Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Ayurveda

Old 21-03-2013, 04:46 AM
Sonia84

How is it different from modern medicine ?

Can anybody tell me how Ayurveda is different from modern medicine?
Old 28-06-2014, 02:42 PM
pathfinder

There are several REALLY good articles on Ayurveda on this site http://powerof3info.fatcow.com/ I understand it for the first time ever- so much of what is out there is confusing, but this sorted it out for me. It deals with Individual dietary needs - not one size fits all.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:51 AM
Pathfinder
There's a lot of differences in its theory an philosophy, but I think the biggest one is that Ayurveda is a primarily preventative medicine, whereas western modern medicine is focused on curing diseases that have already manifested. Or, to say it another way, if your health is a house, Ayurveda is the homeowner/architect that lays a strong foundation and methodically building the house with quality materials and with consideration of its environment, then doing regular maintenance that increases its re-sale value and longevity. Whereas, in that scenario, western medicine is the repairman that fixes the leaky pipes and broken windows as they happen.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotharmless
Whereas, in that scenario, western medicine is the repairman that fixes the leaky pipes and broken windows as they happen.

I LOVED that description! Thank you, thisisnotharmless. That is very true.

I think the philosophy of western modern medicine and Ayurveda are very different (completely opposite, one could say): Ayurveda is about supporting health and preventing illness, whereas modern medicine simply exists to "fix" disease that has manifested.

The other major differences come out of that central difference - in Ayurveda, health is personal, and the value of something to the body (helpful or harmful) can change, whereas in western modern medicine, we tend to always think of some foods as "good" and some as "bad" for a person. No food is "healthy" or "unhealthy" in Ayurveda; it depends on the constitution of the person and their personal needs at that time as to whether something is "bad" or "good" for them.

There are lots of differences, but I think one can sum them up in that Ayurveda is about support, not prevention; and it doesn't buy into "bad" and "good".

Hope that helps!
Katheryn
Old 01-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Prasant K

Traditional medicine is about cause and effect. You have an illness, it is caused by something and a doctor will prescribe you a medicine to combat that. A lot of times, these medicines can have side effects that can lead to something else entirely. And sometimes, they are just short term cures with the problems recurring.
Ayurveda on the other hand is about restoring the balance between the body, mind and soul. Ayurveda uses various preventive and healing therapies and methods of purification and rejuvenation. Ayurveda helps achieve longevity by promoting a proper diet, living habits and exercise, to prevent diseases and maintain health.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Guide
Western and Ayurvedic approaches to the psychological medical field is worth looking at. I don't know about you all, but it sure seems to me like people on western psychological medications are left worse off in the end. Western psychological meds literally alter the mind by numbing it to the point that rationality is completely off balance. While the aruvedic approach may not be as strong in its effect (debatable), at least they don't have a risk of suicide or other irrational act associated with them. Not to mention people become addicted to western psychological meds and need to be carefully monitored while coming off or even while on it. Not to mention the over prescribing of psyc drugs, leaving people in worse shape then they could have been if they weren't so quick to get that prescription
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb.". - Pink Floyd

You'll find me here, in the back seat, just taking it all in
Old 03-07-2018, 06:20 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia84
Can anybody tell me how Ayurveda is different from modern medicine?
Principle: do no harm.