Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 15-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
I posted this on myspace here in the forum and thought it would be interesting here~

I've always had an attraction to crows cause they're so big 'n' sassy. When I went riding (horses) with a friend one time, we were riding through tall trees and bamboo one day and there were crows talking to each other all around, and I let out a few 'caws' myself and my friend said, you're really changing, lol! I felt at one with them and always have. One time, I was going into a public building and there were about 2 or 3 crows around walking on the sidewalk and one in particular seemed like he was deliberately walking in front of my path, but he wasn't aggressive or scary, almost like a connection between us, like hi, how are ya, just cooly walking along the stair in front of me. And the thing about him or her, was that he seemed so perfect. Every feather laid just so, he looked so solid, unreal almost. I never get that picture out of my mind when ever I think of it, it seems amazing to me. I guess you had to be there, lol. Another thing, I like imagining that when birds fly near my car or butterflies or other creatures, they know it's my car, Iknow that sounds totally nuts, but it's kinda fun to imagine it is so~

Native American legend says that the crow is so smart that when it had the opportunity to reincarnate as a human it chose to stay a crow. lol
Just thought I'd share that.
I really like the last part Silvergirl, and can really relate to it. I'd like to think that there is a relationship on a personal level with the birds and animals that visit and bless my life and I have plenty of stories to suggest that it is so.
I feel that I did my part in reestablishing such relationships and that they came to trust and know me.
Thinking about this, I can see how, here again, is another 'thing' I have pushed aside because I don't see how it can fit into how I see things now.
How stupid of me.......
Nice post, I enjoyed it very much and it brought back memories.
James
Old 15-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Administrator
Mine is the Crow everywhere i go they follow me,they are always around me
and also the Wolf i see him walking by my side.

Namaste

Old 15-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Mine is the Crow everywhere i go they follow me,they are always around me
and also the Wolf i see him walking by my side.

Namaste

I use to follow what is called crow augury and it is pretty cool to see that these incidences we run into with nature can possibly have messages hidden in them.
The number of crows and the direction they appear from all have specific meaning that has been documented over the ages.
Ted Andrews is a master at this.
Have you ever looked deeper into the events of when the crows appear?
It's fun to do..........
James
Old 15-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Hey james

No havent looked into it ill do that, what freaked my family out was when i buried my husband there were crows on the roof of my house, when i traveled in the car they were sitting on top of it, but when we buried him everyone just looked they couldnt believe their eyes, all the head stones had crows on them.
when i went back home they followed and were on my roof again.

Namaste
Old 15-11-2010, 06:24 PM
eraser

I too believe that we have much to learn from our associations with our furred and feathered brethren. And I agree that not all companion animals are necessarily life-long totems. It's my sense that some animals will play a larger role in our lives when there is a specific lesson (or series of lessons) to be learned.

Once those lessons have been absorbed, we may be nudged in a different direction by another companion or two.

My kinship with the Blue Heron goes back to my childhood though, and I'm nearly 60 now. His presence has woven itself in and out of my life and helped open me to the teachings of others. It's an exciting and fulfilling time.
Old 15-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Hey james

No havent looked into it ill do that, what freaked my family out was when i buried my husband there were crows on the roof of my house, when i traveled in the car they were sitting on top of it, but when we buried him everyone just looked they couldnt believe their eyes, all the head stones had crows on them.
when i went back home they followed and were on my roof again.

Namaste

I believe it! Wow.............that must have been comforting for you at the time.
I remember once finding a crow feather right after someone I knew passed away and when I found it, I was thinking about them so I looked up the meaning and it seems legend has it that crow feathers represent the souls of those who have passed.
Life is full of such cool mysteries isn't it!
Old 15-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser
I too believe that we have much to learn from our associations with our furred and feathered brethren. And I agree that not all companion animals are necessarily life-long totems. It's my sense that some animals will play a larger role in our lives when there is a specific lesson (or series of lessons) to be learned.

Once those lessons have been absorbed, we may be nudged in a different direction by another companion or two.

My kinship with the Blue Heron goes back to my childhood though, and I'm nearly 60 now. His presence has woven itself in and out of my life and helped open me to the teachings of others. It's an exciting and fulfilling time.

I agree eraser……….
A little story:
I remember when the time came for me to learn my power animal totem. I went outside and reflected on this and suddenly heard an Owl. It happened again shortly thereafter and up till then, I never heard an Owl outside so I went in and got online and from the sound I heard, it was clear that it was a Great Horned Owl.
Being the way I was at the time, I still insisted on proof, so I went back out and asked for a 3rd ‘hooting’ to give me confirmation.
Nothing happened so I was a little surprised because the whole thing was kinda magical.
Anyways, I go inside, sit down with my family who is watching a movie and as soon as I sit, the scene on TV switched to a night scene and in the darkness let out the exact same hoot I heard outside!
My 3rd confirmation and in a way that left me with know doubt. How cool is that!
The mysteries of life.
James
Old 15-11-2010, 08:31 PM
eraser

That's nifty, James. And yes, life is indeed full of mysteries.
Old 18-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Erato

Mourning Dove

I believe my totem to be the mourning dove. It relates to the place I grew up and had my first childhood memories. Then they disappeared from my life. Not until I moved to my current place did they come back to me.
Their cooing comforts me and reminds me of home.

Here is the part of what I relate to in their symbolism:
The dove is a member of the pigeon family and both hold the qualities of home, security and maternal instincts. Many with this totem will experience unsettling childhood's and will be challenged continually to acquire a solid secure foundation in all areas of their lives.

The legends and lore surrounding the dove associates it with many goddesses and it is considered the embodiment of the maternal instinct. The brood of dove consists of two eggs. Two represents the creative and feminine energies. Home and family are important to those with this totem and life lessons will be most predominant in these areas.

Since the dove is a ground feeder and eats mostly seeds those with this totem would benefit from a diet rich in wholesome seeds, nuts and grains. They would also do well in any health profession relating to nutrition.

The dove's song is its most distinctive feature. It can be heard throughout the day. The mourning coo of the Dove reflects hidden emotions stored within those who carry this medicine. How you perceive its sound often reflects the energies that are playing out in your life.

When dove appears it is asking us to go within and release our emotional discord, be it of the past or the present. It assists us in releasing trauma stored within our cellular memory. Humming can aid in this release.

Doves hold the energy of promise. When inner turmoil is cleared from our thoughts, words and feelings, the possibility of good fortune awaits us. In order to receive the gifts the doves bestows on us healing on all levels is paramount.

Old 18-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erato
I believe my totem to be the mourning dove. It relates to the place I grew up and had my first childhood memories. Then they disappeared from my life. Not until I moved to my current place did they come back to me.
Their cooing comforts me and reminds me of home.

I’m kind of a bird nut and the cool thing, I think about mourning doves, is how they feed their young by regurgitating what is called ‘crop milk’.
The other cool thing is that the cooing sound they make is sometimes mistaken for my totem which is the Great Horned Owl.
Thanks for sharing…..they are an awesome peaceful bird.
James