Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Trieah

Question

If someone creates a new tarot deck, and basally changes the traditional meanings of the cards around to make it sound more "sunshine, lollipops and rainbows", would the reading still be considered accurate? Or would it be misguiding by putting on a blindfold to the actual traditional meaning of that card? Or should such a tarot deck be treated more like a huge oracle deck, by just throwing out the traditional meaning and going with the "fluffy" new meaning?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Master

A good reader should be able to see the real energy behind the card whether the "meaning" was fluffy bunnies or hell's hounds.

I use the Quest deck often, and in it is a blank card one can use to make a personal card. I made this card with a symbol specific to me on it.

Occasionally, when I read for others this card comes up or it comes up to mean things other than me. Once it meant truth. Sometimes it means a modern symbol that the querent identifies with. Sometimes it literally means me, and sometimes it is a consciousness.

It's the same card every time, but it takes on a different meaning. I find this is true with the whole deck, depending on the questions and the reader.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Trieah

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymystique
A good reader should be able to see the real energy behind the card whether the "meaning" was fluffy bunnies or hell's hounds.

Heh, that might be the key right there. I'm actually much better at reading oracle cards then tarot. But I seem to be having some success in the "tarot school" with my more traditional meaning deck. And another thing about this deck, is that the creator wanted to get rid of the reversal meaning, since reversals meanings can be a little too straight forward as to the heart of the matter. Yet, she's gone and added a wee bit of what a revers card could possibly mean, but she's stuck it in with the general meaning of the card. Leaving one to figure out if the card means "positive" or "negative" all on their own without the aid of having the card physically reversed.

I'm more of a visual person when it comes to cards, and while the pictures in this deck are quite lovely, for the most part they don't seem to really get the message of the card across. Guess I'll just have to play around with this deck for a while to get a feel for them.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Master

The best reader I know never reads reversed. She straight up reads the cards and then fills in whatever Spirit tells her.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Neville

This is an interesting question. Because within each of lifes negative experiences lies the kernel of positivity.. The bad times leave you with more wisdom than the good times.. So applying this to Tarot for example , you draw the Tower Card..

So I says.. Your World is falling to pieces , the rug has been pulled from under your feet, expect all you thought you could rely on to fall down about you.

Not very Helpful IMO.

Alternatively

Say you drew the Tower card. I says... Most of the old conventions in your life are now swiftly being swept away. all that as old , out dated and lacks substance is now being excised so that you will be left with a blank canvas on which to start anew in a world full of new possibility and potential(depending on other cards to some extent)

Well, I know which version I prefer .

It is not in my view as simple as dressing it all up nice. but as a Tarot guide and Councillor (Which I have been). The issue is to guide a person if possible away from or out of adversity if possible. At the very least altering ones perception of adverse issues, inviting a person to view such adversety from other angles is prime.

The Five of Cups is one of the greatest pointers of all. It asks a person not to focus on the spilled cups but those that remain standing just out of sight.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Quagmire

I would say that you bond with your cards, and that makes the cards your own. This means that there exist no "traditional" meaning of the cards only guidelines you should follow if they resonate with you. The cards are your companion so just follow your intuition that is all you should ever do.