Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 09-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Master
I accept that a wonderful man named Jesus walked the earth all those years ago and shared his awareness with others. If i was to discover, through whatever means, that the story of his birth, life and death was purely 'make-believe' then i would
look for other works by the same author lol
Old 11-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye
What would you do if you found out that Jesus never existed? Would it destroy your faith? Would you walk away from all spiritual paths? How would it effect your life?

Mind's Eye - That's a 2-fold question. If Jesus never existed to begin with that wouldn't make any difference to me because my faith is not based primarily on him coming to earth, dying for man's sins and ascending to heaven, etc. My faith is deeper and starts with God.

Though if that were the case, the Bible would have had to omit the existence of Jesus to begin with as well, otherwise I would have a major problem. If the Bible were as it is with the inclusion of Jesus and it was proven that Jesus never existed I would question my whole belief system; my entire faith and some spiritual paths I've taken would fall apart. I would feel like my compass was broken and my principles were based on lies. I would wonder if God was real as well at that point.

Blackraven
Old 05-03-2022, 06:58 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye
What would you do if you found out that Jesus never existed? Would it destroy your faith? Would you walk away from all spiritual paths? How would it effect your life?

I've been through this ... not from the "Jesus existing" aspect, but the fact that this end and return was supposed to have happened back in their time. Yes, there was no "date" - but it was expected back then.

The entire picture breaks down to two errors people never see:

1) This religion was formed from the earlier Zoroastrian "end times and one coming" story. The "one coming" was the Saoshyant, and this story found its way into the Semitic culture via the exile and the time they spent with those people. When they returned home, the story was rewritten, the Saoshyant became the Messiah, this traveled down to Christianity and Jesus - and it all failed to happen because it was based on another failed story.

2) There are a number of scriptures that point out this "inevitable" end times picture, but they are always dismissed.

As an example, Jesus told Caiaphas the high priest that he would see the son of man coming upon the clouds of heaven. (Matt 26:64)

Technically, since this hasn't happened, Caiaphas is around 2000 years old, and is still somewhere on the planet. All you need to do is find him.

There are other verses that say the same thing to people, that some who are standing here will not taste death until they see this "coming." This base idea ties to: For yet in a very little while, He who is coming will come, and will not delay. (Heb.10:37). So, those people who hadn't died yet, would be around to see this happen. Again, since it hasn't happened, they should be around on the planet somewhere waiting ... find them. All I can say is - "a very little while" is not 2000 rounded years.

As far as 'would this destroy your faith' ... like everything else, I'm all about the information. People short circuit when this pops up. It all boils down to: 'If THIS isn't reality - what IS?'

All religions that have ever existed rely on programming and unquestioned belief. I'm sorry ... I have questions.
"You have to work really hard, and you have to be prepared to fail over and over again, and to make mistakes over and over again ... we have to experiment with every stupid wrong idea before we get on to the right one."
Dr Lee Smolin
"It isn't that they can't see the solution, it's that they can't see the problem."
G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
Old 05-03-2022, 10:31 PM
Master
QUOTE 2 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Well i already know that Jesus never existed and it doesn't change anything in my spiritual thinking, all i ever do see in the so called story of Jesus is a beautiful metaphor of becoming One with the Source, or God.

I'm not going to engage in the dialogue regarding whether Jesus existed or not.

However, like psychoslice, the existence or non-existence of Jesus "doesn't change anything in my spiritual thinking". I would simply accept that "the so-called story of Jesus is a beautiful metaphor of becoming One with the source, or God". I would continue to use the same wisdom quotes attributed to Jesus that I quote now with specific audiences.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:33 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I would simply accept that "the so-called story of Jesus is a beautiful metaphor of becoming One with the source, or God".

But yet, if you look at the data, even "God" is a problem because monotheism did not exist until the mid-1300s BC. It too traveled to the Zoroastrian religion, changed from "the sun" to a "being" ... and again traveled down the road of history via the Semites to us today. I wonder what we are in the middle of?
"You have to work really hard, and you have to be prepared to fail over and over again, and to make mistakes over and over again ... we have to experiment with every stupid wrong idea before we get on to the right one."
Dr Lee Smolin
"It isn't that they can't see the solution, it's that they can't see the problem."
Old 05-03-2022, 11:46 PM
Master
QUOTE 36 EXCERPT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Case
But yet, if you look at the data, even "God" is a problem because monotheism did not exist until the mid-1300s BC.
The "concept" of God can indeed vary significantly from person to person and that does indeed present a problem, as you duly noted. I used "Source" and "God" in my post primarily because so many people think in those terms.

Monotheism reportedly existed in Judaism with Abraham around the year 2000 BC ... but the existence of Abraham, the Exodus, and other stories in the Jewish Bible are widely questioned.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:53 PM
Master
QUOTE 34 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Case
I've been through this ... not from the "Jesus existing" aspect, but the fact that this end and return was supposed to have happened back in their time. Yes, there was no "date" - but it was expected back then.

All religions that have ever existed rely on programming and unquestioned belief. I'm sorry ... I have questions.

I read your posts with great interest as you question everything quite reasonably, as I do, and discussions with the "unquestioned belief" groups are rarely productive (at least for me) other than to get an idea of where they are coming from.

I agree with you completely that Biblical writings clearly indicate that the end of times and the return was expected back then ... and obviously didn't happen.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:04 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
QUOTE 34 EXCERPT:
I read your posts with great interest as you question everything quite reasonably, as I do, and discussions with the "unquestioned belief" groups are rarely productive (at least for me) other than to get an idea of where they are coming from.

I agree with you completely that Biblical writings clearly indicate that the end of times and the return was expected back then ... and obviously didn't happen.

It gets even more weird than that; unfortunately, the necessary information for verification has been lost and replaced by religion. As far back as I can go as to WHY the Zoroastrians started this "end times" picture is about 630ish BC and deals with the work of Dr Andrew Solow. It seems the magnetic north slipped down over Babylon and Assyria and people were seeing aurora. This went on for centuries. He did a rather large collection of the "interpretations" that were given by the people back then, and you can see how easy it is for the religious leaders back then to put 1 and 1 together and get 75.

From here back to C 13,000 it's all speculation, but it SEEMS this "end times" story does have an origin. We can get into that tomorrow if you're into it.
Dr Lee Smolin
Old 06-03-2022, 02:23 AM
Master
The end times are as simple as when you die..
On a global happening, well, look round you? It was said there would be signs..
Jesus said, no one knows exactly when, this is interesting, hmmmm

Tomorrow?

And then tomorrow never comes, are we all stuck in today, forever?
Here, have a potato..

Nowayout of your delusions..
Old 06-03-2022, 02:33 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound
I accept that a wonderful man named Jesus walked the earth all those years ago and shared his awareness with others. If i was to discover, through whatever means, that the story of his birth, life and death was purely 'make-believe' then i would
look for other works by the same author lol

That was good.

Jesus was miss understood, it's obvious to me, look at all the division, yet I am a Christian. I love a "good "puzzle. The Buddha left me with one hand clapping. The Upanishads gave me Brahman and Shiva to boot me around.

I am, saith, my Lord.. the proof is in the pudding. Taste and see the Lord is Good.

If Jesus never was, then carry on, who cares?