Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 20-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Guide
Historical Prejudice Against Women

The Christian Saint Jerome said that a woman can be called a man and no longer be a woman when she desires to serve Christ more than the world. He also said that the most unclean thing in the world is a woman having her periods, so that everything she touches also becomes unclean.

The famous ancient Greek philosopher Socrates was quoted by Plato as asking does anyone know anything practised by humanity in which men are not far superior to women? And in the religion of Hinduism, it is written that women are not permitted to become competent students of the Veda scriptures, and as children they must obey their father, in youth they must obey their husband, when the latter is deceased they must obey their sons, and they shall never be independent.

And in Buddhism it is said that being reborn a woman is caused by a person's bad karma. In one of their prayer books, Jewish men read that God is blessed when He does not create a person to be a slave, heathen or woman. And the Jewish Talmud says that it's preferable to burn the Torah's words than to "entrust them to a woman."
The Muslim Koran says that a woman is "half a man" and females become forgetful and are by nature weaker in their ability to rationalize.

As can be seen from the abovementioned, an avalanche of negativity has been directed at women throughout thousands of years of history, which explains why the rights of females are still such a huge issue in the modern world.

Old 20-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer21
As can be seen from the abovementioned, an avalanche of negativity has been directed at women throughout thousands of years of history, which explains why the rights of females are still such a huge issue in the modern world.
Religion isn't the problem. And the Old Testament certainly isn't: We don't poke out eyes for eyes anymore, do we? We've evolved well beyond that fundamentalist extremism; it's pretty much a non-issue in the 21st century, in the Western world anyway and in most other parts as well.

The answer is simple. Like all issues, self-awareness is key. For example, as a male, I wouldn't use a photo like yours for my avatar. It sexualizes women. You're a guy, yet obviously you don't agree. Which is one of my points: Who can say who is right and who is wrong? You're saying these people and these religions are bad given their attitudes towards women (and I agree). Yet I could say the same thing about any male who uses a sexy pic of a woman for his avatar. That's why it's important not to point fingers at others and make them the problem. The answer always starts with you, and what you are doing or not doing, and not with anyone else, or with any particular religion or philosophy.
Old 20-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Master
My theory is that men just don't understand women and hence fear them. Femininity is a very powerful spiritual force and in many ways men are dependent upon it out of desire, want and need. There are very, very few men who are independent of women.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 20-09-2018, 11:48 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
The Christian Saint Jerome said that a woman can be called a man and no longer be a woman when she desires to serve Christ more than the world. He also said that the most unclean thing in the world is a woman having her periods, so that everything she touches also becomes unclean.

The famous ancient Greek philosopher Socrates was quoted by Plato as asking does anyone know anything practised by humanity in which men are not far superior to women? And in the religion of Hinduism, it is written that women are not permitted to become competent students of the Veda scriptures, and as children they must obey their father, in youth they must obey their husband, when the latter is deceased they must obey their sons, and they shall never be independent.

And in Buddhism it is said that being reborn a woman is caused by a person's bad karma. In one of their prayer books, Jewish men read that God is blessed when He does not create a person to be a slave, heathen or woman. And the Jewish Talmud says that it's preferable to burn the Torah's words than to "entrust them to a woman."
The Muslim Koran says that a woman is "half a man" and females become forgetful and are by nature weaker in their ability to rationalize.

Removing my post wound not change anything, but only proves that this site imposes censorship and has no true Christian spirituality and value, because there is censorship there is no freedom of opinion, expression, and spirituality.

You are “spiritual” FOX and CNN.

Get offended?

Eat it!
Old 21-09-2018, 03:18 AM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Religion isn't the problem. And the Old Testament certainly isn't: We don't poke out eyes for eyes anymore, do we? We've evolved well beyond that fundamentalist extremism; it's pretty much a non-issue in the 21st century, in the Western world anyway and in most other parts as well.

The answer is simple. Like all issues, self-awareness is key. For example, as a male, I wouldn't use a photo like yours for my avatar. It sexualizes women. You're a guy, yet obviously you don't agree. Which is one of my points: Who can say who is right and who is wrong? You're saying these people and these religions are bad given their attitudes towards women (and I agree). Yet I could say the same thing about any male who uses a sexy pic of a woman for his avatar. That's why it's important not to point fingers at others and make them the problem. The answer always starts with you, and what you are doing or not doing, and not with anyone else, or with any particular religion or philosophy.

Baile, thanks for your interesting comments. Concerning my avatar, the reason I have chosen an image of a beautiful woman is because I have a deep love and respect for women in general. Why is it a crime to portray women as sexy and physically beautiful? Do you consider sexiness to be something harmful and unclean?

The avatar is a photo of actress Gal Gadot who is a wonderful role model for women. As Wonder Woman in the recent epic movie that broke box-office records, she symbolises the equality, liberation and God-given beauty of all women wherever they may be.

How can showing a sexy image of a woman be unseemly and inappropriate when, in the very Beginning, God created woman with sexual physical attributes? Why would God create the latter and then turn around and say that they must not be used and that if one displays any form of sexiness, that person should feel guilty and be ashamed.

Actress Gal Gadot is beautiful in her heart and in her physical appearance, and that is why she is in my avatar.

Old 21-09-2018, 03:34 AM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
My theory is that men just don't understand women and hence fear them. Femininity is a very powerful spiritual force and in many ways men are dependent upon it out of desire, want and need. There are very, very few men who are independent of women.

Honza, it's true what you say that prejudice against women is based on lack of understanding which leads to fear. Deep inside, men sense that Feminine energy is very powerful, so they are afraid that women will use that power to control and overpower them. Therefore, throughout history, they have taken steps they considered necessary to keep women under men's control.

Old 21-09-2018, 06:47 AM
Master
Quote:

Great observation.........

If you look at Kings 1 and 2; a lot is going on but something seems to be missing. It appears the Northern Kingdom did like women and some archaeologist have unearthed evidence to support that point.

Clue: look at Yahweh's consort.
Old 21-09-2018, 07:24 AM
Master
Quote:
How can showing a sexy image of a woman be unseemly and inappropriate when, in the very Beginning, God created woman with sexual physical attributes?
Thanks for the reply, and to be clear, I was saying it's up to the individual to examine such questions. Individual consciousness is the key issue here, and it's almost always a question for the individual person alone to examine. Nevertheless, I personally disagree with you, and I see no reason for using avatar pics that sexualize women or men. And bringing "God" into this makes even less sense. "God" has nothing to do with it. It's a choice you alone made. The very foundation of your argument here in fact is no different than the one used by church fathers centuries ago to support their views: that it was "God" who made women inferior to men. In other words, it's perfectly okay to hold such views, because it was "God" who did it and who made it so. It's a deflection technique and mindset common to religious, spiritual and philosophical paths; one that allows the individual to then abdicate taking personal responsibility for their belief-choices.

Moving on, why did church fathers centuries ago have such attitudes towards women? Because that happened to be their particular level of consciousness. Human consciousness is always evolving. And apart from fundamentalist extremists, nobody today believes that nonsense. So it really makes no sense to attack either the religion, or those people from centuries past who held those naive and unconscious beliefs.

Now, if a fundamentist came on here arguing their religion is correct, and that women are somehow less than and not equal to men, I say it's entirely appropriate to launch into a scathing critique of that individual's comments. As a human collective, we all know better than that. Simply put, no 21st-century individual is so ignorant as to believe such nonsense. And so it is no longer a consciousness issue at that point. It's an issue of a bigot spouting extremist hatred for the purpose of asserting their superiority over others. Attitudes that are intentionally and knowingly used to pervert, subvert and hurt should always be strongly challenged in no uncertain terms.

Last edited by Baile : 21-09-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 28-09-2018, 10:40 PM
Master

Baile, your attitude is kind of representing western modes of thought. many, many parts of the world in the 21st century are not in the same place as this. I feel to come down so hard on them, must seem like imperialism, a kind of empire where they are being forced to conform. it's all rather self defeating and I will tell you why
Because the equality of women and their equal worth is simply self evident naturally. its a natural truth that is baked in to life itself. all we need to know is let this truth reveal itself for what it is - not trying to enforce certain modes of thinking and beliefs that are connected to forms of political ideology. if it is true, it is true. incorporating political forms, such as liberalism or western culture in general, actually undermines your cause because it will be taken as an assault in one way or another and then womens equality is politicised, when it is simply a truth of life.
women are suffering today because their cause has been associated with politics which encompasses far more than just their equal rights
I think there isn't enough separation between these things and dare I say it a lack of faith in the fundamental equality of women in the first place. something is amiss and backfiring..
Old 29-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Experiencer
davidmartin wrote: "the equality of women and their equal worth is simply self evident naturally. its a natural truth that is baked in to life itself. all we need to know is let this truth reveal itself for what it is - not trying to enforce certain modes of thinking and beliefs that are connected to forms of political ideology."

The points you made are very important to consider. I especially like the way you unify the feminine into life whole. Baked in, absolutely!
What is a question but a call to the Universe for its answer? Who are you but a call of the Universe to be heard? Unity is the true foundation of our unfolding reality. We all belong together within the kaleidoscope of our perceived singularity.