Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 23-01-2019, 01:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I was recently introduced to Edward Selim Michael by a very spiritually-insightful Jewish woman who has hosted Quaker and Buddhist groups for as long as I have known her. I recently finished reading Michael's book, "The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance". He clearly states that the aim of the book is "direct inner experience" and that is what attracted me to him. My own spiritual mentor of over 30 years once said, "Question everything, even what I say... and, if a teacher can't point you to the direct experiences, then go elsewhere". Edward Selim Michael seems to be such a being who points one to the direct inner experiences. I just ordered another one of Michael's books, "Obstacles to Enlightenment and Liberation", because he warns against getting into comfortable, familiar ruts and I plan to use his book as a checklist to see what tendencies I may have that could be holding me back. Michael seems to be a man who has been there and not just some one pontificating grand theories and quoting the masters but one who speaks from direct inner experiences.

I wasn't sure where to post this topic and almost put it in the Buddhism section because "It was to Buddhism that he felt closest, but as his teaching was based on his direct experience, he did not hesitate to quote Christian, Hindu, or Sufi mystics." This seemed to be the most appropriate section for posting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Salim_Michael

To get the discussion going, I will include without comment a few quotes from his book, "The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance". (Note that I have replaced the masculine word "he" in the quotes by "one".)

1. "The aim of this book is to help seekers arrive at recognizing, through direct inner experience, their higher nature and the after-death state, the state from which they originated and to which they will return on leaving this form of existence."

2. "Without perhaps realizing it, one will then start to sleep inwardly again, thinking that one is still working by being merely satisfied with the intellectual knowledge and memory of certain limited spiritual experiences one may have had in the past."

3. "If, during meditation, this luminous expanse of consciousness becomes adulterated and diluted in the slightest degree with one's habitual state, it will then inevitably cease to be Truth."

4. "It will be readily evident to one who has practiced meditation seriously and has had enlightenment that what was right and necessary at the beginning of one's quest will no longer be right or practical later".

Reading through your sharing, everything within my own direct experience thus far, feels a deep resonation to what your pointing too,in your post. I am also aware that in each moment letting go of everything you experience of those direct experiences, opens you to the continuum of you and life as an ongoing aware process without attachment to what has been and what is unfolding within the whole aware integration it becomes ongoing. The direct nature of all life will then flow through you without “you” in the way. In this way the fullness of each experience can be sourced more truthfully through your own being, rather than what is pointed too.

I’m around a lot of people from all walks of life who are very educated, aware, intelligent people who understand d the spiritual nature of life and themselves.I am often aware through my own direct experience, how they often neglect this integration more deeply in this way. I feel that when your open in yourself more directly without you in the way, it becomes most obvious where they miss these vital aspects of self realisation as a totality of mind/body integration.
Old 23-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
Reading through your sharing, everything within my own direct experience thus far, feels a deep resonation to what your pointing too,in your post. I am also aware that in each moment letting go of everything you experience of those direct experiences, opens you to the continuum of you and life as an ongoing aware process without attachment to what has been and what is unfolding within the whole aware integration it becomes ongoing. The direct nature of all life will then flow through you without “you” in the way. In this way the fullness of each experience can be sourced more truthfully through your own being, rather than what is pointed too.

I’m around a lot of people from all walks of life who are very educated, aware, intelligent people who understand d the spiritual nature of life and themselves.I am often aware through my own direct experience, how they often neglect this integration more deeply in this way. I feel that when your open in yourself more directly without you in the way, it becomes most obvious where they miss these vital aspects of self realisation as a totality of mind/body integration.

Your user name alone suggests that you may indeed have "got it" (so to speak) and your words are very refreshing to hear.

Particularly resonant were your words: "I am also aware that in each moment letting go of everything you experience of those direct experiences, opens you to the continuum of you and life as an ongoing aware process without attachment to what has been and what is unfolding within the whole aware integration it becomes ongoing." Despite the greatest direct experiences, they can indeed hold us back into spiritual complacency if we don't let go the attachment to them and "just be" as your user name suggests.

Right now, I am reading a second book by Edward Selim Michael, "Obstacles to Enlightenment and Liberation". I am using it as a checklist to identify any attachments and "spiritual ruts" into which I may inadvertently fallen and which may be holding me back. It's an eye-opener particularly in areas of the intellect which was one of my major obstacles in the past (and may still be to a lesser extent even now) and which took a lot of effort by my spiritual mentor to shake me out of that "rut".

I agree completely with your statement about how important it is to "open in yourself more directly without you in the way". The "you in the way" is a big part of the problem for most of us and that little separatist "you" is indeed very insidious.

Thanks for sharing. I LOVED your post !
Old 23-01-2019, 12:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
"Meditation is an important part of one's spiritual practice (sadhana) as one learns to 'be still and know'. Contrary to popular belief, meditation can be done at anytime, and anywhere, as one advances their practice."

- Ramana Maharsi

I think you may have misunderstood Ramana: sitting practice is not for the merest of spiritual novices; to say so suggests ironic arrogance - novice, merest - such lowly words.

Ramana meant that meditation does not only have to be in one position or other - having said that sitting is the strongest of positions for most of the Sages and Ramana was/is no different.

http://realizedone.com/post/setting-...-only-for-the/

You are entitled to your interpretation of Ramana Maharshi. I see that you have read his talks and you will notice that he responds differently to the same question posed by people of varying degrees of spiritual at-one-ment.

Ramana is one of my favorites but he can be a little difficult to read at times because he does answer similar questions very differently depending on the questioner.

Your words --- "to say so suggests ironic arrogance - novice, merest - such lowly words" --- suggest something about you.
Old 23-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Talk 68

What is the difference between meditation and distraction?

Sri Ramana: No difference. When there are thoughts, it is distraction: when there are no thoughts, it is meditation. However, meditation is only practice (as distinguished from the real state of Peace.)

Devotee: How to practice meditation?

Sri Ramana: Keep off thoughts.

Devotee: How to reconcile work with meditation?

Sri Ramana: Who is the worker? Let him who works ask the question. You are always the Self. You are not the mind. It is the mind which raises these questions. Work proceeds, always in the presence of the Self only. Work is no hindrance to realisation. It is the mistaken identity of the worker that troubles one. Get rid of the false identity.

Talk 294

Mr. Parkhi: How is meditation to be practised?

Sri Ramana: Meditation is, truly speaking, Atmanishtha (to be fixed as the Self). But when thoughts cross the mind and an effort is made to eliminate them the effort is usually termed meditation. Atmanishtha is your real nature. Remain as you are. That is the aim.

D.: But thoughts come up. Is our effort meant to eliminate thoughts only?

Sri Ramana: Yes. Meditation being on a single thought, the other thoughts are kept away. Meditation is only negative in effect inasmuch as thoughts are kept away.

D.: It is said Atma samstham manah krtva (fixing the mind in the Self). But the Self is unthinkable.

Sri Ramana: Why do you wish to meditate at all? Because you wish to do so you are told Atma samstham manah krtva (fixing the mind in the Self); why do you not remain as you are without meditating? What is that manah (mind)? When all thoughts are eliminated it becomes Atma samstha (fixed in the Self).

D.: If a form is given I can meditate on it and other thoughts are eliminated. But the Self is formless.

Sri Ramana: Meditation on forms or concrete objects is said to be dhyana, whereas the enquiry into the Self is vichara (enquiry) or nididhyasana.

Explaining adhyaropapavadabhyam (superimposition and its elimination), Sri Bhagavan pointed out that the first turns you inward to the Self; and then according to the second, you know that the world is not apart from the Self.

Those are very insightful talks which you quoted and well worth repeating in their entirety.

The questions posed, however, do provide insight into the level of the questioner and Ramana's responses, as usual, are quite appropriate.

Thanks for sharing those gems of wisdom. As I've said before, Ramana is one of my favorites and the book "Talks" rests on the table by my bed for quick and easy reference.
Old 24-01-2019, 04:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Your user name alone suggests that you may indeed have "got it" (so to speak) and your words are very refreshing to hear.

Particularly resonant were your words: "I am also aware that in each moment letting go of everything you experience of those direct experiences, opens you to the continuum of you and life as an ongoing aware process without attachment to what has been and what is unfolding within the whole aware integration it becomes ongoing." Despite the greatest direct experiences, they can indeed hold us back into spiritual complacency if we don't let go the attachment to them and "just be" as your user name suggests.

Right now, I am reading a second book by Edward Selim Michael, "Obstacles to Enlightenment and Liberation". I am using it as a checklist to identify any attachments and "spiritual ruts" into which I may inadvertently fallen and which may be holding me back. It's an eye-opener particularly in areas of the intellect which was one of my major obstacles in the past (and may still be to a lesser extent even now) and which took a lot of effort by my spiritual mentor to shake me out of that "rut".

I agree completely with your statement about how important it is to "open in yourself more directly without you in the way". The "you in the way" is a big part of the problem for most of us and that little separatist "you" is indeed very insidious.

Thanks for sharing. I LOVED your post !

Your welcome. Your obviously very much in the awareness of yourself with positive support. I’m noticing more so now I feel more clear, those around me still in process that speak of the spiritual journey within themselves, are easily felt by me in my clarity of being. I’m often triggered but instead of now reacting, I give them back the clarity. Often it’s those more subtle layers in people, where they project their reactions, unaware I feel them unclear in my clarity in feeling. As a predominate feeler/intuitive processor it can be like feeling an onslaught of reaction, coming in at you, where people are trapping themselves/ hiding from themselves, rather than dropping into their being and finding clarity, beyond reactions. In the end it all serves my deeper integration where I get to witness my mind/body connections to those sources. I am able to see my own cut off markers as a child, where I lost connection to my own source within. (Perceived and lost through my feeling mode) In being able to let go deep in my being, I find those low points no longer take over. The balance in me seperating the other into a deeper awareness of union in myself.

The book sounds wonderful. It really sounds like a great source to deepen your own balance and reactions.
Old 24-01-2019, 04:44 AM
janielee

Quote:
http://realizedone.com/post/setting-...-only-for-the/

You are entitled to your interpretation of Ramana Maharshi. I see that you have read his talks and you will notice that he responds differently to the same question posed by people of varying degrees of spiritual at-one-ment.

Ramana is one of my favorites but he can be a little difficult to read at times because he does answer similar questions very differently depending on the questioner.

Your words --- "to say so suggests ironic arrogance - novice, merest - such lowly words" --- suggest something about you.

And yet you seem to believe you have the "advanced" version and the arrogance part is indeed meant for you.

Sitting in meditation like Buddha etc is just sitting. So is walking. So is Life. Ramana simply indicates that those who practice long realize it is not just in sitting, and that is the "twist" to his words. However, you seem to have taken that literally, and cast all other versions as the understanding of the un-enlightened.

Sitting practice is almost part and parcel of nearly all Sage's activities. When One is unadulteratedly Awakened perhaps you can come down from the strength of that POSITION.

Arrogance right there. And if you'd like I'm happy to share it with you, but it doesn't detract from an inaccurate portrayal of Ramana's words on the topic.

Namaste.
Old 24-01-2019, 04:46 AM
janielee

Quote:
Those are very insightful talks which you quoted and well worth repeating in their entirety.

The questions posed, however, do provide insight into the level of the questioner and Ramana's responses, as usual, are quite appropriate.

Thanks for sharing those gems of wisdom. As I've said before, Ramana is one of my favorites and the book "Talks" rests on the table by my bed for quick and easy reference.

I enjoy the writings and insights and perspectives of many Saints.

Bless.
Old 24-01-2019, 02:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
Your welcome. Your obviously very much in the awareness of yourself with positive support. I’m noticing more so now I feel more clear, those around me still in process that speak of the spiritual journey within themselves, are easily felt by me in my clarity of being. I’m often triggered but instead of now reacting, I give them back the clarity. Often it’s those more subtle layers in people, where they project their reactions, unaware I feel them unclear in my clarity in feeling. As a predominate feeler/intuitive processor it can be like feeling an onslaught of reaction, coming in at you, where people are trapping themselves/ hiding from themselves, rather than dropping into their being and finding clarity, beyond reactions. In the end it all serves my deeper integration where I get to witness my mind/body connections to those sources. I am able to see my own cut off markers as a child, where I lost connection to my own source within. (Perceived and lost through my feeling mode) In being able to let go deep in my being, I find those low points no longer take over. The balance in me seperating the other into a deeper awareness of union in myself.

The book sounds wonderful. It really sounds like a great source to deepen your own balance and reactions.

It's interesting that you should mention that you are an "feeler/intuitive" processor. When I was a corporate VP in trading systems at Merrill Lynch, all of the technical VPs in Capital Markets were required to take the Meyer-Briggs Psychology seminar. I was the only VP (other than Human Resources) who tested as "feeling" and virtually the only one who tested as "intuitive". When one connects to the "source within", one attunes to that sublime intuition, clarity of mind, and understanding of others. It's a different sublime aspect that lies hidden in everyone but which is normally obscured by the ordinary, habitual, conditioned lack of pure clarity. It is also characterized by an enduring PEACE regardless of what is happening around.

I once got caught in riots in India at, of all things, a spiritual event (Khumba Mela). The naked babas were storming the acharya's palace where I was with some of my colleagues. My spiritual mentor remained totally calm despite all the chaos and told us to "Sit. Meditate. You're safe". Even though the palace guards were holding the doors shut against the onslaught less than 15 feet from where we were sitting, we were surprisingly calm and sat there as if we were watching an Indian Jones movie. Needless to say, we were safe but, that evening, there were 35,000 Indian troops in the city (Haridwar) imposing curfew. I'll never forget my teacher's calmness and clarity of mind during that potentially dangerous situation and how calm we remained after her calming influence. (When we left the palace after the incident subsided, it looked like a war zone outside with burned ashrams, overturned vehicles, deaths, and so on.... but ... we were safe.)

When one is balanced and attuned to the "source within" , there emerges a strange power from within that guides us unerringly in the best interests of all with no expectation of a return. That "surrender" is how I try to lead my life as best as possible. It works far better than relying on my limited, separatist, self-created ego.

Thanks again for your most welcome post.
Old 24-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Master
Quote:
I enjoy the writings and insights and perspectives of many Saints.

Bless.

So do I.

Bless !