Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 20-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Troll_ov_Grimness

Korean Shamanism

If there is already a discussion for this please feel free to point me to it
I'd post some films and youtube videos but I am a new member and can't do that right now. I have my own audio files that I've recorded on the subject and I give a good run over (I also steam roll over reiki) what Korean shamanism is.

I've read a lot about this..

Korean Shamanism -Muism by Dr. Kim Tae-kon translated by Dr. Chang Soo-kyung
Kut : Happiness Through Reciprocity by Hyun Key Kim-Hogarth

and some general books on shamanism I read which are important are,

The Sacred & The Profane by Mircea Eliade
Classic. All of you interested in spirituality and religion you must read this.

Occult Japan : Shinto, Shamanism, Or The Way Of The Gods by Percival Lowell
Shinto is not buddhism. It is a kind of spiritualism a lot like Korean shamanism. Very good book about how Shinto used to be like

The Catalpa Bow by Carmen Blacker
Shinto is in huge decline. This book was written in the 70s and the author was looking for Shinto rituals and traditions more like the ones Percival Lowell chronicled in his book. They no longer exist. I'm not sure if this is still true today but I heard that yeah unfortunately its been in huge decline. All the more reason that Korean shamanism is important.

My logic on steamrolling reiki :
1) Reiki comes from Shinto
2) Shinto is like Korean Shamanism (pretty much identical, save for very minor cultural differences)
3) The whole point of doing reiki is lack of access to authentic shinto
4) Korean shamanism is authentic Shinto
5) There is no point in pursuing reiki ; waste of time
Old 22-02-2012, 04:35 AM
Troll_ov_Grimness

AUDIO

My background history on how I found Korean shamanism and Reiki

Korean Shamanism & Solitary Reiki Attunement

Sample reading from Korean Shamanism -Muism by Dr. Kim Tae-kon , read by your's truly me

there's some ****ups in there but minor .

http://www.youtube.com/user/TrollOvGrimness
Check the favourites section for many interesting videos, films, music etc...
Also has 1 keynote presentation about Korean Shamanism and how to get into this. My 2nd audio file above elucidates more

TEMPLE OF THE VAMPIRE
CHURCH OF SATAN

SPIRITUALISTS' NATIONAL UNION
http://www.youtube.com/user/snuvideos
Old 22-02-2012, 05:35 AM
Animus27

Quote:
My logic on steamrolling reiki :
1) Reiki comes from Shinto
2) Shinto is like Korean Shamanism (pretty much identical, save for very minor cultural differences)
3) The whole point of doing reiki is lack of access to authentic shinto
4) Korean shamanism is authentic Shinto
5) There is no point in pursuing reiki ; waste of time
How are Shinto and Korean Shamanism the same? I am curious.

And how did you arrive at the conclusion that people practice Reiki because they lack access to authentic Shinto temples, or so on?
Old 23-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Troll_ov_Grimness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
How are Shinto and Korean Shamanism the same? I am curious.

And how did you arrive at the conclusion that people practice Reiki because they lack access to authentic Shinto temples, or so on?

Reiki is a form of spiritualism

There are minor differences between Korean Shamanism and Shinto. The art and mythology is completely different, but what the people actually do is the same. but I mean OLD shinto
late 19th century

I don't know what it is like today only that the influence of buddhism has been pervasive and the philosophy of spiritualism and buddhism are antithetical

I'm not sure what you need explanation on
this is not rocket science

Shinto and Korean shamanism are both forms of spiritualism

they're both doing and attempting to do the identical same thing

contact with spirits
Old 23-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll_ov_Grimness
Reiki is a form of spiritualism
Do you know that Spiritualism is a religion?

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...1/spiritualism

You might feel like they are similar, but it almost tends to be people from the outside labeling things, because of perceived similarities. Such generalization causes a misunderstanding of the cultural context.
Quote:
There are minor differences between Korean Shamanism and Shinto. The art and mythology is completely different, but what the people actually do is the same. but I mean OLD shinto
late 19th century
Then they are not the same are they? And you are aware of the fact that Buddhism and Shinto have been mixing and cross-pollinating for a good 1000 years?

Quote:
I don't know what it is like today only that the influence of buddhism has been pervasive and the philosophy of spiritualism and buddhism are antithetical
See above reply. Religious and cultural traditions that aren't 'revealed' like Abrahamic religions tend to have little problem coexisting with other philosophies. Just look at the attitudes many Chinese have towards the Traditional religion, and various strands of Mahayana.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you need explanation on
this is not rocket science

Shinto and Korean shamanism are both forms of spiritualism

they're both doing and attempting to do the identical same thing

contact with spirits
Are you aware of the differences (that is to say, anthropologically defined differences) between shamanic and shamanistic practices? Your assertion that they are both the same is likely to cause a misunderstanding of both traditions, since they have evolved in different regions and cultures and will naturally have a nuance that makes them very separate.
Old 24-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Troll_ov_Grimness

I'm not going to answer that because it is like communicating to a brick wall

I am attuned and when I read books I judge everything based on what my experience is. If it matches my experience I give it due credence. Call that myopic if you want.

I am deeply aware of the fact that what early Shinto pilgrims were attempting to achieve and what Korean Shamans do today is the same goal. They do the same practices ; ancestor worship . This ancestor worship brings the same results

As an empiricist I seek to know only practices which deliver results

you're scrutinizing it on a level of folklore and mythology which is frankly unimportant and I have already said that
Old 24-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll_ov_Grimness
I'm not going to answer that because it is like communicating to a brick wall

I am attuned and when I read books I judge everything based on what my experience is. If it matches my experience I give it due credence. Call that myopic if you want.

I am deeply aware of the fact that what early Shinto pilgrims were attempting to achieve and what Korean Shamans do today is the same goal. They do the same practices ; ancestor worship . This ancestor worship brings the same results

As an empiricist I seek to know only practices which deliver results

you're scrutinizing it on a level of folklore and mythology which is frankly unimportant and I have already said that
Well.... uh... Good luck with that? Just don't be surprised when someone tells you that you're misunderstanding their ancestral spirituality with your foreign worldview and reasoning.
Old 23-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Guide
I thought reiki has been around since the 20's? Ive never even heard of korean shamanism.
Old 23-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Troll_ov_Grimness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riboflavin
I thought reiki has been around since the 20's? Ive never even heard of korean shamanism.

Korea was known as the HERMIT KINGDOM for a reason

only very recently because of great pop music and great films have people woken up and noticed that they exist.

Japanese culture has been around in the West for a long time. As well as Chinese. Korea hasn't. There are some Korean restaurants in Montreal they're famous for bulgogi, kimchi, they have unique great food all their own, but few people have been to Korean restaurants there aren't many of them

Korean shamanism is literally -THE- indigenous spiritual culture of the nation of Korea. that it is.

My point is be thankful for that
Reiki is misappropriated shinto
it is little else than the laying on of hands
in upper ranks and higher degrees the spiritualism shows through
its because its taken after Shinto

likewise SHINTO is -THE- indigenous spiritual culture of the nation of Japan
before it was even a complete nation even I guess.

Buddhism is foreign to Japan

If you're going to ask questions I strongly encourage you to READ,
besides that you've never heard of it, or that you were not aware,
read and learn and make yourself aware
so that people can be educated and that the myth of reiki as some benign form of touchy love hands can give way to where these beliefs actually come from

there's more to it than that
and not all of what people experience in it is to be grateful for

[ENG SUB] GD & TOP - OH YEAH (FEAT PARK BOM 2NE1)
Old 24-02-2012, 10:24 PM
AngryDragonTears

Koreans proudly call themselves "fast followers" which simply means they copy stuff from everyone else and use it to their advantage... Not a bad plan if you ask me -_- Oh and they enjoy invoking the power of the holy spairet.