Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 08-03-2012, 04:43 PM
MattParkman

I create tulpas, any advice?

I found my creations of my mind to be full tulpa images of a person who actually exists. I can remove them as quickly as i can manifest them. I am not inherently buddhist, i am gaian. What is the good part of tulpas? What should I be using them for? Is there a way to give people conscious impressions of what was said subconsciously?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattParkman
I found my creations of my mind to be full tulpa images of a person who actually exists. I can remove them as quickly as i can manifest them. I am not inherently buddhist, i am gaian. What is the good part of tulpas? What should I be using them for? Is there a way to give people conscious impressions of what was said subconsciously?

Hi Matt,

This has nothing to do with the teachings of Buddha and is connected to Tibetan shamanism.

Maybe a shaman or wicca forum might be more appropriate?

with kind regards

S.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:12 PM
MattParkman

Tulpa (Wylie: sprul-pa; Sanskrit: निर्मित nirmita[1] and निर्माण nirmāṇa;[2] "to build" or "to construct") is an upaya concept in Tibetan Buddhism and Bon, discipline and teaching tool. The term was first rendered into English as 'Thoughtform' by Evans-Wentz (1954: p. 29):

In as much as the mind creates the world of appearances, it can create any particular object desired. The process consists of giving palpable being to a visualization, in very much the same manner as an architect gives concrete expression in three dimensions to his abstract concepts after first having given them expression in the two-dimensions of his blue-print. The Tibetans call the One Mind's concretized visualization the Khorva (Hkhorva), equivalent to the Sanskrit Sangsara; that of an incarnate deity, like the Dalai or Tashi Lama, they call a Tul-ku (Sprul-sku), and that of a magician a Tul-pa (Sprul-pa), meaning a magically produced illusion or creation. A master of yoga can dissolve a Tul-pa as readily as he can create it; and his own illusory human body, or Tul-ku, he can likewise dissolve, and thus outwit Death. Sometimes, by means of this magic, one human form can be amalgamated with another, as in the instance of the wife of Marpa, guru of Milarepa, who ended her life by incorporating herself in the body of Marpa."[3]

Original Buddhist definition of a tulpa.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattParkman
Tulpa (Wylie: sprul-pa; Sanskrit: निर्मित nirmita[1] and निर्माण nirmāṇa;[2] "to build" or "to construct") is an upaya concept in Tibetan Buddhism and Bon, discipline and teaching tool. The term was first rendered into English as 'Thoughtform' by Evans-Wentz (1954: p. 29):

In as much as the mind creates the world of appearances, it can create any particular object desired. The process consists of giving palpable being to a visualization, in very much the same manner as an architect gives concrete expression in three dimensions to his abstract concepts after first having given them expression in the two-dimensions of his blue-print. The Tibetans call the One Mind's concretized visualization the Khorva (Hkhorva), equivalent to the Sanskrit Sangsara; that of an incarnate deity, like the Dalai or Tashi Lama, they call a Tul-ku (Sprul-sku), and that of a magician a Tul-pa (Sprul-pa), meaning a magically produced illusion or creation. A master of yoga can dissolve a Tul-pa as readily as he can create it; and his own illusory human body, or Tul-ku, he can likewise dissolve, and thus outwit Death. Sometimes, by means of this magic, one human form can be amalgamated with another, as in the instance of the wife of Marpa, guru of Milarepa, who ended her life by incorporating herself in the body of Marpa."[3]

Original Buddhist definition of a tulpa.

This isn't an "original Buddhist definition " Matt, because Tibetan Buddhism is mostly very different to the original teachings and practice of the historical Buddha. The Buddha didn't teach about tulkus and tulpas.

Why do I say this ? ...because I don't get my information from books and the internet, I practised Tibetan Buddhism offline for 20 years. It can't be practised from books and the internet anyway, one has to have instruction from an offline teacher or teachers.

kind regards

S.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
This isn't an "original Buddhist definition " Matt, because Tibetan Buddhism is mostly very different to the original teachings and practice of the historical Buddha. The Buddha didn't teach about tulkus and tulpas.

Why do I say this ? ...because I don't get my information from books and the internet, I practised Tibetan Buddhism offline for 20 years. It can't be practised from books and the internet anyway, one has to have instruction from an offline teacher or teachers.

kind regards

S.

Not everyone wishes to be taught by someone. The internet is not a teacher but more a way to hear/read about things and make you think. Nothing wrong with that. Besides, Buddha figured it out on his own.

As for advice on tulpa's: Be really, really, really careful, I've never seen one or made one but from what I have read they can be dangerous in the wrong hands (read: untrained, careless hands).
Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Not everyone wishes to be taught by someone. The internet is not a teacher but more a way to hear/read about things and make you think. Nothing wrong with that

Hi Denial,

I probably didn't express myself very clearly. What I meant was my knowledge of Tibetan Buddhism comes from actual offline experience in the past.

I didn't mean that people shouldn't read the internet. However, not everything that can be found on the internet is necessarily accurate information.

with kind wishes

S.