Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 20-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia
Please don't think this is a double post, I have also put a similar post in the christian section as I would like their opinions... but I also want to hear what other pagans do.

On friday I went to my husband's cousin's funeral. It was a beautiful christian ceremony, the hymn that was chosen was beautiful, but very christian.

The lord's prayer was also said by the congregation.

I have every respect for their path, and even get a sense of peace in churches. I love seeing anyone getting strength and peace from their religion, but christianity just doesn't resonate with me.

I don't want to be a hypocrite by saying prayers or singing hymns that I don't believe in, but I don't want to be seen as rude by not joining in.

What do you do in these situations?
I simply do not participate. During prayer I will nod my head slightly as to not seem irreverent, and just don't sing a hymn. I do not internally "substitute" names because I find that offensive to both my gods and the god of the Christians. Bottom line, show respect when you are in the house of worship of anyone. Or anyone's house for that matter.
Old 20-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Time

Quote:
I have every respect for their path, and even get a sense of peace in churches. I love seeing anyone getting strength and peace from their religion, but christianity just doesn't resonate with me.

I don't want to be a hypocrite by saying prayers or singing hymns that I don't believe in, but I don't want to be seen as rude by not joining in.

Quote:
[BI have every respect for their path, and even get a sense of peace in churches. I love seeing anyone getting strength and peace from their religion, but christianity just doesn't resonate with me.][/b]

Thats all that matters... And really that belief is one of the core beliefs on the christian/catholic tradition, most of us jsut forget... As long as you respect them, it doesnt matter. The only thing that would be disrespectful, is to go up for the bread..... That you "cant" do...
Old 21-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Master
Tilia " get a sense of peace in churches"

I often use the cathedral in the city for meditation. Something about those old places [almost 1000 year-old !], the builders knew a trick or two ! If I am very lucky, the main organ starts up and the subsonics are unbelievable !
It does help, of course, that I know there is a pagan holy site under my feet in the vaults.
Old 21-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Sungirl

Norseman, that sounds wonderful.

I don't live near any churches now so don't have that opportunity, but sometimes the energy in them is almost overwhelming.

Although I know there are often pagan sacred sites underneath them, if I go to a stone circle I simply don't feel it.... I think it is too old for me to feel.. Christian churches and cathederals have had a stream of faith poured into them much more recently which makes it easier for me to feel it, on the basis that I just don't "feel" energy very well.

I also think that although I struggle with the tennets of christianity, churches are often not tainted by that. When people are in pure prayer and in communion with their god it is much purer.. so much easier to accept as it doesn't carry the "hell fire and brimstone" stuff.
Old 21-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Sungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
Thats all that matters... And really that belief is one of the core beliefs on the christian/catholic tradition, most of us jsut forget... As long as you respect them, it doesnt matter. The only thing that would be disrespectful, is to go up for the bread..... That you "cant" do...

Hi Time

I wouldn't even want to be at a communion, let alone step up for the bread and wine..... even through I was brought up christian I wasn't christened so I haven't had a confirmation.... so I'm not allowed in at that bit even if I wanted to.
Old 21-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Time

LOL

That was my point, but theres no reason as to why you couldnt go to a service, and if you knew the prayors to say them. You know the intent behind them, and your intent is really the same ( m assuming you want love and hapienss for the world etc), so, why would some "god" be offended....

Some people might be, but thena gain, your beliefs are your buisness. Dont ask, dont tell
Old 21-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Sungirl

very good point
Old 27-07-2011, 08:04 PM
vikinwarlord777

I'm a former catholic and no longer "believe" in jesus, well I do but in a heretical hindu sort of way seeing him as the aspect of god that deals with forgivness and since I have no guilt at the moment I have no use for him. If I'm in a church for whatever reason I just space out and think about other stuff. I do stand kneel ect, so as not to be rude but I don't pray to jesus (though I do get a thrill praying to Kali in a catholic church).
Old 28-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Enlightener

Oh boy, me and christian service doesn't mix. I attended a morning mass with my sister a couple of years ago. At one point I burst out laughing at the absurdity of what the priest was saying, much to the dismay of the the christians around me, a few wayward glances, and maybe a death stare or two. Couldn't stop giggling to myself, it was pretty funny stuff though.

I opted to get up and leave the service and buy a pack of smokes, as I couldn't stand listening to the preacher any longer.

I also have the compulsion to get up on stage and tell the preacher what the 'truth' is, or at least my truth, kind of blow everyone's mind or something, but I don't think that would go down very well. It would get heated. And would fall on deaf ears.
Old 28-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Master
I think that they are good for amusement, to see how people from the past made these ceremonies to appease their gods.