Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 16-05-2015, 09:37 PM
AshtKerr

New Taoist Reading List?

Hello, greetings to all,

My name is Ashton and I am a Taoist. I want to learn more about the religion by reading the source material. I own a Tao Te Ching and an I Ching and I've been reading through the Tao Te Ching slowly, reading a chapter at a time, pausing to reflect and them making notes in my journal.

I was looking through the Daozang but was overwhelmed by the mass of texts. My question is what should I read and in what order?

Blessings,
Ashton.
Old 19-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Ascender
If you want to read something more light I'd recommend the Tao of Pooh. I love that book.
Old 30-05-2015, 03:21 AM
TaoSandwich

Ashton,

Welcome! I would recommend the Zhuangzi/Chuang Tzu as one of the most pivotal texts, as well as Liu An's Huainanzi. The Hua Hu Ching is a book of unknown authorship which may or may not tickle your fancy. Taoism isn't a single "ism", it is a school of thought, but that which is closest to the origin of that school of thought are the writings of Laozi (Tao Te Ching) and Zhuangzi (The Zhuangzi). If you want a commentary to elucidate the sometimes daunting I Ching, Wilhelm's commentaries are EXTREMELY enlightening, as I have mentioned in another thread.

As you study, keep in mind that none of these authors have authority. My stance towards the readings is usually simply contemplative, neither agreeing nor disagreeing, just noting where these things may be true in life, but if your experience is different than that of an old master, do not hesitate to note this and observe further (but don't try too hard to refute. The tao isn't found in meaningless concept shuffling!). Happy journeying!

-TaoSandwich
Old 16-07-2015, 10:20 PM
clockworkskeleton

I would suggest a physical excerise as well as readings, something that gives you a physical high. I like weightlifting and hiking nature trails. In my experiance you want to be as balanced and strong as you can when in pursuit of the way. Also if you pray to the tiger he may answer your prayers with enlightenment. A tiger spirit is what first showed me the nature of the way and that experiance changed my life forever. The way is more beautiful then you could even imagine. I hope the best for you Tao faith and learning. Remember you are just as capable as anyone in history you only need to empower yourself.