Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 08-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Newbie ;)

Angel1 hare krishna Vegetarian

why hare krishna don't eat garlic and onions mashroom
Old 08-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Master
I am not a hare krishna but here's one answer:

Quote:
According to Ayurveda, India's classic medical science, foods are grouped into three categories - sattvic, rajasic and tamasic - foods in the modes of goodness, passion and ignorance. Onions and garlic, and the other alliaceous plants are classified as rajasic and tamasic, which means that they increase passion and ignorance.

Those that subscribe to pure brahmana-style cooking of India, including myself, and Vaishnavas - followers of Lord Vishnu, Rama and Krishna - like to only cook with foods from the sattvic category. These foods include fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs, dairy products, grains and legumes, and so on. Specifically, Vaisnavas do not like to cook with rajasic or tamasic foods because they are unfit to offer to the Deity.

Rajasic and tamasic foods are also not used because they are detrimental to meditation and devotions. "Garlic and onions are both rajasic and tamasic, and are forbidden to yogis because they root the consciousness more firmly in the body", says well-known authority on Ayurveda, Dr. Robert E. Svoboda.
http://food.krishna.com/article/why-no-garlic-or-onions

There's definitely truth to those three modes of food from my experience. Stuff like coffee should be quite obvious to anyone who's into meditation or yoga.
The more one practices the more one becomes aware of additional foods and drinks that cause issues..
Old 09-12-2018, 01:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnulakshmi
why hare krishna don't eat garlic and onions mashroom

I think that tradition was in place prior to the Hare Krishnas, and it is common enough in Hindu and Buddhist dietary practice. I have heard all sorts of special spiritual reasons, but I believe these foods were omitted from the diet because they make your farts stink out the meditation hall.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Master
Actually, some of the foods that make us fart - beans and green vegetables like spinach and broccoli, and also cauliflower - are all considered sattvic food..
In other words.. it got nothing to do with farting, and instead got everything to do with subtle energies. Certain foods simply inhibit or reduce our connection to the divine.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Actually, some of the foods that make us fart - beans and green vegetables like spinach and broccoli, and also cauliflower - are all considered sattvic food..
In other words.. it got nothing to do with farting, and instead got everything to do with subtle energies. Certain foods simply inhibit or reduce our connection to the divine.

But they aren't stinky farts...
Old 10-01-2019, 09:59 PM
Master
lol since the topic of farting was broached, we should look at why these certain foods make us fart and is that a good thing or bad thing?

I too heard garlic and onions were not ideal foods and one day I hope to eliminate or limit them, but for now I love them and use them in most of my cooking.

from what I gather, which is certainly not the whole picture, some of the reasons that garlic and onions are not the best foods have to do with them being stimulant, overly antimicrobial apparently killing off good bacteria and such we want the body to keep, and also their sulfur content, which while an essential mineral, is also a toxin and sulfur suppresses symptoms of pain and illness. but some of the most famed healthy vegetables also contain sulfur, the cruciferous vegetables cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, etc.. and there is research suggesting that they are anti-carcinogenic. which most produce is, but there's the question of whether or not they leave any damage or anything unwanted behind or if they are completely harmless. which is the question with most all foods or things we consume. Too often we weigh them on a scale at the store to see how much a couple pounds is gonna cost us, or weigh the pros and cons of the taste versus how many pounds eating this or that will add to our body lol, but we really need to be measuring how much positive and potential negative a given food or substance is going to impart at the end of the day after it's digested.

so in my opinion, for now I would say that garlic and onion are sort of like lesser-grade herbs, and could have a use as antibiotic and have other healthful properties, but overall if you are not needing to run a course of antibiotics or want something even more friendly like many herbs or other foods, then don't consume them if you don't feel that much desire to eat them. what is interesting to me is that consuming raw garlic makes my stomach hurt, well it makes me very nauseous and sick feeling, for a matter of seconds. I assumed this was because of its antimicrobial properties and that unwelcome visitors in my body were unappreciative of me feeding them raw garlic. one time I even accidentally ate my mom's garlic, which was not organic, and the garlic I bought was. and I was surprised upon eating what I thought was my garlic that I didn't get the nausea or little tummy ache. I only eat little nibbles, I don't eat a whole clove raw at a time for the record.. anyways later I saw my organic garlic was over in another area of the kitchen, so the fact I ate my mom's 'conventional' garlic explained why I didn't get the usual symptom. Now I don't know if this is true for all non-organic garlic cuz some of it might still give you that symptom, I don't know. but I do know that most garlic, and I think onions too, that aren't organic, have been fumigated or irradiated or otherwise poisoned before hitting the supermarket shelves! I believe the government, of the United States anyway, actually mandates that those and all spices that aren't organic be hit with radiation or gas or some sort of toxic processing before being sold.. you know, for our health

so if you are going to consume garlic or onions, try to get organic or at least make sure it wasn't fumigated or irradiated. but hey maybe that toxic processing helps soften the
perhaps undesired effects that the products naturally have? I wouldn't count on it being worthwhile though
Old 11-01-2019, 09:23 AM
Master
There’s basically three ‘modes’; sattvic (goodness), rajas (passion), and tamas (ignorance). This relates not just to food but also activities and even the colours one wears or surrounds one’s self with. As my link shows onions and garlic are classified as rajas and tamas.

To only eat sattvic food and do only sattvic things would be quite a challenge though, outside of a monastery life. Many healthy foods are also rajas. For instance.. olives and avocados are considered rajas, and food left overs are tamas. In both cases I don’t consider it very practical to eliminate them. I don’t know if one can be pure sattvic in everything. Having said that, it’s definitely interesting to experiment and some things rajas and plenty things tamas are a hindrance to spiritual practice. Something as “innocent” as coffee or something like alcohol has impact. With food you can observe a lot too. Garlic, and onions less so, are stimulating foods..