Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Old 17-03-2020, 05:10 PM
Knower
Color Electronic Music - Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Wendy Carlos, Steve Roach . . .

Just wondering if there are any fans of electronic music around. Trip-hops falls into this broad category yet with it's own sound and more associated with dance-able music (like EDM, or "electronic dance music").

Electronic music can be quite calming. It doesn't have to be for dance or to give one active energy. Ambient is a big sub-genre and it's meant to be background sound, when you want music but don't want natural sounds. Not all ambient is melodic, sometimes opting for 'noise' that can still be calming, depending on one's mood.

Sometimes the genre of electronic music is labeled "IDM" or "Intelligent Dance Music." I don't use that term because it sounds too snobbish. Electronic is for everyone, and you've probably heard plenty of it without knowing it. Think of some past movie soundtracks, such as "Blade Runner" or Michael Mann's "Thief" and you'll have heard two of the originators of electronic music, or that of Vangelis, and Tangerine Dream.

But modern electronic includes some amazing artists, too. I'll post one favorite here, and list some of the other ones I love which are worth looking up: Akoviani, Erik Wøllo, Richard Bone, Altus, Scott Lawlor, Ambient Temple of Imagination, HOME (Randy Goffe), cv313.

Here are some of the tags which come up on Bandcamp's pages of electronic artists. Think of them as sub-genres:
electronic - chillout - electropop - lounge - ambient - synth

And while I'm mentioning Bandcamp, here's their page for the 'electronic' tag. That should give y'all a better idea of the genre if you're unfamiliar with it.

Andy Pickford is one of my favorite electronic artists from the past twenty years or so (even though I've only heard his music in the last five years.)

Andy Pickford - North Eagle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uHgCTn0Dc

If anyone has any other favorites in this genre, please post them, because I know I haven't covered more than a taste of electronic.
Old 17-03-2020, 05:20 PM
Master
I'll follow if you don't mind
Old 18-03-2020, 04:51 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
I'll follow if you don't mind
Well, if you mean that you'll have a listen to any more I post, then I might as well do that now, and see if I can get others to join in

The ambient musician Steve Roach is one of my top favorites in that genre. He's been making electronic and ambient music since the early 1980s, and has done some fine works. He's worked with David Hudson (a master of the didgeridoo) for some of his compositions which are rather tribal in nature (such as "Artifacts" and "Origins").

Ambient can be repetitive, like the music of Philip Glass (known for his compositions in minimalism, and for soundtracks, such as for "Koyaanisqatsi"). This example of Roach is very much like minimalism, and yet was nominated for a Grammy as "Best New Age Album" (unfortunately, the Grammies don't have a category for electronic or ambient). It's almost twenty minutes long, but I do recommend at least trying it out. I find it mesmerizing and meditative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5X0qhQDgj0
Old 18-03-2020, 07:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjhan
Well, if you mean that you'll have a listen to any more I post, then I might as well do that now, and see if I can get others to join in

The ambient musician Steve Roach is one of my top favorites in that genre. He's been making electronic and ambient music since the early 1980s, and has done some fine works. He's worked with David Hudson (a master of the didgeridoo) for some of his compositions which are rather tribal in nature (such as "Artifacts" and "Origins").

Ambient can be repetitive, like the music of Philip Glass (known for his compositions in minimalism, and for soundtracks, such as for "Koyaanisqatsi"). This example of Roach is very much like minimalism, and yet was nominated for a Grammy as "Best New Age Album" (unfortunately, the Grammies don't have a category for electronic or ambient). It's almost twenty minutes long, but I do recommend at least trying it out. I find it mesmerizing and meditative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5X0qhQDgj0

I've just started listening now to the track posted. 6 mins in.
I've posted a few electronic tracks on SF over the past few weeks, been getting into it more, but don't know a lot, so hopefully they'll be more posts on this thread to expand my knowledge on it. I think they need a new category at the Grammies for sure.
Old 18-03-2020, 08:08 AM
Master
I liked it.

This is the latest one I posted:

Paul van Dyk & Armin van Buuren: The Angels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhHB...tart_radio =1

I like this guy too:

Nigel John Stanford - Sea of Tranquility

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJNmwhLBn74
Old 18-03-2020, 09:31 AM
Master
North Eagle is beautiful.
Old 18-03-2020, 02:27 PM
Master
Thanks for the links. I will check them out :)

I posted a Vangelis tune the other day: link
Old 18-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Knower
Here's another electronic artist (who is no longer alive, unfortunately) who was well-liked in the genre. This particular cut starts off kind of dance-style, but quickly switches to something more mellow and then again into something sounding more serious. His music is worth finding as it's still popular

Richard Burmer - Physics (Mosaic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-G7GZcuSTk
Old 18-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
I liked it.
This is the latest one I posted:

Paul van Dyk & Armin van Buuren: The Angels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhHB...tart_radio =1

I like this guy too:

Nigel John Stanford - Sea of Tranquility
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJNmwhLBn74

Hey Jo :)

I like the second one better, but I have heard of van Dyk. Stanford reminds me of other electronic musicians I enjoy, such as State Azure and this one, Jan Flaška, though he hasn't produced much for sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiCei5uy1DM
Old 18-03-2020, 11:35 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrandedSnowMonkey
Thanks for the links. I will check them out :)

I posted a Vangelis tune the other day: link
You're welcome, SSM :)

I don't remember that remix version, but artists do all sorts of remixes.

Here's one of my all-time favorite Vangelis tracks:

La petite fille de la mer - from the soundtrack for "L'apocalypse des Animaux"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6qoTPhhv9w