Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 17-01-2011, 11:00 PM
LIFE

Regressive reincarnation

I was recently reading Robert Thurman's book Infinite Life. The book started out well enough and was rather interesting.

In the beginning he speaks about how many people are turned off by the concept of reincarnation by thoughts of regressive reincarnation- i.e., incarnating as a lower life form- and seems to imply that this is incorrect.

Later on though, he makes some very odd assertions. He says that one's thoughts at the exact moment of death decide what lifeform that being will migrate too at the moment of rebirth. He said that someone that tries to build a wall between themself and the world will likely be reborn as something like a turtle. He then goes onto say that someone that has lived a life of anger and dies in the state will be reborn as a fanged spider. Then he says that it will take innumerable eons (even something bordering on an infinite amount of time) before that being may reach human-hood again.

As I'm reading this, I am saying, "C'mon Bob, you can't be serious." This sounds like utter superstitious ****. This is the Tibetan Buddhist version of coercion. This would be their version of "hell"- a scare tactic to manipulate a person into "right living" and "right thinking."

He also intimates that someone who commits suicide will be in a whole heap of trouble. This is great news for family members of people that have committed suicide. They can think of their loved on as that spider that they just smashed with the newspaper. One life down, countless lives left over the next 10 billion years before that loved on may be human again. What a consolation!

Ultimately, I give this the same amount of creedence that I give to Christian beliefs such as "hell"- none at all.

When will religion move beyond superstition?
Old 18-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Experiencer
I have a deep appreciation for Buddha and Buddhism. This is most likely because I do not go beyond the basic principles.

I would say, simply observe your reaction to the "superstition". Is the reaction based on fear, pride, or guilt? Why?
Old 18-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Experiencer
Hi Life,

I suggest that you don't pay any attention to other peoples theories about reincarnation or rebirth, because nobody knows for sure. What's important is this present life and your practice in the here and now, not speculation about past or future lives.

I strongly recommend you read Ajahn Buddhasada's "Anatta and Rebirth" for a completely different approach.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Bo...nd_Rebirth.pdf

Kind wishes,

Samana
Old 18-01-2011, 09:05 PM
LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
I strongly recommend you read Ajahn Buddhasada's "Anatta and Rebirth" for a completely different approach.

Ajahn is quite vehement about his conviction that there is NO rebirth and No reincarnation. He state's that the consciousness that you seem to have does not continue on in any way after death.

This is tantamount to oblivion, which is therefore no different from the prevailing terminal view of life that scientism teaches. Death is eternal nothingness.

The question remains- if this is true, then why not eat, drink, and be merry?
Old 18-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Experiencer
The Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path can be realised in this lifetime, so we can overcome our own stress, dissatisfaction, conflict and suffering. There's no need for drink and drugs and passing pleasures, because we can have real happiness and peace of mind and then help others find it too.

Old 18-01-2011, 10:24 PM
LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
The Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path can be realised in this lifetime, so we can overcome our own stress, dissatisfaction, conflict and suffering. There's no need for drink and drugs and passing pleasures, because we can have real happiness and peace of mind and then help others find it too.

OK, but why spend your one and only life trying to find enlightenment? If you only live once, why spend the time and effort. It may take your entire lifetime to reach enlightenment. So, basically, you MAY find "real" happiness right before you die and your one and only life ends.
Old 19-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFE
OK, but why spend your one and only life trying to find enlightenment? If you only live once, why spend the time and effort. It may take your entire lifetime to reach enlightenment. So, basically, you MAY find "real" happiness right before you die and your one and only life ends.

Why speculate ? Just practice.