Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 18-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Lepus

Question Sigils vs Symbols

Hello,

I came across a video of two witches discussing about sigils and symbols and their differences, but some of of them believe sigils and symbols to be similar as the other didn't and view them differently.

How do you view both sigils and symbols? Are they similar to you or different?

Here are some examples of both sigils and symbols:

Sigils

Symbols

Quills Quiver

Last edited by Clover : 19-02-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 27-02-2016, 03:57 AM
Master

I just noticed this post now. To put it very simply symbols represent something and sigils are thought to have the power in them to do something such as draw something to the practitioner.
Old 27-02-2016, 04:35 AM
Lepus

Hello Jenny Crow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
I just noticed this post now. To put it very simply symbols represent something and sigils are thought to have the power in them to do something such as draw something to the practitioner.

Symbols usually is an iconic representation intended to represent a specific religion, or a specific concept within a given religion. Sigils, like you mentioned, are thought to have powers in them (protection, money, love, banishing) allowing the practitioner to manifest his or her desired goal.

Now, my question is - do symbols that represent a specific religion be used in a Sigil? If so, how does a symbol not have magickal properties? If they have magickal properties, why do you think a Symbol differentiate from a Sigil?

Lepus
Old 29-02-2016, 04:06 AM
Master

I think what I said before is a bit too simplistic. I think symbols can actually represent anything - a business, an idea and so forth.

A sigil is a symbol that's used in magic. A sigil is a symbol that represents a specific goal, desire or ambition that you'd like to bring into your physical life. I don't believe that a symbol or a sigil has magical properties in itself - the sigil works on the unconscious to bring about certain changes.
Old 29-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Lepus

Hello Jenny Crow,

Quote:
I think what I said before is a bit too simplistic. I think symbols can actually represent anything - a business, an idea and so forth.

A sigil is a symbol that's used in magic. A sigil is a symbol that represents a specific goal, desire or ambition that you'd like to bring into your physical life. I don't believe that a symbol or a sigil has magical properties in itself - the sigil works on the unconscious to bring about certain changes.

Say, I would like to work on a prosperity spell for money. I would use a green candle (good fortune, money, abundance, prosperity) carve symbols associated with money, apply oils for max potential, and light the candle on a specific day of the week (Thursday) in a Waxing Moon. But, you would have to visualize for the spell to work, correct?

Is this how similar Sigils are? You apply Symbols (creating a Sigil) that associate with any of the practitioners desire, but it is your unconscious that does everything?

Lepus
Old 01-03-2016, 04:48 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus
Hello Jenny Crow,
Say, I would like to work on a prosperity spell for money. I would use a green candle (good fortune, money, abundance, prosperity) carve symbols associated with money, apply oils for max potential, and light the candle on a specific day of the week (Thursday) in a Waxing Moon. But, you would have to visualize for the spell to work, correct?

Is this how similar Sigils are? You apply Symbols (creating a Sigil) that associate with any of the practitioners desire, but it is your unconscious that does everything?
Lepus

That sounds like a good spell and yes, you would have to visualize but also without your WILL nothing too much will happen.

I guess that's how sigils are. In all my years of practicing I've not worked with sigils though, I prefer folk magic and Hoodoo - I guess because that's what has worked for me in the past. Candle magic is one of my favourite ways of doing magic.

Don't forget to work the spell on a waxing moon - good luck with it.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Lepus

Hello Jenny Crow,

Quote:
That sounds like a good spell and yes, you would have to visualize but also without your WILL nothing too much will happen.

I guess that's how sigils are. In all my years of practicing I've not worked with sigils though, I prefer folk magic and Hoodoo - I guess because that's what has worked for me in the past. Candle magic is one of my favourite ways of doing magic.

Don't forget to work the spell on a waxing moon - good luck with it.

Thank you. I'm going to further look into this topic and how to create my own Sigils.

Lepus