Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 PM
TeeHee

Christianity and the New Age Movement

1. What are any distinctions between Christianity and the New Age Movement?
  2. How do they relate to each other? Do they contradict each other or compliment each other?
  3. I often find that Scriptures must be reinterpreted or rejected in order to conform with New Age thought. So the next question is, how do you determine what Scriptures are to be rejected and which ones are to be supported? An example of this can be found in John 14:16.
  4. Do you consider yourself a New Age Christian? If so, how do you distinguish yourselves from "conservative" Christians? And if you are a Christian how do you distinguish yourself from New Ageism?
  5. How do you handle arguments in reference to scriptural meaning, that is when encountering the other side, Christian or New Age?
  6. Last Question, as a New Age follower who do you draw from as your most inspirational author? example Shirley Maclaine. Same question to Christians, I'm looking for Authors of an extrabiblical nature.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Master

I see Christianity and New Age as being very similar in real world situations. I think that's why both despise each other so much, because they're so similar. Which makes sense because of being from the West, people in a society tend to think similarly. I've been a part of both sides and both have pros and cons. I don't think one is better than the other.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I see Christianity and New Age as being very similar in real world situations. I think that's why both despise each other so much, because they're so similar. Which makes sense because of being from the West, people in a society tend to think similarly. I've been a part of both sides and both have pros and cons. I don't think one is better than the other.

Can you refer to any of the questions and answer them, list the distinctions as an example? This would greatly help in satisfying a curiosity.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
Can you refer to any of the questions and answer them, list the distinctions as an example? This would greatly help in satisfying a curiosity.
You asked about distinctions, but can I try to list some similarities?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
You asked about distinctions, but can I try to list some similarities?

Sure if you'd like.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Mayflow

I recently heard a current age Joel Osteen sermon which I think ties some of this together.

He talked about honor. About honoring your mother and your father as in the old testament, and about honoring everyone in this same manner - like in the new testament "Golden Rule" principle.

So what is "new age?" - The Buddhist answer is every moment.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:16 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow
I recently heard a current age Joel Osteen sermon which I think ties some of this together.

He talked about honor. About honoring your mother and your father as in the old testament, and about honoring everyone in this same manner - like in the new testament "Golden Rule" principle.

So what is "new age?" - The Buddhist answer is every moment.

I am referring specifically to the New Age Movement. Not a "new age." The New Age Movement could be arguably considered a religious movement, but has been adopted by many in the "Spiritual" genre.

But thanks Mayflow, hope to read more of your responses.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
I am referring specifically to the New Age Movement. Not a "new age." The New Age Movement could be arguably considered a religious movement, but has been adopted by many in the "Spiritual" genre.

But thanks Mayflow, hope to read more of your responses.

What do you mean by "new age movement?"
Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 PM
TeeHee

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_age

Edited by Staff

Last edited by arive nan : 17-02-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Mayflow

In that case:

Quote:
  1. What are any distinctions between Christianity and the New Age Movement? I see none from a true Christian.
  2. How do they relate to each other? Do they contradict each other or compliment each other? Complement.
  3. I often find that Scriptures must be reinterpreted or rejected in order to conform with New Age thought. So the next question is, how do you determine what Scriptures are to be rejected and which ones are to be supported? An example of this can be found in John 14:16.
  4. Do you consider yourself a New Age Christian? If so, how do you distinguish yourselves from "conservative" Christians? And if you are a Christian how do you distinguish yourself from New Ageism?

I don't consider myself a Christian or anything but free of mind.
  5. How do you handle arguments in reference to scriptural meaning, that is when encountering the other side, Christian or New Age?

Not interested in such arguments.
  6. Last Question, as a New Age follower who do you draw from as your most inspirational author? example Shirley Maclaine. Same question to Christians, I'm looking for Authors of an extrabiblical nature.

Dalai Lama, Plato, Buddha, Bible, Hermann Hesse, pretty much everyone.