Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 10-10-2016, 02:09 PM
Master

I am the author of Linen's Gluten Free Neighborhood and Fed Up With Corn threads. I have celiac disease and in my several years experience under my belt I can tell you I had to be responsible for my health. My doctor and PA who also works in his office no nothing of celiac.

You need to take responsibility for yourself. No one else will. If you want to be Vegan, than be Vegan. I think it is a wonderful lifestyle and more importantly, it's your choice.

You need to educate yourself. Research, research, research.

I have an intolerance to corn as well and I can tell you corn is in literally everything here in the United States.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Master

Sorry I had company.

To continue, the beans, onions, eggs and dairy are especially difficult because like my gluten and corn they are in just about everything. I'd suggest you find a health food store to buy your food staples in. And yes, you may have to start cooking for yourself. I can only cook food in my own kitchen. Unless an item is on my "safe" list I simply won't eat it. And finding things to be on said "safe" list meant at one point I had to try it and see if I got sick. It's a slow process.

Going organic is a good idea. I don't take it to extremes but I do buy a lot of organic foods. Mainly because there are usually limited ingredients listed on the label and if there is something like citric acid (big food companies derive theirs from corn) it is usually from a safe source. Usually.

They have these wonderful induction cooking burners now that are safe for dorms because they will not get hot unless you have the right type of pot or pan on it and even then if you accidently put your hand on it the burner will remain cold to your touch.

Stirfries are a wonderful and healthy alternative and easy to put together. A crock pot is easy to because you can combine your ingredients and go to classes and come home in the evening and dinner is ready. And they are a safe alternative for the dorms also.

You can do this, but you might have to stop relying on someone else to take care of your meals.
Old 31-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Newbie ;)

I'm a newly converted Vegan; it's been about 3 months I believe.

Try Amy's Kitchen brand products. They're even in Walmart. They're a little pricey, but it's nice because it just needs to be microwaved. Those are my fall back foods when I'm feeling lazy.

Also, try a rice cooker. You can make rice, which is great for basically everything, but also steam vegetables in it. There's all kinds of new rice cookers that allow you to do so. My brother got one for Christmas and it fits all his dorm requirements and limitations.

Don't forget about raw eating. You don't always have to cook. Produce is super cheap, I can buy all my produce for two weeks, for less than $100. A lot of stuff is good by itself, uncooked. Some can even be cooked in the microwave, just poke holes in the skin. Obviously, not preferred method, but you gotta eat! :)

Nuts and seeds are also great. Salsa and chips rock! Super great snack!

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Hope this helped.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadsvy
I'm a newly converted Vegan; it's been about 3 months I believe.

Try Amy's Kitchen brand products. They're even in Walmart. They're a little pricey, but it's nice because it just needs to be microwaved. Those are my fall back foods when I'm feeling lazy.

Also, try a rice cooker. You can make rice, which is great for basically everything, but also steam vegetables in it. There's all kinds of new rice cookers that allow you to do so. My brother got one for Christmas and it fits all his dorm requirements and limitations.

Don't forget about raw eating. You don't always have to cook. Produce is super cheap, I can buy all my produce for two weeks, for less than $100. A lot of stuff is good by itself, uncooked. Some can even be cooked in the microwave, just poke holes in the skin. Obviously, not preferred method, but you gotta eat! :)

Nuts and seeds are also great. Salsa and chips rock! Super great snack!

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Hope this helped.

Good suggestions dreadsvy and welcome to The Club

There is a learning curve that you have to go through but it get's pretty easy in short order I think. I actually hate cooking so I've got my super easy favourites that make life a little simpler.

One that you might like to try is making mashed potatoes and seasoning them as follows: (you'll have to play around with the quantities)

touch of curry powder
black pepper
onion powder
salt to taste
dollop of Vegenaise

And after you mash all that up together, than add a cup of thawed but raw green peas and mix them all in. Yummy and you get some protein from the peas and the curry powder and pepper are excellent inflammation fighters when combined.

And one other thing, whenever I am 'meeting' new vegans, I'm making a point of reminding them/you to make sure you take your B12 supplement. If you don't, you'll start running out of your liver stores in about 6 years and before then you'll start feeling crummy. And if anybody says you can get it from mushrooms or spirulina or whatever else, don't believe it, just take a supplement for the sake of your health.

Good luck and have fun trying new and fabulous recipes! What a fabulous time to be making a choice for compassion eh? All kinds of support, millions of recipes, lots of information and even a fabulous replacement for ice cream bars nowadays that are delicious. May I recommend the Toffutti brand called Marry Me. Very yummy if you're having a chocolate craving.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:15 AM
Suspended
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadsvy
Try Amy's Kitchen brand products.

Yea I enjoy a lot of their stuff. :)
Old 16-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Guide

It's been a while since you posted so just wondering how you're getting on and if you found a solution to your dilemma? From what I've read on vegan and vegetarian forums (not this one) I've noticed an underlying assumption in many cases that one has to be vegan no matter what. I don't agree. Sometimes it just isn't practical to eat a certain way and in that situation all anyone can do is their best.

You're clearly young and it's important that you eat enough to build you up for later life. Obviously a vegan diet in itself is nourishment enough, but if you're allergic to beans and lentils it would be really hard for someone in your situation who can't cook for him/herself to get enough nutrition. Your health has to come first in these circumstances. A child living at home with parents who refuse to feed a vegan diet would result in the child having no choice or else starve, and it sounds to me like your circumstances aren't too dissimilar.

It's sad but once you leave school/home and make your own decisions you'll be able to eat whatever you want, at least allergy allowing. In the meantime consider your health and do your best.