Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 12-01-2020, 11:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadville

When phenomena are for the sake of witnessing/experiencing phenomena then it's phenomenalism and not Spiritualism.

Having personally observed awesome phenomenology at the foothills of the Himalayas, I have come to the conclusion that virtually anything is possible.

Phenomenology thereafter became relatively unimportant (at least to me ) from that point on. Sages in many traditions warn against seeking phenomenology as it can inflate the ego and thus become a serious obstacle to true spiritualism.

I've often wondered why Jesus performed so many "miracles" as happenings of that nature can easily draw the "circus crowd".
Old 12-01-2020, 11:46 PM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Having personally observed awesome phenomenology at the foothills of the Himalayas, I have come to the conclusion that virtually anything is possible.

Phenomenology thereafter became relatively unimportant (at least to me ) from that point on. Sages in many traditions warn against seeking phenomenology as it can inflate the ego and thus become a serious obstacle to true spiritualism.

I've often wondered why Jesus performed so many "miracles" as happenings of that nature can easily draw the "circus crowd".

Perhaps the Nazarene knew they would provide the means to reach the circus crowd that couldn't readily be reached any other way? And maybe there'd be some justification in doing similar in today's world - always assuming it's thought necessary or desirable to reach out to them for similar reasons to his last time here?
Old 13-01-2020, 02:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Perhaps the Nazarene knew they would provide the means to reach the circus crowd that couldn't readily be reached any other way? And maybe there'd be some justification in doing similar in today's world - always assuming it's thought necessary or desirable to reach out to them for similar reasons to his last time here?

Good point.

In reaching out to the "circus crowd" --- whether it is ego-based or purity-based --- it still serves a very worthwhile purpose. It could trigger reflection even by the "circus crowd" on how such things are possible ... and thus lead to meditation and realization .... at some point.
Old 13-01-2020, 02:55 PM
leadville

Quote:
Good point.

In reaching out to the "circus crowd" --- whether it is ego-based or purity-based --- it still serves a very worthwhile purpose. It could trigger reflection even by the "circus crowd" on how such things are possible ... and thus lead to meditation and realization .... at some point.

I don't 'do' Jesus but from what I've heard about that unique and exceptional individual I doubt his actions would ever stem from egotism.
Old 15-01-2020, 02:05 PM
Master
Quote:
I don't 'do' Jesus but from what I've heard about that unique and exceptional individual I doubt his actions would ever stem from egotism.

That is my understanding as well. I think that some of the stories, while most assuredly possible, have been embellished and that some of the quotes attributed to Jesus were not actually said by him (for example, Matthew 25:46 about eternal punishment).
Old 15-01-2020, 03:18 PM
leadville

Quote:
That is my understanding as well. I think that some of the stories, while most assuredly possible, have been embellished and that some of the quotes attributed to Jesus were not actually said by him (for example, Matthew 25:46 about eternal punishment).

Anyone who considers a book that's well over two thousand years old - with who-knows-how-many translations from one language to another - as being accurate to the original spoken word is a more trusting soul than I.
Old 16-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Anyone who considers a book that's well over two thousand years old - with who-knows-how-many translations from one language to another - as being accurate to the original spoken word is a more trusting soul than I.

We are in complete agreement on that point !

My position has always been that the Bible was written by men who were inspired to at least some degree but it is not clear how much of their own personal and cultural stuff got incorporated into their writing in addition to obvious issues related to translations, the passage of time, and creative editing.
Old 18-01-2020, 10:16 AM
Master
Another book is:

AFTER-DEATH COMMUNICATIONS
By L. MARGERY BAZETT

The PREFACE starts out:

"THIS short book contains the record of some of the communications received by me through automatic writing between the years 1916 and 1918.
Its chief recommendation to public notice lies in the fact that the accounts given are strictly accurate, and that the statements made by communicators have been carefully verified, wherever possible. Pseudonyms are used, and names of places have been altered, to prevent recognition; in some cases also the rank of officers has been changed, for the same reason.
Whether these communications can come under the heading of telepathy from the living, or whether, as the title suggests, they are partly due to telepathy from discarnate minds, is for the reader to decide."

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 18-01-2020, 10:19 AM
Master
Another book by L. Margery Bazett is

Psychical Investigations, Spiritualism its History, Phenomena and Doctrine, etc.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 18-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Another book is:

AFTER-DEATH COMMUNICATIONS
By L. MARGERY BAZETT

The PREFACE starts out:

"THIS short book contains the record of some of the communications received by me through automatic writing between the years 1916 and 1918.
Its chief recommendation to public notice lies in the fact that the accounts given are strictly accurate, and that the statements made by communicators have been carefully verified, wherever possible. Pseudonyms are used, and names of places have been altered, to prevent recognition; in some cases also the rank of officers has been changed, for the same reason.
Whether these communications can come under the heading of telepathy from the living, or whether, as the title suggests, they are partly due to telepathy from discarnate minds, is for the reader to decide."

Personally I would prefer that the accounts given in such books reveal at least the possibility of contact to the statement givers. Using pseudonyms and false place names are a certain way of assuring the communications being thrown into the waste paper basket by any serious reader.

And most books are just in this vein - worthless.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.