PTSD...

i understand pain, i understand loss, i understand sorrow, i understand survivors guilt, i understand 'i could have saved him, and i didnt'... i understand nightmares, despair, fear and the abyss... what i dont understand is the psychological break from reality... is this real or just an invention of hollywood... (in laymans terms if you could)...
Old 02-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Master
How much have you researched ptsd ~ I myself don't precisely know what the experts mean when they use the term post traumatic stress disorder...I wasn't fully aware that it meant that someone with it is suffering a psychological break from reality. I guess my understanding of the term is that someone is simply suffering tremendously from something very traumatic and that it is extremely difficult to carry on with varying degrees of everyday life. ?

Old 02-06-2011, 06:42 PM
northstar

i, ummm, ahem... dont study... your definition is pretty close to mine...
Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Master
So, northstar, was there anything you wanted to share or say about ptsd or hollywood for that matter? It looked like there was some particular movie(s) that may have portrayed it in a way you reacted to, in what way I have no idea...?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar
i understand pain, i understand loss, i understand sorrow, i understand survivors guilt, i understand 'i could have saved him, and i didnt'... i understand nightmares, despair, fear and the abyss... what i dont understand is the psychological break from reality... is this real or just an invention of hollywood... (in laymans terms if you could)...

I see PTSD every day, in the real world (ie mine).

The psychological break from reality comes when a person can't get away from those feelings you described. The cannot take it anymore - and so they make an escape route. It's not as easy or as simple as you've described.

It is NOT an invention of hollywood or any sort of sign of weakness.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Prokopton

Agree strongly with Kaere. Have studied this somewhat.

Can say more and keep it layman -- it's about the nervous system being unable to handle things. The mind produces images of fear and the nervous system, already overloaded with fight/flight stuff, believes them. And they are contagious.

It's a very serious business, but there are good understandings of how to treat it coming up.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:59 PM
northstar

ahhh... ok, thank you kaere very much... dont know why i needed to know that, i just did (smile)... it fills out my knowledge... thank you
Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 PM
northstar

thanks prokopton... i did tons of drugs back in the day, and came real close, so i can use my imagination to fill out the rest...
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Prokopton

Babette Rothschild is a great healer of PTSD. That video contains an excellent visual metaphor involving a coke bottle if you are interested, which shows how the nervous system can be healed.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 PM
northstar

yes... 'find the (car) break'... i think that comes natural to me (to find for another)... in fact, i had a few myself back in the day... the coke thing was a bit basic, but it showed its point... thx