Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 29-01-2012, 01:36 AM
Master
What really makes a person a Christian?

I just finished a book “Beyond Death’s Door” which was about clinical death and people’s experiences with what they believed was either heaven or hell before being resuscitated. I found it interesting that the medical author in the course of doing all his research for the book ended the book encouraging people to turn to Christianity and if they hadn’t already, to take the steps soon if not now. Of course he is apparently of the Christian persuasion and thus is biased. But really the book has little to do with my question that follows. It only drives it. I have pondered on the question…

What really makes a person a Christian?

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Master
If they say they are.

Xan

Old 29-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Hi Blackraven,

Constantine helped to put a definition on it by
assembling the Nicene Council in 325 AD.
So if you can believe the Nicene Creed they came up with - (You can google that and the Apostle's Creed) then to the "Church Fathers", bingo, you're a Christian.

According to them, anyway.

I'm Christian. (And Buddhist and Sikh and Hindu)
However, I don't believe much of the Nicene or Apostle's Creed - Ha!

"Christian", yet another label, imo. Another division.
Should be an interesting thread.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 29-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Royalite

It's really simple actually. Do you believe Jesus is the son of God? And if you do...voila!

I'm tempted to say, "look at a person's actions" and well...yes, do. But man is man is man and so the basis for the "faith" is belief that Jesus is the son of God.
Old 29-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
If they say they are.

Xan

Xan - He he, no dispute from me.

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Master
If a mother believes her child 'believes' in her is the same as if Jesus/God believes his child believes in him. Depending on many variables, the behavior will give appearance of the child's belief/faith in the mother/Jesus and then again, it may not that appearance (prodigal son?/lost sheep?). It's not up to us ~ who are we? What's it to us? Why is it any of our business to make that judgment call? The mother/Jesus is the one to 'know' the heart of the child.

Old 29-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Hi Blackraven,

Constantine helped to put a definition on it by
assembling the Nicene Council in 325 AD.
So if you can believe the Nicene Creed they came up with - (You can google that and the Apostle's Creed) then to the "Church Fathers", bingo, you're a Christian.

According to them, anyway.

I'm Christian. (And Buddhist and Sikh and Hindu)
However, I don't believe much of the Nicene or Apostle's Creed - Ha!

"Christian", yet another label, imo. Another division.
Should be an interesting thread.

MH - Thanks for your input. Ah yes, the Apostle's Creed. I was raised Catholic and know it quite well as we said it every Sunday in mass. I'm asking the question from a more general sense to see how people personally think what makes a person really a Christian. Do you have Catholic upbringing?

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinie
It's really simple actually. Do you believe Jesus is the son of God? And if you do...voila!

I'm tempted to say, "look at a person's actions" and well...yes, do. But man is man is man and so the basis for the "faith" is belief that Jesus is the son of God.

Prinie - Yes I agree with you...

It seems like a simple question, but really it’s not. I could say “Oh people who go to church that believe in Christ and that He died for our sins and was resurrected and ascended into heaven, are Christians,” but is belief enough? What about the man that goes to church on Sunday and beats his wife Monday through Saturday? Is he a Christian even though he believes in Christ?

And does one even have to attend an organized church at all to consider himself/herself a Christian? I think the answer is no. For example, someone could have an aversion to worshipping with other people in a public setting, for whatever reason, but prays at home in private. I would think he/she is just as much a Christian as one that attends church.

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
If a mother believes her child 'believes' in her is the same as if Jesus/God believes his child believes in him. Depending on many variables, the behavior will give appearance of the child's belief/faith in the mother/Jesus and then again, it may not that appearance (prodigal son?/lost sheep?). It's not up to us ~ who are we? What's it to us? Why is it any of our business to make that judgment call? The mother/Jesus is the one to 'know' the heart of the child.

SG - You speak beautiful words. I feel what you're saying here totally. Basically I think you're saying it's not for us to determine whether or not a fellow person is a Christian or not? Am I understanding you right?

Blackraven
Old 29-01-2012, 02:23 AM
Shabby

Well, I believe what makes someone a Christian is to believe that

1) Jesus was/is God
2) You are a sinner in need of a Savior
3) God raised Jesus from the dead and that Jesus paid the full penalty for your sins
4) You receive Jesus as you Savior

I also think that you have to go to church and become a member of that church and tithe with that church 10%.....and then you are a christian...and a sinner.

For me Christianity it so full of contradictions to what Jesus actually taught that I can't even outline Christianity without pointing out the obvious.