Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Altair Altair is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,183
  Altair's Avatar
@SOL: many teen girls listen to this or that, but it's always been that way. And why care about teenagers? You don't have a teenage daughter do you?!

I'm not offended by the way. I can enjoy many different genres so I can easily understand it can mean something for people. Just because I don't like artist X doesn't mean said artist is bad, only that I don't like him/her! If a song makes you happy or sad it does so for a reason.. it allows for self reflection. All genres can do that to people. Maybe not for you but it may for someone else.

@Gem: You respond to my post but most of it was not even directed at you. I quoted you separately. You happened to post just before me which I didn't know so I responded to SOL immediately without quoting his comment.

And sure the song by G&R will be known for longer and remembered more, but you can't change the fact that some people will really like the makeover. As for Blah Blah (link maybe?) and other terrible songs.. sure, I won't defend poor music by itself, but nor can you claim that your music taste is any better than other people's tastes. It's just your taste. Dance songs aren't extraordinary works of art, I agree, but they still have their place.. and in a certain context they can be great. This is all about subjectivity and context..

This thread is like... ''I like blue more than green.. it's so much more sophisticated, and I'm right about it!''
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Gem Gem is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,969
  Gem's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
^ No need to feel so offended there, I'm actually only refering to modern pop music. I'm aware that 80s pop music at least had some class and it's fans were/are somewhat more sophisticated. But it's true that most modern pop music fans tend to be angsty teen girls with an identity crisis who feel the need to 'fit' with the herd rather than developing their own unique taste. But that's the whole point of pop music; mind control. Hypnotising people with subliminal messages. Mind you, I look down on such things and won't hesitate to speak my mind of it.




Not really. There has been dishonest vacuous music throughout rock's history. The industry has always had talentless dolts working to a pop formula producing banal trinkets that people 'like'. It's only a 'like' - just as when I post on facebook, 'I got a new haircut today,' and get 20 odd 'likes'. It doesn't mean anything.


Lets try to remember some utter 80's trash. First springs to mind "Da Da Da" by Trio. And what about Achy Breaky Heart? (I guess that one has a little something). How about Ice Ice Baby? What about Milli Vanilli!?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Gem Gem is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,969
  Gem's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
@SOL: many teen girls listen to this or that, but it's always been that way. And why care about teenagers? You don't have a teenage daughter do you?!

I'm not offended by the way. I can enjoy many different genres so I can easily understand it can mean something for people. Just because I don't like artist X doesn't mean said artist is bad, only that I don't like him/her! If a song makes you happy or sad it does so for a reason.. it allows for self reflection. All genres can do that to people. Maybe not for you but it may for someone else.

@Gem: You respond to my post but most of it was not even directed at you. I quoted you separately. You happened to post just before me which I didn't know so I responded to SOL immediately without quoting his comment.

And sure the song by G&R will be known for longer and remembered more, but you can't change the fact that some people will really like the makeover. As for Blah Blah (link maybe?) and other terrible songs.. sure, I won't defend poor music by itself, but nor can you claim that your music taste is any better than other people's tastes. It's just your taste. Dance songs aren't extraordinary works of art, I agree, but they still have their place.. and in a certain context they can be great. This is all about subjectivity and context..

This thread is like... ''I like blue more than green.. it's so much more sophisticated, and I'm right about it!''




The thread is about sublime aesthetics and it's relationship to virtue, truth, honesty, self revelation... beauty.


To you it's just 'likes', but I discuss higher principles such as like dedication, respect, love, courage, integrity, appreciation... I think a words search of these pages will show my mention of these.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:27 AM
Gem Gem is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,969
  Gem's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Wow.. what a lot of generalizations. Pop music is incredibly diverse.. to say it's all sexual perversive and bad is just plain wrong. There's some music I don't like at all, for instance Ed Sheeran, but it's just a reflection of my likes and dislikes, it doesn't mean said artist is 'bad'...

As for metal.. I don't like it at all, but each to their own. I won't let my taste in music devalue other people's tastes. People find music inspiring and uplifting, regardless of the genre. You're not 'cool' or 'sophisticated' by liking an alternative genre and bashing a popular genre. It comes across as immature. You're not any more special than anybody else.. Music taste is an entirely subjective matter. Maybe that pop song you dislike means something for someone else. Maybe it reminds them of a happy moment, a lost loved one, or maybe they just like the rhythm or artist. Other people choose to associate certain genres with certain people they dislike, which is an act of self defeat! We all have our experiences, our moments of happiness, sadness, energetic moods and we seek music that embraces our feelings in the moment..


So now the question is.. what are you going to do about it?




I can't think of any EDM I could present as good music, but I did make post which included a 2018 Black Eyed Peas song which I complimented and adulated (even though I don't like the genre) so as to demonstrate the difference between a good song which can be appreciated and an inanity as Blah Blah Blah.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Altair Altair is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,183
  Altair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The thread is about sublime aesthetics and it's relationship to virtue, truth, honesty, self revelation... beauty.


To you it's just 'likes', but I discuss higher principles such as like dedication, respect, love, courage, integrity, appreciation... I think a words search of these pages will show my mention of these.
Nope.. I'm actually following you just fine.. Some music is 'higher' but that moment, context cannot be replicated at every moment, nor is it practical. I'm less likely to listen to 'higher principles' while at the gym, compared to say when I'm driving on a highway or doing yoga. I'm just saying it's about context and variety..

As for the Blah Blah, was it really the song Astro posted?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-11-2018, 11:07 AM
Gem Gem is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,969
  Gem's Avatar
This!



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9AbuFhT0W4
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Gem Gem is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,969
  Gem's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Nope.. I'm actually following you just fine.. Some music is 'higher' but that moment, context cannot be replicated at every moment, nor is it practical. I'm less likely to listen to 'higher principles' while at the gym, compared to say when I'm driving on a highway or doing yoga. I'm just saying it's about context and variety..

As for the Blah Blah, was it really the song Astro posted?




I mentioned Blah Blah Blah (wrote out all 10 words of the lyrics) in the OP, Then was it Astro who provided a link in the second post?


You would never listen to Blah Blah Blah for a yoga track because you know it's atrocious and yoga is deep. Even people who 'like' it know it's mindless nonsense. However, because it's dominant on the airwaves, in gyms and so on, as part of media fakery promoting junk trinkets for sale, we are brainwashed into thinking that it is acceptable, and furthermore, popular - we should like it. But really, no one does, so they don't really listen to it at all - not like people listen to Sheeran. Our social standards are such that the lack of integrity doesn't matter because the general population want to get 'likes' for our fakery social facebook/IG lives in exactly the same way: by being trivial, shallow, deceptive, when we know the truth ain't gunna fly. The irony is, it's actually made important because every employer, every girl I express interest and so on, will check out all my social media nonsense and 'rate' me accordingly... 'like'? It's all a facade, you know, but people live as if it's authentic - though they know full well it isn't. That is what 'Blah Blah Blah' represents as the culture producing art. It poses as a protest song, but is really shallow conformity.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Altair Altair is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,183
  Altair's Avatar
I agree itís a really bad song.. but I donít think anyone would claim that itís a form of high culture. Now I wouldnít even like that in the gym (heard it a few times) but yeah.. other people, other tastes.. best enjoy your taste and stop caring how other people miss out and like **** music..
I donít think your gym is going to change that, they go with whatís popular and what gives people energy in a physical setting. Maybe if you ask them kindly or start a petition.. maybe it helps..
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Astro Astro is offline
Suspended
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Earth, from Beta Centauri
Posts: 2,089
  Astro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yea, most dance music is infantile nonsense with less appreciable content than a nursery rhyme, and when it dominates the social space, no one listens to it anyway, but there is an abundance of excellent music which could be used instead.



One of the tricks being used by unethical producers who don't care about truth, virtue and honest expression is they take a song from the past that has earned fame through brilliance, and produce a cheap knock off which desecrates all that is good. For example, Guns and Roses 'Sweet Child of Mine' was was fundamentally great! Good composition. Excellent catch riff. Brilliant musicianship and soaring vocals, and alive with the artists' vitality. This has recently been reproduced as an utterly degenerate version of the G&R original.



In contrast, The Cranberries "Zombie" has recently been remade by Bad Wolf's version. Performed by (actual) musicians who fully understand that when covering an older song, one must acknowledge and utmostly respect the brilliance of the original, and as a act of dedication, love and courage, the cover must do it justice!

As I’ve already said, the lyrics in dance music most often provide nothing more that a bit of relief; something to relate to, or something to uplift you & to help get you dancing. Technically they are often not as elaborate as a nursery rhyme.
I found the dance music that was out there in the 90’s & early 00’s to be very enjoyable & uplifting. I would not call the lyrics infantile at all, they were often very much for the minds of (young) adults.
I wonder with Blah Blah Blah if it is intended to appeal to older children & younger teens to encourage them to take an interest in dance music.

I have similar thoughts about that ‘Sweet Child’ cover, which I don’t see as being degenerate at all, it’s just made to a different genre of music, & I don’t find that to be important.
Sometimes it's clear that a piece of music or a song is just not for me.

It also seems unfair to compare dance lyrics with the song writing of other genres. Dance doesn’t have a great deal to say because it’s about dancing. Rap, rock, & other genre’s are as much about the songs as they are about the music, if not more so.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Altair Altair is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,183
  Altair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro
I found the dance music that was out there in the 90’s & early 00’s to be very enjoyable & uplifting.
Absolutely! Wouldn’t consider it “spiritual” or anything but it was uplifting, it gave energy and I still listen to it from time to time. Every genre has its place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro
It also seems unfair to compare dance lyrics with the song writing of other genres. Dance doesn’t have a great deal to say because it’s about dancing. Rap, rock, & other genre’s are as much about the songs as there are about the music, if not more so.
Great point, and lyrics IMO are rarely good in music, often meaningless drivel and in many pop songs but also rock and alternative rock it’s just rubbish nonsense that perpetuates the cultural belief in “romantic love”.. BUT the rhythm may be great!

Actually I prefer music with no lyrics at all! The most beautiful music for me are sounds for meditation, classical, and many video game tracks. All of them can get my mind elsewhere whereas lyrics keep us more in this world!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums