Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 25-02-2017, 07:07 PM
Pathfinder
Turmeric, Natures wonder drug

Turmeric is one of the few natural remedies that has been given actual medical testing and so far it has proven helpful in all conditions it has been tested for.
It improves cholesterol, regulates blood sugar and tones the nervous system.
Probably it's most beneficial use is as an anti oxident and anti irritant. Irritation is implicated in an amazing number of diseases including arthritis, carpel tunnel syndrome, joint problems, lower back pain and skin problems. The fresh root is available in many Asian markets and the powder is available in health stores and even grocery stores. The spice shelf in your grocery store is not the best place to buy it. It is expensive there and often adulterated but surprisingly cheap if you buy it in bulk. I can buy a whole pound for less than $20 if I buy in bulk. Normally however I use freshly grated root from my own garden.
A few people use it in tea but it is difficult to use it that way since, to get the full benefit, it must be taken with a small amount of fat and some freshly ground pepper. Both aid the body in absorbing the cucurmin (the active ingredient) If you want to try it that way I use coconut oil for the fat. It gives a pleasant coconut taste to the tea.
I get my daily dose by using it in my morning miso soup with coconut oil and fresh pepper. You can add it to any soup or stew. About a teaspoon daily is my usual dose.
It can also be mixed with skin lotion and applied externally but it is a dye and will turn skin yellow/orange wherever it is applied so it is best used as a spot application to eczema or a flaky spot on your skin..
As a matter of fact it will dye anything it touches so keep it off your good clothing. I wear a butchers apron when preparing it. I have a friend from India who is fond of joking, "It won't stain me. I'm Indian". It doesn't show on her darker skin.
No harmful side effects have ever been shown in its use.
One final word. It is a beautiful plant that can be grown wherever the ground doesn't freeze or as an indoor plant if you have a big pot and a sunny room. It does have a long dormant period (October to May in San Diego}. The leaves can be used for tea or as a wrap for fish Asian style. My rabbits come to the front of the cage to beg for it when they see me cutting fronds. The flower is breathtaking but only a clump which has been undisturbed for three years or more will normally flower. Do a search on turmeric if you want to see what the plant and flower look like.
Old 25-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Pathfinder
I forgot to mention Golden Milk which is a delicious way to get your daily dose and often used in India as a treat for the kids. It is made of warm whole milk with boiled turmeric and honey. Maple syrup is also good in place of honey. The whole milk gives the necessary fat content.
Rather than go into a lengthy recipe I refer you to YouTube which has an excellent video on preparing it.
Old 26-02-2017, 01:42 AM
Master
I add a small amount of powder to cups of tea so always get a daily dose
Old 17-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Seeker

My husband has been taking it for his Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, which made him loose his balance in a very serious way. He walked like he was drunk and it was getting worse and worse. Two teaspoonfuls of a turmeric mix which he made himself (with black pepper, ginger and oil) sorted him out so well that he can now even cycle again. After a few years of this he is now down to one teaspoonful, most of the time even less.
Mind you, when he took so much he did smell a bit in bed! It took me a while to work out what it was ....
Old 23-05-2017, 02:29 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodat
I forgot to mention Golden Milk which is a delicious way to get your daily dose and often used in India as a treat for the kids. It is made of warm whole milk with boiled turmeric and honey. Maple syrup is also good in place of honey. The whole milk gives the necessary fat content.
Rather than go into a lengthy recipe I refer you to YouTube which has an excellent video on preparing it.

the best way to consume is curcumin supplement with pipeline for greatest bioavailability
Old 24-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Seeker

I expect you mean piperine ...... ;-)
Old 24-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Gracey

I've been taking it in pill form for about two months now. I have severe arthritis in my neck, along with two slipped discs. My pain was debilitating. Since I have been taking turmeric with piperine, my pain is gone most days and on the days i do feel pain, i am still functional. I highly recommend this to anyone with joint pain. the only bad effect i have read about it is that is irritates acid reflux, other than the benefits of it are many.
Old 17-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Master
I have been taking turmeric for 2 weeks now for my arthritis and yeah, I'm noticing it irritating my stomach lining with gay abandon....don't know what's worse now, my arthritic pain or my gastritic pain.

I also notice it heating up my system to the point it feels like I am burning from the inside-out.

I'm taking it in tablet form with boswellia and black pepper...I have tried golden milk too, but I can't get it past my nose.
Old 20-07-2017, 10:42 AM
WELL! I am a believer after 3 days of following this video on
Golden Milk...which has black pepper, cinnamon, ginger and coconut oil...
I guess all of them boost the turmeric effect ...the fat being a big plus in it's working so well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUdR...ature=youtu.be

PS...I do not strain anything and just put ground pepper in the turmeric paste....simple is better; what's wrong with having ginger to chew on from your cup...with the cinnamon it's like a pumpkin pie tea to me, yum.

What a difference...even in mental clarity and stamina...I'm hooked.

Necro...if you are taking turmeric capsules...be sure it is with food then.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 20-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
WELL! I am a believer after 3 days of following this video on
Golden Milk...which has black pepper, cinnamon, ginger and coconut oil...
I guess all of them boost the turmeric effect ...the fat being a big plus in it's working so well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUdR...ature=youtu.be

PS...I do not strain anything and just put ground pepper in the turmeric paste....simple is better; what's wrong with having ginger to chew on from your cup...with the cinnamon it's like a pumpkin pie tea to me, yum.

What a difference...even in mental clarity and stamina...I'm hooked.

Necro...if you are taking turmeric capsules...be sure it is with food then.
Thanks and yeah, I really should stop taking processed curcumin and powdered golden milk from the pharmacy and make my own as you do...and as I used to about 30 years ago.

Another thing I have been getting into lately is pineapple and tamarind.

You wait, tamarind is going to be the next 'nature's wonder drug' that does the rounds...*goes and looks for my old Rasam recipe*

This is close enough:
http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/eas...rasam-recipes/

Take a bowl of this a day and it will cure everything!

It has Turmeric, Black Pepper, Asofetida, Garlic, Tamarind, Ginger, Mustard Oil, Coriander & Chilies.

A soup made from all of that and it tastes scrumptious!